Survey about Solarium Family Hours

Luvcrusn

If you smell Chlorine, there’s not enough chlorine.  And you are not actually smelling chlorine. The cloudy water later in the day is mainly sunscreen…folks don’t rinse off before they get in the pool. 

A well-managed pool should not have an odor. Chloramines, which are responsible for pool smell, can be eliminated using chlorine. “Shock treatment” or “superchlorination” is the practice of adding extra chlorine to pools to destroy ammonia and the organic compounds that combine with chlorine to make chloramines. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

9 minutes ago, doghog said:

Agree with all those that the Solarium needs to be adults only.  No matter the time of day, weather or any another lame excuse. 

Simply isn't going to happen as that isn't the case now and they look to be increasing the family hours.  Half the time when there are kids and their parents in the solarium their parents are crew members

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Simply isn't going to happen as that isn't the case now and they look to be increasing the family hours.  Half the time when there are kids and their parents in the solarium their parents are crew members

I simply don't care. Just voicing my opinion to the question. 

• Like 4

I've never been on RC but isn't the solarium on there only adults? That's the way it's been advertised in videos I've watched. Not that I'm saying X and RC are the same but if Royal has the Solarium as adults only why is this even a discussion for X? 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Well...

image.thumb.png.c9c9ce246848474d9a0ee24acd7cfd5c.png

Isn't there some sort of chemical they can put in that turns the water a different color around someone peeing?  All Celebrity would have to do is put it in once in a while with a sign and that should deter people from doing it.

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, chemmo said:

Gosh,  I feel a bit on my own but I think families should be allowed to use the Solarium between set times (5pm to 7pm?) daily no matter where in the world the cruise is…

Most adults by then are either getting ready for dinner or already enjoying an early evening drink.

It is years now since we have cruised with a child but as long as Celebrity is taking the money off families then I do feel that their needs/wishes should be taken into account….

They can cruise on Royal instead!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

I've never been on RC but isn't the solarium on there only adults? That's the way it's been advertised in videos I've watched. Not that I'm saying X and RC are the same but if Royal has the Solarium as adults only why is this even a discussion for X? 

that has been the case..we have seen pool monitors  ask  families with children to leave...have seen some argue and cause a scene ( on X too) and we  had unsupervised children literally deface and damage  scrulptures in Solarium on Royal...a cruise from hell!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mn1111 said:

Isn't there some sort of chemical they can put in that turns the water a different color around someone peeing?  All Celebrity would have to do is put it in once in a while with a sign and that should deter people from doing it.

Yes but you’d imagine it would happen so frequently that changing the water every 15mins would be quite the chore 

19 minutes ago, Lena11033 said:

Currently 18 years old and older on RC. We were on the Eclipse October for a Pacific Coastal cruise and the solarium was listed as 16 years old and older.  We had great weather the entire cruise and very few kids on that cruise. 

Edited by doghog
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, doghog said:

Agree with all those that the Solarium needs to be adults only.  No matter the time of day, weather or any another lame excuse. 

I enjoy the solarium and the relative quiet too, but I also think it's unreasonable to not allow paying passengers (yes KSF sometimes but not always) to use these facilities if the weather is uncooperative.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, doghog said:

OK. Not sure why you needed to explain that as I didn't ask why. 

Sorry.

..I  tried to fix it but no luck

.your post had a quote  from Lena  that I was trying to respond to... Not able to sort it out...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

I enjoy the solarium and the relative quiet too, but I also think it's unreasonable to not allow paying passengers (yes KSF sometimes but not always) to use these facilities if the weather is uncooperative.

FWIW,  I don't. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, chemmo said:

Gosh,  I feel a bit on my own but I think families should be allowed to use the Solarium between set times (5pm to 7pm?) daily no matter where in the world the cruise is…

Most adults by then are either getting ready for dinner or already enjoying an early evening drink.

It is years now since we have cruised with a child but as long as Celebrity is taking the money off families then I do feel that their needs/wishes should be taken into account….

There are plenty of cruise lines that provide the floating amusement park experience. Celebrity has not been on that list to this point. I sincerely hope it stays that way.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Lena11033 said:

No the Solarium on RC is not exclusive adults only.  They have family hours - that's where all this is coming from.  As someone mentioned earlier, another move to have the Celebrity Experience like Royal Caribbean.  

I am not in favor of opening the solarium to children under the age of 21 for any period of time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

No the Solarium on RC is not exclusive adults only.  They have family hours - that's where all this is coming from.  As someone mentioned earlier, another move to have the Celebrity Experience like Royal Caribbean.  

I am not in favor of opening the solarium to children under the age of 21 for any period of time. 

Sorry, I missed the part on RC having family hours.

I'm more in favour of 18 and up as you are an adult at that point. But if they are pushing people with kids on board then the solarium should stay adults only. 

I don't mind well behaved kids but quite often that's not what you are going to see (at least based on my experience last summer) but then it's the parents that are allowing them to run wild

12 hours ago, RichYak said:

Because it's an adults only area and there's a really fun family-friendly pool just steps away.

I would at times say the outdoor pool is not friendly to families…There is always the ‘serious swimmer’ who feel it is appropriate to do full lengths in a pool regardless of swiping out of the way two six year olds and a grey haired elderly lady (me). To say nothing for the clique of elderly ladies (not me) standing in one area unwilling to move even when they are blocking access to the steps…

Also there is that temperature issue…There are many cruises where the outdoor pools are only for the hardy! The Mediterranean end of season, The Far East isn’t consistently hot and both TA and TP cruises can have many inclement days…

All I am trying to say is that I cannot see the hardship for most adults to have the Solarium open to families for just a couple of hours a day…

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

when I was a kid , I liked amusement parks . For me that ship has sailed no pun intended.

Now I enjoy a calmer more mature cruise experience that Celebrity has always provided.

That said there are many family focused cruise lines available where kids will have a better time .

If given a choice would you bring a kid to an amusement park or a piano bar ?

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, horseymike said:

when I was a kid , I liked amusement parks . For me that ship has sailed no pun intended.

Now I enjoy a calmer more mature cruise experience that Celebrity has always provided.

That said there are many family focused cruise lines available where kids will have a better time .

If given a choice would you bring a kid to an amusement park or a piano bar ?

Firstly not all children are the same…many children and teens prefer the ambiance on board a Celebrity ship to a RC one. I speak from experience. Also many people sailing are multigenerational groups. They are looking for a cruise line to suit every family member.

To be honest none of this is relevant…What is relevant is that Celebrity is not an adults only cruise line. As you have said families could move to RC they could tell you to book Virgin!

I honestly simply think that it is not unreasonable to open a facility (Solarium) for families to enjoy at a time when the people who have the facility the rest of the time are rarely using it.

As I said in my first post I cruise with a family at present who are all adults so I have no personal axe to grind…I simply feel that begrudging access for families at a quiet time is no big deal!

• Like 1