La Terrazza

rojaan19

There are 1800+ cheese varieties worldwide, but the usual mass produced suspects are always wheeled out. Doesn’t help when served by polite and friendly serving staff who are oblivious to this fact and the expectations of their customers.

Staff wise this was a similar model rolled out by British Airways over past two decades. The polished well paid cabin crew in First Class were slowly diluted by polite bubbly youngsters. On one flight in first I was asked what I would like to drink after take off before the wine list had been presented. I asked what wines were onboard, to which they replied, “red and white”, then followed up by “I don’t know if they’re any good, I only drink vodka”. After requesting the wine list and choosing by preferred wine, I was poured a glass to within 1mm (3/64th inch) of the rim. Surprised I wasn’t offered a straw.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I watched aTV documentary about Regent. It showed the ship provisioning whilst the commentary was banging on about gourmet cuisine. It then  showed a pallet load of a commercial brand of camambert  being loaded. That particular brand retails at a price below the normal supermarkets own brand price. But, as long as the accountants are happy😏

• Like 2

6 hours ago, lincslady said:

The photo looks to me like cheese scones.   Lovely, but surely not biscuits for cheese?

The photo was of cheese biscuits, i.e. biscuits containing cheese, not biscuits for cheese. 😀

3 hours ago, lincslady said:

I'm sure they are good, but to a Brit. look more like a scone, not a 'biscuit',  which to us is much thinner and flatter and less like a cake in appearance.

And to a North American, they look like a "biscuit", while what we eat with cheese is a "cracker".

• Like 1

11 hours ago, difranco said:

There are 1800+ cheese varieties worldwide, but the usual mass produced suspects are always wheeled out. Doesn’t help when served by polite and friendly serving staff who are oblivious to this fact and the expectations of their customers.

Staff wise this was a similar model rolled out by British Airways over past two decades. The polished well paid cabin crew in First Class were slowly diluted by polite bubbly youngsters. On one flight in first I was asked what I would like to drink after take off before the wine list had been presented. I asked what wines were onboard, to which they replied, “red and white”, then followed up by “I don’t know if they’re any good, I only drink vodka”. After requesting the wine list and choosing by preferred wine, I was poured a glass to within 1mm (3/64th inch) of the rim. Surprised I wasn’t offered a straw.

This is one area that Ponant excels at.  A wide array of French cheeses of course, but also good representatives from other parts of Europe (and on our Azores cruise one day that featured all the cheeses from the various Azorean islands).

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Americans call scones-biscuits, cheese biscuits -crackers, biscuits -cookies, jam -jelly, sweets -candies, chips -French fries, crisps -chips …

I know, very confusing.  I do tend to think American jam is more like jelly (sorry).  The only real one which can cause embarrassment is of course fanny, but we will draw a veil over that.  I have had one very awkward discussion on a hosted table with an American clergyman's wife on that topic, and no wish to repeat it.

Lola

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

This is one area that Ponant excels at.  A wide array of French cheeses of course, but also good representatives from other parts of Europe (and on our Azores cruise one day that featured all the cheeses from the various Azorean islands).

Must not carry over to their Paul Gauguin product.

16 hours ago, lincslady said:

I know, very confusing.  I do tend to think American jam is more like jelly (sorry).  The only real one which can cause embarrassment is of course fanny, but we will draw a veil over that.  I have had one very awkward discussion on a hosted table with an American clergyman's wife on that topic, and no wish to repeat it.

Lola

I also had a bit of explaining to do when I spoke to the New York office after a holiday and told them I had spent the previous week on the Norfolk Broads!

• Haha 1