Space X launch at same time muster drill is likely tomorrow. Who can I contact to hopefully get the drill time adjusted?

eyern1

A launch is scheduled tomorrow with a window of 4:08pm-5:36pm. I believe the Seaside leaves at 6pm if on schedule. When have the muster drills been occurring on MSC in relation to departure or scheduled departure?  Do you think they would reschedule the drill a little bit to accommodate us being able to watch it. I’m betting MSC isn’t even aware of this event which would probably be a bucket lister for many people or do you think I’m in the minority and that most people don’t give a rip?  Whom should I try to contact once onboard?  I think telling the agents up front probably won’t do much good but I’ll at least start there. I figure there’s little chance of getting to speak with the captain and of course it will be crowded at the purser’s desk on embarkation day but I’ll have to try as I don’t know of any other options. What do y’all think and what would you suggest?

• Haha 5

47 minutes ago, eyern1 said:

Do you think they would reschedule the drill a little bit to accommodate us being able to watch it.

No, they have a lot to do to get the ship ready for sea, and a narrow window to do it all in, but I also don't think it will be a problem.

There is a reasonable amount of latitude exactly when you need to go down, so if you just want to watch the actual launch you are probably fine. 

Odds are you will have completed it before the launch anyway.

Edited by Mark_T
  • Like 1

You can't be serious??? Ships are on a set time and its the busiest day of each voyage. Over 5000 passengers. This is just another launch of many. The importance has waned over the years as it has become a regular occurence 

Edited by lcpagejr
  • Like 4

32 minutes ago, Mark_T said:

No, they have a lot to do to get the ship ready for sea, and a narrow window to do it all in, but I also don't think it will be a problem.

There is a reasonable amount of latitude exactly when you need to go down, so if you just want to watch the actual launch you are probably fine. 

Odds are you will have completed it before the launch anyway.

I understand that but I’ve also seen muster drills occur at different times from before sail away to late that night. Most ships seem to leave home port right around 4 but ours doesn’t until 6pm which probably increases the chances that the muster will be happening at the same time. Also, our first port is their private island which is only about a 250 mile leg to make and we will actually be there for a day and a half so there’s certainly leeway available due to that. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

Why not try to get the launch rescheduled? :classic_rolleyes:

They never seem to go off when scheduled anyway so that’s probably a better option. Where’s Barbara Eden when I need her?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, lcpagejr said:

You can't be serious??? Ships are on a set time and its the busiest day of each voyage. Over 5000 passengers. This is just another launch of many. The importance has waned over the years as it has become a regular occurence 

that's exactly what i thought...

2 hours ago, eyern1 said:

I understand that but I’ve also seen muster drills occur at different times from before sail away to late that night. Most ships seem to leave home port right around 4 but ours doesn’t until 6pm which probably increases the chances that the muster will be happening at the same time. Also, our first port is their private island which is only about a 250 mile leg to make and we will actually be there for a day and a half so there’s certainly leeway available due to that. 

You seem to forget that theree are other ships that are involved in this process as well.  The departures of cruise ships as well as cargo ships from a major port is a carefully orchestrated process and a delay by one or more ships is not as inconsequential as you may believe. 

Once you have watched the video in your room and dialed the number, you are free to go watch anything.  The worst thing that could happen is if you have to be in your room when the actual launch occurs and your room does not face toward the launch area. 

30 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

You seem to forget that theree are other ships that are involved in this process as well.  The departures of cruise ships as well as cargo ships from a major port is a carefully orchestrated process and a delay by one or more ships is not as inconsequential as you may believe. 

Once you have watched the video in your room and dialed the number, you are free to go watch anything.  The worst thing that could happen is if you have to be in your room when the actual launch occurs and your room does not face toward the launch area. 

I wasn’t figuring the ship would alter it’s time of departure but did think they could alter the muster time without any great difficulty. I may be mistaken but I thought I watched a video where we all had to assemble after the phone call on MSC. 

Just now, eyern1 said:

I wasn’t figuring the ship would alter it’s time of departure but did think they could alter the muster time without any great difficulty. I may be mistaken but I thought I watched a video where we all had to assemble after the phone call on MSC. 

I took your comment regarding only 250 miles to travel as meaning to delay departure from port. 

You are not mistaken, everyone does have to proceed to their assembly station.  However, you can go outside and wait for your deck to be called to proceed to your assembly station. It's a matter of going there, having your pass scanned and then you are free to do as you please.  I would not be in any rush to fight the crowds going back up the stairs. 

As others have said, the time of the muster drill is arranged based on a large number of activities that have to take place to get the ship ready to go to sea.  While it may seem like a trivial thing to change, I can assure you it is not. 

37 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

I took your comment regarding only 250 miles to travel as meaning to delay departure from port. 

You are not mistaken, everyone does have to proceed to their assembly station.  However, you can go outside and wait for your deck to be called to proceed to your assembly station. It's a matter of going there, having your pass scanned and then you are free to do as you please.  I would not be in any rush to fight the crowds going back up the stairs. 

As others have said, the time of the muster drill is arranged based on a large number of activities that have to take place to get the ship ready to go to sea.  While it may seem like a trivial thing to change, I can assure you it is not. 

