Using OBC to Buy Plus Onboard

buckeye7

Hi Everyone,

I have tried to find this out from Princess, but no luck with contact yet, so I thought I'd see if anyone has info. I know Princess changed their rule and you can now buy the Plus package once onboard. Does this mean I can use any onboard credit I have (including Shareholder) to purchase Plus?

Thank you!

44 minutes ago, buckeye7 said:

Hi Everyone,

I have tried to find this out from Princess, but no luck with contact yet, so I thought I'd see if anyone has info. I know Princess changed their rule and you can now buy the Plus package once onboard. Does this mean I can use any onboard credit I have (including Shareholder) to purchase Plus?

Thank you!

As the others have said, yes absolutely you can. As soon as you board, there will be tables set up right near the boarding areas, usually in the Piazza. Head on over and have one of the employees do the upgrade for you and the new Package should go active right then and there.  Great way to use up some of your OBC and have a drink as soon as you board ;o)

• Like 1

Are you able to purchase the package on your iPhone? Or do you need to physically talk to someone get the package? 

Is the price for plus $60 per person per day without the extra % charge for the vacation protection? For me this seems to be the main advantage of waiting to purchase it onboard and of course being able to pay for the package with OBC.

We are sailing in 2 weeks on a B2B and have pre-purchased Premier for the first 7 days but have nothing for the second cruise. We are planning to use our OBC to get the plus package for this cruise. Or maybe we will upgrade to Premier depending on how we like it on the first leg.

14 minutes ago, KLM3164 said:

Are you able to purchase the package on your iPhone? Or do you need to physically talk to someone get the package? 

Is the price for plus $60 per person per day without the extra % charge for the vacation protection? For me this seems to be the main advantage of waiting to purchase it onboard and of course being able to pay for the package with OBC.

We are sailing in 2 weeks on a B2B and have pre-purchased Premier for the first 7 days but have nothing for the second cruise. We are planning to use our OBC to get the plus package for this cruise. Or maybe we will upgrade to Premier depending on how we like it on the first leg.

You an purchase it from a staff member, who does get a small commission (according to many a poster on here and elsewhere and friends working aboard), or you can purchase through the app (no commission to anyone but Princess)

Same price in advance or onboard. There's no change in your insurance, as the cruise has begun and insurance has kicked in. It's not a fare item aboard as it is in advance. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, reedprincess said:

You an purchase it from a staff member, who does get a small commission (according to many a poster on here and elsewhere and friends working aboard), or you can purchase through the app (no commission to anyone but Princess)

Same price in advance or onboard. There's no change in your insurance, as the cruise has begun and insurance has kicked in. It's not a fare item aboard as it is in advance. 

If a staff member earns a commission I’d be happy to help them out (if the line isn’t too long). I do hope the staff person who sells it to me gets the commission and it’s not going into some large overall pool. 

• Like 1

The Staff member also set up both of our iPhones on WiFi, so very helpful. You also get a $10 refund each. And beware that you might be charged for initial drinks until the system records Plus. Crew Chat or Guest Services will remove these charges on request.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Tedferg said:

The Staff member also set up both of our iPhones on WiFi, so very helpful. You also get a $10 refund each. And beware that you might be charged for initial drinks until the system records Plus. Crew Chat or Guest Services will remove these charges on request.

What's the $10 refund for ?

12 hours ago, reedprincess said:

Medallion shipping, since you obviously didn't have it shipped to your home.. 

Yes, this is straight out of Catch 22 🙂 'You did not have medallion shipped but if you did it would have cost you $10, but since you have the Plus package, it would not have cost you $10. So here is a $10 refund.'

27 minutes ago, Tedferg said:

Yes, this is straight out of Catch 22 🙂 'You did not have medallion shipped but if you did it would have cost you $10, but since you have the Plus package, it would not have cost you $10. So here is a $10 refund.'

The better part of buying aboard is that each person gets a $10 refund, even if ineligible for shipping based on location, and even though if ordering for delivery - it's $10 for order, not per medallion. So, 2 people one order is $10, but the refund is $10 pp, so $20.

Lol.

Those little loopholes are quirky but can add up, a little bit anyways. 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 12:36 PM, KLM3164 said:

If a staff member earns a commission I’d be happy to help them out (if the line isn’t too long). I do hope the staff person who sells it to me gets the commission and it’s not going into some large overall pool. 

I just got off a sailing where I upgraded to Premier from the crew member at the table selling packages.  They do it VERY quickly on a handheld device.  Even if there's a line it'll go quick unless someone's asking for a full dissertation from the crew member, but I doubt there will be.

• Like 1

On 11/7/2023 at 1:39 PM, PMGS247 said:

I just got off a sailing where I upgraded to Premier from the crew member at the table selling packages.  They do it VERY quickly on a handheld device.  Even if there's a line it'll go quick unless someone's asking for a full dissertation from the crew member, but I doubt there will be.

Too funny.  We did exactly this last month on the Discovery, at a table set up in the Piazza as soon as we boarded. The crew member processed our Premier upgrade on the spot with his tablet, then proceeded to give a very long "dissertation" on all details of the package, with which we were already very familiar. Took us forever to get away from the well-meaning gentleman as he wouldn't stop talking ;o)

• Haha 2

On 11/7/2023 at 12:45 PM, reedprincess said:

The better part of buying aboard is that each person gets a $10 refund, even if ineligible for shipping based on location, and even though if ordering for delivery - it's $10 for order, not per medallion. So, 2 people one order is $10, but the refund is $10 pp, so $20.

Lol.

Those little loopholes are quirky but can add up, a little bit anyways. 

The shareholder side of me shouts at Princess to wake-up and stop giving couple back $20.  Also, the "value" of the shipping in the packages had to be less than $10, considering everything is "discounted".

I do understand if two friends or family members were sailing together and lived in different states, they might each order Medallion to be sent to their homes, but I imagine most folks who had to pay would just send to one location and then hand over medallion when they meet up in port city.

3 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Too funny.  We did exactly this last month on the Discovery, at a table set up in the Piazza as soon as we boarded. The crew member processed our Premier upgrade on the spot with his tablet, then proceeded to give a very long "dissertation" on all details of the package, with which we were already very familiar. Took us forever to get away from the well-meaning gentleman as he wouldn't stop talking ;o)

Our guy was very quick too, and he set both iPhones up on WIFI and pointed out to us that we would be charged if we used a la carte at the casual dining restaurants. Quick and informative.