Selbourne ‘Live’ from Ventura

Selbourne

On 10/28/2023 at 5:29 PM, Selbourne said:

Day 1 (Embarkation to departure)

We had a good run down to Southampton in glorious sunshine, until we got to Hampshire when the heavens opened! We arrived at Mayflower Cruise Terminal at midday and wondered where everyone was! There were dozens of CPS staff waiting and we were checked in immediately. As before, they kindly offered to call a porter for us and one appeared quickly. There was a short queue of early arrivers being held outside, but as priority boarders we were waived straight through. We checked in at the assisted boarding desk and were through security and on the ship bang on our 1215 slot. Very impressive. They didn’t offer us assistance, which was a bit naughty, but we coped fine.  

First impressions as we embarked were ten times better than when we boarded Iona. Rather than look like an airport, this looks and feels like a proper ship. Also, as we walked around it looks like a quality environment and not like a conference hotel, as Iona does (to us anyway). Doubtless we shall miss the excellent dining options on Iona, but I have to say that we feel instantly at home. 

After checking in at our muster station we went to the MDR for the loyalty lunch. We asked for a table for 2 but this was impossible apparently 🤔 Anyhow we ended up on a table for four and actually got on really well with the other couple. Wine service was painfully slow compared to Iona and Britannia but both myself and Ray (the other chap) were equally assertive in ensuring that our glasses were kept topped up 😂 Lunch was very pleasant and was a waiter served meal (menu below). 

After lunch we went to our cabin (accessible Superior Deluxe balcony cabin and our cases were already there. The cabin is huge, almost like a mini suite, with separate lounge and bedroom areas. Being wheelchair accessible there is plenty of floor space in all areas. The wardrobe and cupboard space is vast. We had two very large cases and have not even used half of the wardrobes, cupboards and drawers. Never had that luxury before. 

I was all unpacked after an hour or so and after looking through all the literature (sail away vouchers, dining confirmation, Horizon etc) we decided to go and check out our dinner table. We are second sitting club (as confirmed) but the table for 2 is always ‘requested but not confirmed’. There was nobody at the Bay Tree restaurant so we just wandered in and found our allocated table. We are very happy. It’s a nice stand alone table for 2 (not the banquette type) very near the window. The menu for tonight suits us both, which is good as the first night menu can be weak. Any menu with lamb suits me just fine 😂 

We then headed to Tazine for a coffee. Again, unlike Iona (where it’s just part of the atrium) it’s a nice dedicated space - like a proper coffee shop. Service was immediate as well, even though it was almost full (Iona was a struggle as there was one poor chap on his own half the time and people ended up queuing up at the counter rather than waiting). Also, on Iona you got a free wafer thin slice of banana loaf, but on here it was a big choice of pastries and cakes. We both had full size apple and cinnamon muffins - complimentary. 👍

We are back in the cabin now and the horn has sounded and the thrusters are on. We shall wave to @TigerB as we pass Iona on our way out. The captain has just said that we are expecting 5 to 6 metre waves tomorrow as we head to the Bay of Biscay 🤮 That should be fun 😂 

So far so good and the most noticeable difference so far is that the ship feels so quiet compared to Iona (which felt rammed). Next stop Madeira on Wednesday. Wish us luck 😂 

IMG_0818.jpeg

Every upper tier and suite welcome onboard lunch we've ever been to has been buffet style so I was absolutely blown away by the above menu. It's better than the current MDR offerings and unusually I'd be happy to eat any of the options for starters, mains or dessert. I hope we get similar on Ventura in 2025.

Thanks for posting, your comments are enjoyable as always and I'm looking forward to following your adventures closely. Have a great cruise.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We were in the BoB on Indy in a force 10. Very stable.

Strangely, although every announcement so far has referred to the rough seas, no mention has been made of what ‘force’ we are experiencing. I’ve certainly seen far worse seas than this, but this ship seems to move around more than most. I shall be kissing the tarmac when we disembark in Funchal tomorrow 😂 

Edited by Selbourne
  • Like 2
  • Haha 10

1 minute ago, Selbourne said:

Strangely, although every announcement so far has referred to the rough seas, no mention has been made of what ‘force’ we are experiencing. I’ve certainly seen far worse seas than this, but this ship seems to move around more than most. I shall be kissing the tarmac when we disembark in Funchal tomorrow 😂 

I'm normally OK, buy DW feels it when the ship is rolling, or we are standing up. She has a dodgy ear and blames that.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Can Lady S please 🙏 take a photo of you kissing the pavement in Funchal tomorrow…….🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 13

12 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I'm normally OK, buy DW feels it when the ship is rolling, or we are standing up. She has a dodgy ear and blames that.

Thankfully I’ve been fine and my wife only felt poorly for one day, but we sat next to a lady at lunch yesterday who said that the prolonged motion had triggered her labyrinthitis and she had been suffering. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

I now have an image in my head of you kissing the tarmac quayside like the late Pope John Paul II then being whisked away in a popemobile.

• Haha 15

You know it is bad when they close all the decks. Seems to happen more regularly in the past couple of years. Worst seas I have experienced recently have been North and Atlantic. Still better than BoB on a 42 foot sailing yacht when I was growing up though! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

The Force is shown on the Ship channel on your TV.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

The Force is shown on the Ship channel on your TV.

