No Thank You Nachi Cocom — From a snake to terrible food and drinks

smellywax

1 hour ago, lifes-a-beach said:

Wife and I went to Nachi Cocom for the first time 2 Wednesdays ago, November 29th.  I must preface my observations; I don’t drink alcohol at all and my wife is a cheap date.  We really went because we don’t like the huge crowds and loud music that are common at many of the AI beach clubs.  They have a pool which is important to my wife.  They advertise not allowing rowdy, drunken behavior. We do like to eat but aren’t all that particular, myself less than my wife.  We also wanted to try something new having been to Cozumel probably 40 times on cruises.

Getting there was easy, somehow we were put into a van, just the 2 of us.  They take your picture when you arrive and then want to sell you one later, which we politely declined.  We did see folks happily buying the picture and we were never asked a second time so I commend them for this.  

The entire property was clean and the beach looked great.  We were given choices and took 2 chairs on the beach under a palapa.  Later in the day we moved up by the pool for some sun.  There is also a small hot tub attached to the pool which had folks in it all day.  Beach and pool were very nice all day.

The food consisted of a 4 course lunch chosen from a menu that I would characterize as limited.  Appetizer, salad or fruit (this part I honestly can’t remember but I have a picture of a fruit plate on my phone), main course and dessert.  My appetizer was nachos.  My wife’s was guacamole. Both were good but small portions, at least by our estimations.  The fruit was fresh and very good.  My main course was grilled shrimp.  They were offered several ways but I chose grilled.  They were very good and came with some mixed vegetables.  Since I already know shrimp are all imported there, and the vegetables were likely done from one of those frozen bags (cauliflower, zucchini, broccoli and zucchini, all a single piece, and two pieces of carrots), I wasn’t disappointed, although not impressed either.  My wife got shrimp cocktail which amounted to about 6 medium sized shrimp in a small glass with single slices of vegetables and an olive.  She was not impressed.  Dessert was not bad.  She had some sort of cake with a small scoop of ice cream and I had a piece of something I can’t remember.  And that was it for food all day.  I had a Diet Coke and she had tea.

Through the day we had some smoothies and she had a couple of frozen something-or-others alcohol drinks.  I also had several bottles of water.  

The restrooms were very clean and I saw them being maintained all day.

The service was very good and the staff were attentive, if a little busy and not especially engaging.  If I were to compare them to those at Paradise Beach it wouldn’t even be close.  Paradise Beach staff are much more friendly and engaging.  

We left around 3 and it was easy to get a cab back, just asked one of the wait staff and he shortly told us the cab number and it was there is 5 minutes.  On our way back we passed dozens of cabs lined up at the other beach clubs so one likely came to get us from there.

Overall I would give it a 7 out of 10.  Much quieter than other AI places.  Clean, good service and a nice day.  The food, or lack thereof, made it not a great value for us since alcohol isn’t a deciding factor.  As always YMMV.

I think this is a fair assessment. 

we have been maybe 3 - 4 times in 15 years. It is a good alternative to have in rotation for a quieter day but not somewhere we would return to time and time again like many.

Food size has always been adequate for us (and we are not big eaters). Some maintain portions are really big, which we have never found to be the case, but if they have cut them down and increased the price it is becoming somewhat expensive just for “somewhere quieter”!

• Like 1

Great report life’s-a-beach! Your attitude can be summed up in your avatar name - love it! Experience definitely grounds ones expectations and minimizes disappointments…

If I remember we share a love of the BVI…

Thanks! 👍

Edited by blue_water
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, lifes-a-beach said:

Hello Blue!  Yes sir, I love Tortola.  Have you been back since Irma?  We have not but I hope to soon.  Hope you’re living your best life in Mexico these days.  I’m 3 or 4 years from retirement and might just join you.  

We’ve not been since Irma, miss Tortola!

We debated for a few years selling in the US and having our base in Mexico to travel from. But the crazy growth caught up to us in our little community north of PDC, and we decided to sell a year ago. So we’re looking forward to returning to Tortola as well as Mexico and other spots…

Enjoy your retirement planing!

On 11/7/2023 at 12:48 AM, smellywax said:

Do you live there? I have been to Cozumel 20 plus times but never an AI so I thought I would try something different and I’m letting people know it isn’t worth bothering with in my opinion. I have done everything from the tourist restaurants to the taxi drivers favorite place to eat. So I am not sure what you are wanting. 

Does anyone have a suggestion for a nice place to have lunch on the beach where you can also swim? we need a place where my friend can join us (just for lunch) and can use her mobility scooter to get in. she does not need to go on the beach. I'm concerned because we are in port on January 10 and there will be a large number of big ships there that day

DW and I were back at Nachi last week and had yet another great time.

One large group with alot of kids was a bit different than usual, but none of the kids were very loud, just the cacophony of so many. (but still didn't ruin the serene vibes)

Food was food as always, hot tub was working better this year and the grounds and facilities were clean as always.

Can't wait to return in February.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, bguppies said:

Oh, and cabs were up to $20 each way from Puerto Maya (and I'd assume International next door) to Paradise, Playa Mia, Sanchos and Nachi now. 

Is that official on the board at port or just requested? I haven’t seen any discussion of official increases.

2 minutes ago, blue_water said:

$20 isn’t bad. Are the taxi fares tiered like in the Riviera Maya? That is, ~$20 for up to 3 ppl, extra /person above 3? Or do sedan taxis squeeze in 4 ppl for the $20? 

Should be 1 to 4, then 5, and 6 to 8.

