Manly and Bondi beach in Sydney

We’d like to visit one or both of the beaches while staying in Sydney.  I’ve looked at pictures and searched but can’t find the answer I’m looking for.  

Due to multiple skin cancers I must have shade but I still love to sit on the beach and enjoy the sights and sounds of the water.  I have my own travel sun umbrella, 100 spf, that I can screw/ secure into the sand.  Is this allowed at either beach?  Or is there a place to rent one at these beaches?  I see some trees at Manly but they aren’t too close to the beach.  I’m just not seeing umbrella’s in the pictures.

I can't help with Bondi but Manly Beach is a pleasant ferry ride from Circular Quay adjacent to the OPT - Overseas Passenger Terminal. There are lot of cafes, restaurants etc and a couple of pubs (at least one from memory).

2 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

We’d like to visit one or both of the beaches while staying in Sydney.  I’ve looked at pictures and searched but can’t find the answer I’m looking for.  

Due to multiple skin cancers I must have shade but I still love to sit on the beach and enjoy the sights and sounds of the water.  I have my own travel sun umbrella, 100 spf, that I can screw/ secure into the sand.  Is this allowed at either beach?  Or is there a place to rent one at these beaches?  I see some trees at Manly but they aren’t too close to the beach.  I’m just not seeing umbrella’s in the pictures.

There is a bit of a Harbour between Manly and Bondi maybe different day visits . Yes you can bring a umbrella or hire one .😎Screenshot_20231111-064820_Google.thumb.jpg.f0122088943ddde8dd11e760aadc5607.jpg

39 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

couple of pubs (at least one from memory).

Yep 🤣🤣🤣🍺 there is three pubs ,a micro Brewery , the whalf bar and more than ten other bars . Sounds like you have been there if you can't remember.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Hogbay said:

Yep 🤣🤣🤣🍺 there is three pubs ,a micro Brewery , the whalf bar and more than ten other bars . Sounds like you have been there if you can't remember.

A few times on days trips from Lake Mac courtesy of $2.50 off my Opal card. Fish and chips with a beer or three. I usually can't remember which pub I've been to. I alos spend a few dollars at the lollyshop/candy store on the ferry wharf, along with icecreams.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Even with a sun umbrella you can still get sunburnt on the beach from reflected light. If you are going to be on the beach for more than a very short visit, it is advisable to use sunscreen.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

Even with a sun umbrella you can still get sunburnt on the beach from reflected light. If you are going to be on the beach for more than a very short visit, it is advisable to use sunscreen.

Cloudy days can also have high UV.

I've had many skin cancers surgically removed but you'll still find me out on the water most every weekend and days in between. I wear a UPF rashie shirt (wet suit in winter), hat (under my helmet) SPF50 on exposed skin.

We took a trip to Manley prior to embarking a cruise ship. We walked along the pathway to Fairy Bower - no sun protection on the walkway, but plenty of tree shade at Fairy Bower, with a beautiful little beach as well 🙂

• Like 1

you'll be able to find plenty of shade at Manly.  I sat at a table on the waterfront on the Manly Harbour side  and watched all the young boys on small boats watching all the young girls on the beach.  Then I walked down the Causeway to the Ocean front and sat on a chair on the waterfront there before I walked to the Fairy Bower, recommended by Jean C above.  You can put up a beach umbrella on the beach.  Just avoid the middle of the day at the beach in Australia and NZ.  Agree you can get burnt on a cloudy day.  

4 hours ago, lyndarra said:

I can't help with Bondi but Manly Beach is a pleasant ferry ride from Circular Quay adjacent to the OPT - Overseas Passenger Terminal. There are lot of cafes, restaurants etc and a couple of pubs (at least one from memory).

The Steyne Hotel on a Friday night should offer up a good Aussie experience.

Through the day, it is a good typically Aussie pub.

I have never had an issue with beach umbrellas. If you choose Manly, there are some nice swim/surf wear shops, where you could buy a rashie. These are light and have a high SPF. Our sun has a lot of bite, and we are very aware of being sun safe.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, yarramar said:

You may find that this is better and cheaper than renting an umbrella.

https://www.kmart.com.au/product/pop-up-beach-shelter-42781493/

If you go down this path, etiquette is to not put it in front of someone else's view of the water 

And don't put your umbrella too close to your neighbours.  I noticed that people sit closer to their neighbours overseas because of their crowded population.  When we holidayed at Meze in France, the German visitors would arrive early and set up their towels and equipment for the day on the waterfront.  The only way to the water was to walk over someone's beach towel. 

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Getting to Bondi on public transport can be done by bus, or

by train to Bondi Junction and bus, or

by ferry to Watsons Bay and bus. 

There are three scenic bus routes from Watsons Bay to the CBD - via North Bondi and Bondi, and around the Harbour. I enjoy them all.  

• Like 1

I'm very fair-skinned and have had a few skin cancers.  As well as the rashie and the SPF50+ that people on the CC forum suggest I also wear swim shorts.  Not as popular as wearing just rashies but means I have more coverage than if I just had a long-sleeved rashie on.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, FeebeeH said:

I'm very fair-skinned and have had a few skin cancers.  As well as the rashie and the SPF50+ that people on the CC forum suggest I also wear swim shorts.  Not as popular as wearing just rashies but means I have more coverage than if I just had a long-sleeved rashie on.

Me too 👍 I go to all the trouble of buying nice swimsuits, which are so expensive nowadays, just to cover them up at the beach or pool in with a top and shorts 🤷‍♂️ 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I even have a special pair of leggings I wear when snorkeling.  It’s doesn’t protect from jelly fish but keeps me from getting sunburned. 

Thanks so much for all your comments.  I think we’ll bring our own umbrella just be sure I’m protected. It fits into a 25 inch suitcase and weighs about 7 lbs so not bad. It can mean the difference between a day at the beach and not. I’ve had some beaches say no in the Caribbean which is why I asked but have used it on US beaches. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

I even have a special pair of leggings I wear when snorkeling.  It’s doesn’t protect from jelly fish but keeps me from getting sunburned. 

Thanks so much for all your comments.  I think we’ll bring our own umbrella just be sure I’m protected. It fits into a 25 inch suitcase and weighs about 7 lbs so not bad. It can mean the difference between a day at the beach and not. I’ve had some beaches say no in the Caribbean which is why I asked but have used it on US beaches. 

You'll see lots of beach umbrellas on our beaches in summer.  What you won't see are many beach loungers.  Most people lie on their beach towels on the beach,  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

You'll see lots of beach umbrellas on our beaches in summer.  What you won't see are many beach loungers.  Most people lie on their beach towels on the beach,  

You might like to bring a light sand free/resistant beach towel with you.  My girls take them overseas with them  BTW Towels are less expensive to buy in the USA. 

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

You might like to bring a light sand free/resistant beach towel with you.  My girls take them overseas with them  BTW Towels are less expensive to buy in the USA. 

There is no way we have the packing space to take towels around the world. We would just use whatever pool towels the hotel/ship has.

1 hour ago, arxcards said:

There is no way we have the packing space to take towels around the world. We would just use whatever pool towels the hotel/ship has.

Understood. However, we travel with a couple of thin cotton velour pool towels, they cost me $2 each many years ago, with fish scenes on them, probably designed for kids, but they line the bottom of our suitcases, can be used as padding for breakable items, and are a good back-up if needed 😊

• Like 2