Not on here Jean - I’ve checked. Currently cruising at 18.8 knots (the last few days had slowed us down to as little as 10 knots at times) and wind has dropped to 28 knots. It’s warm and sunny at last, so folk are venturing out on to sun decks. Still some movement but minor compared to the past few days. Cabin still managing to creak though 🙄

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Selbourne said:

Not on here Jean - I’ve checked. Currently cruising at 18.8 knots (the last few days had slowed us down to as little as 10 knots at times) and wind has dropped to 28 knots. It’s warm and sunny at last, so folk are venturing out on to sun decks. Still some movement but minor compared to the past few days. Cabin still managing to creak though 🙄

Oh that's odd.  It was on one of the pages on Aurora.  I would have thought they would all be the same, but then.............  So 28 knots is just under a Force 7.

Edited by jeanlyon
  • Like 1

On Arcadia tomorrow, received this message last night from P&O...... So looking forward to a night watching Southampton dockside!

Dear 

We are looking forward to welcoming you on board Arcadia on Wednesday.

Due to the severe weather forecast for the South of England on Wednesday 1st November, we have taken the decision to delay Arcadia’s departure by 24 hours.  Arcadia will be remaining alongside in Southampton on Wednesday evening and into Thursday, allowing for the worst of the weather to pass overhead.

Your embarkation remains unchanged, please therefore ensure that you arrive on Wednesday at the time shown on your boarding pass.  Scheduled entertainment and dining will remain unchanged during the time alongside in Southampton.      

We are keeping a close eye on the weather forecast and will make necessary adjustments to the itinerary should this be necessary. 

We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Kind regards

P&O Cruises

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Hampshire Steve said:

On Arcadia tomorrow, received this message last night from P&O...... So looking forward to a night watching Southampton dockside!

Dear 

We are looking forward to welcoming you on board Arcadia on Wednesday.

Due to the severe weather forecast for the South of England on Wednesday 1st November, we have taken the decision to delay Arcadia’s departure by 24 hours.  Arcadia will be remaining alongside in Southampton on Wednesday evening and into Thursday, allowing for the worst of the weather to pass overhead.

Your embarkation remains unchanged, please therefore ensure that you arrive on Wednesday at the time shown on your boarding pass.  Scheduled entertainment and dining will remain unchanged during the time alongside in Southampton.      

We are keeping a close eye on the weather forecast and will make necessary adjustments to the itinerary should this be necessary. 

We look forward to welcoming you on board.

Kind regards

P&O Cruises

It looks horrendous for Thursday.  Here at the Harbour Office, we are moving boats to more sheltered moorings.  It's a force 11 from the West on Thursday and the residual swell will last long after that.  Enjoy!

• Like 3

Just now, jeanlyon said:

It looks horrendous for Thursday.  Here at the Harbour Office, we are moving boats to more sheltered moorings.  It's a force 11 from the West on Thursday and the residual swell will last long after that.  Enjoy!

Oh joy! We have been on Arcadia in 10 metre seas out of Iceland before, it does handle quite well and it's unlikely to keep me out of the Ocean Grill! Shame we might miss a port however Cadiz on a Sunday is not the most exciting place (in my opinion)

• Like 2

11 hours ago, terrierjohn said:

If you have walked around the sun deck you will have stepped over the crack.  Although being the top deck it was built of aluminium for lightness, and it isn't load bearing.

This may not be visible anymore. Since the pandemic P&O have been papering over the cracks.

• Haha 5

Just now, Selbourne said:

Just to say that my trial 24 hours WiFi comes to an end in a few minutes. We have 5 port days in a row after today, so I will have free coverage as part of my mobile phone package. 

Thanks for keeping us up to date. Glad things are brightening up.  Looking forward to hearing more when you get the chance.

Meantime enjoy!

• Like 7

Thank you Selbourne for your blog of the cruise. My sister and her husband are on board and I only hope she was well equipped with Stugeron and wrist bands as she doesn't travel well. They play table tennis each day and I expect that has been closed to them because of the pitching.

We once travelled back from St Petersburg on Azura with a very tricky port/starboard list due to the weather. It lasted almost a day and it was like walking up/downhill. It made eating and service in the cafeteria interesting. We were glad it had settled by bed time!

I hope for all of you on board that tomorrow will signal a return to normal weather. I look forward to enjoying the rest of your posts.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Selbourne said:

Just to say that my trial 24 hours WiFi comes to an end in a few minutes. We have 5 port days in a row after today, so I will have free coverage as part of my mobile phone package. 

I hope Ventura will be able to get into Madeira - we lost Visby on a flat-looking sea last year due to adverse currents, swell and a lack of tugs - sailed in and immediately turned round and sailed out without docking.

19 hours ago, lindyloo22 said:

Selbourne I was on Venture last year and you could not walk around the prom deck it was closed off, is this still the case as I am going her her next year. Hope the weather has calmed down for you have a good cruise.

It’s an odd one, as the port side exits to the promenade deck (forward and midships) have been closed most of the cruise so far, BUT most other exits were open and you could walk around the entire promenade deck other than the raised forward section, so the door closures were completely pointless! There are a lot of smokers on this cruise, so I suspect that they felt that they had to allow access to the starboard (smoking) side to avoid civil war 😂 

• Haha 2