There has been a tendency to start asking for $20 and then hoping for a tip on top, whereas people used to round to $20 from 16, 17 etc since they would always claim no change anyway. 

I was just wondering if this was an actual union agreed increase.

Edited by c-leg5
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

Should be 1 to 4, then 5, and 6 to 8.

That's what I head read (possibly from you amongst others) so my wife found another couple going on our FB roll call and we split the taxi there with them.

1 hour ago, c-leg5 said:

Is that official on the board at port or just requested? I haven’t seen any discussion of official increases.

Yes, all the the prices had, had a new price, taped over the old price.

The guy guiding people into the cabs apoligized for the price increase and I told him I was surprised it took this long to raise the prices.

Unfortunately they got us into a cab and going before I could snap a pic.

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
19 hours ago, no1superfan said:

01/05/2024 - Got us there and back.

01052024-2 Nachi Cocom.jpg

01052024-1 Nachi Cocom.jpg

Nice picture showing the space on the beach at Nachi versus the packed in loungers at Mr. Sanchos and Paradise beach.

Sanchos

view_of_mr_sanchos_from_the_sky_11-92.jp

Paradise 

paradise%20aerial%20home.jpeg.webp?itok=

Edited by bguppies
  • Like 1

On 1/11/2024 at 9:50 AM, bguppies said:

Nice picture showing the space on the beach at Nachi versus the packed in loungers at Mr. Sanchos and Paradise beach.

Nachi definitely looks nicer as far as space and peacefulness (haven't been to the others, don't think I'll ever try Sancho's)... the subpar food and drink I experienced in October were just a deal breaker for me since I value those more than the actual lying on the beach part. Everyone has their preferences and food is of course subjective. Not everyone cares about all you can eat vs. 4-courses as well. Different strokes...

We're paying extra to create our own peacefulness with a daybed at Paradise Beach in July. Not something we normally do but the main beach area did look awfully crowded when busy. After booking, of course, I noticed we're somehow in Cozumel on a day with only one other ship, so it probably won't be super crowded, but my wife was already sold on the daybed and I'm sure we'll enjoy it. There is also a promo code available via a popular blog site that at least covered some of it.

Edited by OCSC Mike

On 1/11/2024 at 8:50 AM, bguppies said:

LOL, I am not so averse to empty loungers like you show - it is rubbing elbows with my new BFF that I am not keen on. In fairness, Nachi does bring out extra loungers if required.

I am not sure if those are your photos or stock photos that you haven’t credited? I have never been to Sanchos but I didn’t realize they didn’t have umbrellas for their loungers? That would be a no for me.

However I am awaiting further reports of food and drink from Nachi before we would make a decision return. Reports have not been too favorable recently since the price increase. 

• Like 1

It is a shame if the beach at Nachi was not clean- that would be a first for me.  The food has always been a bit lame- but it did the trick when we got hungry.  We were more beer drinkers than mixed drinks, in years past.  A bottle of Sol is pretty standard everywhere.  I have had a pina colada or two there and yeah- kind of typical AI weak drinks- but tasty enough.   Like so many others, Nachi has been in our rotation.  The last time we were there I felt it was getting a bit expensive.  We have done AI at other beaches and also a la carte.  It depends on our mood and when we had our teens with us they liked the floats and stuff in the ocean at other more kid friendly resorts.   Sea weed in the water can always happen in Cozumel, but all the AI's have cleaned the beaches ASAP in my experience.

The thing Nachi did well, and sometimes is worth the extra money and cab time- is limit the number of people per day.  There are times when I really just don't want to be surrounded by a ton of people on the beach again.  When I am in that mood, Nachi is worth it. 

I have to say I would have been thrilled to see the snake, to be honest.  Cozumel doesn't have much dangerous wildlife outside of the ocean.  That includes snakes.  There are coral snakes there, but they are shy and are not going to be out on a beach full of people.  Coral snakes are also pretty easy to spot as a venomous snake if you encounter one.  

Edited by pjhootch

There are plenty of beautiful beaches in Cozumel. We went to some other random place and it was far less crowded than the other beach clubs. We didn't pay much to get in, there were plenty of chairs, I got to snorkel. 

I think you're doing yourself a huge disservice to go to Mexico and eat the AI slop. 

Unfortunately even the beaches like Playa Palancar and Nachi Cocom that were once a longer taxi from the cruise ports and so devoid of day visitors, are no longer too far from the cruise ports…

Not sure how it works at PP today, years (two decades+) ago there was no AI charge, there were just a few lounges, and the food was very good 👍 

6 hours ago, Joebucks said:

There are plenty of beautiful beaches in Cozumel. We went to some other random place and it was far less crowded than the other beach clubs. We didn't pay much to get in, there were plenty of chairs, I got to snorkel. 

I think you're doing yourself a huge disservice to go to Mexico and eat the AI slop. 

It’s pity you didn’t suggest some alternatives for those that want to try somewhere different. 

• 1 month later...

We always made Nachi our go-to in Cozumel and were never disappointed .. until the last time just pre-COVID and we were disappointed. Since then, we have read reviews from others that Nachi is not what it once was. Anyone else that has been there in the past year want to disagree?

We were there in October and it was still good. I agree not like before Covid, but I don’t think anything really is.

There was not a crowd, I did not get a count but there looked to be less than 50-75 people.

Service was slower but still good.

Food was ok, but nearly as good as before.

Drinks were much weaker (I’m not a drinker so for me to notice that is saying something.)

Beach was very clean.

I would still go again, we went to Paradise Beach the time before. They are starting to give Nachi a run for their money in my opinion. Especially if you have kids.