Ardent balcony chain smokers - Princess is the line for you!

CaribNomad

If this had been us, we would have contacted Guest Services.  If that didn't do it, I would write a note to the Hotel GM and the head of security and have the front desk make copies for them, and one for you. If still not resolved I would copy the Captain.  Be sure to jot down all of the calls (date/time, etc) and the visits to the front desk.  Just keep it up.  If nothing is done, or if it takes days to get something done, write another note for the Hotel GM before leaving the ship and demand an answer and compensation for the lost enjoyment of your trip.  For all the rules and the fares they are getting, they can fine the neighbors and credit you the amount of the fine.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Interesting point... has anyone ever been fined for smoking on a Princess ship?

I don't know for sure but I do know that people next to us one cruise were repeatedly warned before they quit.

• Like 1

A very unfortunate situation which may have no solution unless the onboard staff are willing to act rather than make excuses.   We assume the OP complained to their cabin steward and possibly Guest Relations.  But, when nothing is done, it might be helpful to elevate the issue (always being polite and respectful).  Next step is to ask (at Guest Relations) to speak with the Guest Relations Manager.  If there is no solution than one can politely ask for an appointment with the Hotel/General Manager!  Make sure to document all your contacts, conversations, names, and attempts.  

In 50 years of extensive cruising, we have never found a magic formula to deal with all "issues" that might arise onboard.  As a general rule we believe in gradually "elevating" issues by use of some charm mixed with being gently assertive.  If an issue (such as posted by the OP) is seriously impacting your cruise, you should not be shy in elevating, even if it means requesting an appointment with the Hotel/GM.  One should always be polite and respectful, but also make it clear that a situation is not acceptable.  Always document everything (keep a log of the issue, who you have seen, etc).  

Unfortunately, these kind of issues may not have a happy ending.   For some of us, it might mean no longer booking a particular cruise line or perhaps a multi-year boycott.  Having cruised on 17 lines, we have some lines we have avoided for years (i.e. RCI, Celebrity, Azamara, etc) because of various "issues."  We simply move on to other lines that better meet our needs/wants.

Hank

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2023 at 5:31 PM, BamaVol said:

They don’t seem worried about you posting a complaint here. 

i’d love to see Princess’s written response.  You should write them.

I also had to endure cigarette smoke on a repositioning Royal Princess cruise A 27 day cruise from Vancouver to Sydney Australia. I complained to our steward , guest services, the supervisor of hotel management and security. Nothing could be done unless I took a picture or he was caught in the act by ship personnel. I complained about this on my review. I have not heard anything back from Princess. This is a big safety issue.  

• Like 3

On 10/31/2023 at 4:20 AM, Snaxmuppet said:

Interesting point... has anyone ever been fined for smoking on a Princess ship?

Just fined? Heck, I'd mention explicitly in the cruise contract that if anyone is caught smoking aboard in an unauthorized area, they will be put ashore at the next port of call and they can figure out how to get back home on their own.

• Like 5

On 10/30/2023 at 12:52 AM, Snaxmuppet said:

Definitely write. It won't help with your experience and it probably won't get you are compensation (haha!) but it will bring it to the attention of management and may help for future cruises.

I have reported smoking before on Sky and it was delt with immediately and didn't happen again so I don't know what happened there. The last big fire on a cruise ship was started by a cigarette on a balcony. Some cruise lines still allow smoking on balconies but not Princess.

Thank you for sharing this.

On 10/30/2023 at 4:38 AM, Snaxmuppet said:

Good luck with getting the ear of the captain. Guest Services staff are clearly trained to handle any issues that crop up with passengers. Not sure how you would actually do it.

In this case it is clear they are not trained to handle smoking on balconies.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Caper04 said:

also had to endure cigarette smoke on a repositioning Royal Princess cruise A 27 day cruise from Vancouver to Sydney Australia.

We would have considered it a challenge to video the person in the act. 😉

• Haha 3

We had this happen to us on Princess cruise in Sept. 

A Security person was visiting the person next door. I don't know why? 

But upon her leaving the room, I motioned for Security to come over, and explained

guest was smoking on her balcony at different times. (usually while calling on the phone)

Security then knocked on her door Again, and I heard her explain about Not smoking on balcony.

Just in case the offender did it again?

I DID record her thru the crack in our patio door to their side.

(It was either that or I was going to hold my phone over the wall or railing!)

Was easier to video the offender, and take a screen shot from the video.

Or heck, I could have showed Security the whole video.

Either way, I wasn't about to have THAT person ruin our balcony time.

Case closed.

• Like 7

I. Over 30 cruises on Princess we’ve been lucky to only have this problem three times. In each case we contacted GS, & they sent someone quickly. They spoke to the smokers, and in 2 cases we never smelled smoke again.  Once they had to go back a second time to stop the problem. I don’t remember which ships they were. 

Just a side note from our early morning departure on the Sky Princess today at 7:45 am. The smoking area on deck 7, aft, starboard was closed.  A lady stopped a security staff member and asked if she could go to another area to smoke. He politely said all smoking areas on the ship were closed until fueling of the ship was finished. She looked devastated.

• Like 1

Years ago we were in an inside cabin and someone in the balcony across from us was chain smoking the entire cruise. Each time we smelled smoke we called and someone would come check it out.  They would agree that they could smell smoke and that they knew where it was coming from but nothing was ever done about it. Of all ships this was on the Star Princess.

• Like 1