I forgot I said that. You’re right. I did insinuate a late shove off or at least a slow roll out but if we do truly leave at 6, the launch window will have already closed. 

MSC is a real stickler for rules.  They won't be changing anything on their schedule unless there is a valid reason to do so.  This certainly does not fall in that category.  When the ship decides it is time for muster drill you will need to go to your cabin and watch the video at that time.  Then you call a phone number to verify the completion of the video.  Then they call deck by deck to go to their muster station. Staff scans your card at the entrance of your station, and you walk through and are free to go.  There is some leeway as to when you go to your station.  They want people to go at the assigned times, but not everyone does.  So you will hear repeated announcements, and ships services will remain closed until a certain percent of passengers have complied.

7 hours ago, gizfish said:

MSC is a real stickler for rules.  They won't be changing anything on their schedule unless there is a valid reason to do so.  This certainly does not fall in that category.  When the ship decides it is time for muster drill you will need to go to your cabin and watch the video at that time.  Then you call a phone number to verify the completion of the video.  Then they call deck by deck to go to their muster station. Staff scans your card at the entrance of your station, and you walk through and are free to go.  There is some leeway as to when you go to your station.  They want people to go at the assigned times, but not everyone does.  So you will hear repeated announcements, and ships services will remain closed until a certain percent of passengers have complied.

Is the video on loop repeat?  By them calling to go to muster station deck by deck, do you mean an overhead announcement and therefore as soon as we have watched the video we can make our phone call and immediately go on deck to await our call to report with our card?  How long is the video? About 5 minutes or less?

32 minutes ago, eyern1 said:

Is the video on loop repeat?  By them calling to go to muster station deck by deck, do you mean an overhead announcement and therefore as soon as we have watched the video we can make our phone call and immediately go on deck to await our call to report with our card?  How long is the video? About 5 minutes or less?

On Seaside the video was on a loop.  But only the loop at 4pm ended with the number to dial to get credit for watching it.  I watched so many times, then asked someone for the code.  I went back to my cabin and dialed it, and the recording said I was credited, but I still got a naughty letter the next day saying I hadn’t completed that requirement.  I tried to check into the muster station early but there was no one there.  EM

17 hours ago, eyern1 said:

A launch is scheduled tomorrow with a window of 4:08pm-5:36pm. I believe the Seaside leaves at 6pm if on schedule. When have the muster drills been occurring on MSC in relation to departure or scheduled departure?  Do you think they would reschedule the drill a little bit to accommodate us being able to watch it. I’m betting MSC isn’t even aware of this event which would probably be a bucket lister for many people or do you think I’m in the minority and that most people don’t give a rip?  Whom should I try to contact once onboard?  I think telling the agents up front probably won’t do much good but I’ll at least start there. I figure there’s little chance of getting to speak with the captain and of course it will be crowded at the purser’s desk on embarkation day but I’ll have to try as I don’t know of any other options. What do y’all think and what would you suggest?

There are times when I read a post and I am not sure if it is a serious question or if the poster is being provocative, or is travel naive or entitled.

This is one of them, especially in light of some of the previous posts by this member....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Just off Seaside this morning. We left PC on 11/9 at 6 pm. Muster drill was promptly at 4pm. Watch video then dial the number - video only lasts a couple minutes. Then you wait for them to call your deck to go to your muster station. Seems to be half the ship first, then the second half of the ship about 10 minutes later. Total took about 30 minutes and we were called with the second half and had to walk down 10 flights of stairs. 

Side note - our hotel in Canaveral pre-cruise had a sign announcing a launch on 11/9 at 8:28 pm. We never would have known about it otherwise.  We watched from aft deck 16 with probably 100 other people. It was really cool to see a night launch from sea. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

On Seaside the video was on a loop.  But only the loop at 4pm ended with the number to dial to get credit for watching it.  I watched so many times, then asked someone for the code.  I went back to my cabin and dialed it, and the recording said I was credited, but I still got a naughty letter the next day saying I hadn’t completed that requirement.  I tried to check into the muster station early but there was no one there.  EM

Yep. I just watched the loop and wondered about that. The paper they handed us says muster about 4pm. Sure hope it’s a little earlier especially since our balcony is on the opposite side of the launch pad 

4 hours ago, Stocksy82 said:

In answer to another part of your original question you are likely to be in the minority, others may well think "oh that's cool" but certainly wouldn't be thinking this far ahead or even know a launch is happening.

True. I highly doubt that anyone has ever tried to schedule a cruise that’s in port at the exact time a rocket launch is scheduled and most have never even thought about it. Apparently this one wasn’t even announced until Friday, which was when I received an email from Cape Canaveral about it and I had looked for a possible launch just a few days prior to no avail. I’m willing to bet that if it does happen while we’re here though that essentially everyone who didn’t actually see it will be saying they sure wish they had. 

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

There are times when I read a post and I am not sure if it is a serious question or if the poster is being provocative, or is travel naive or entitled.

This is one of them, especially in light of some of the previous posts by this member....

I assure you the post is serious due to the fact of having muster drills occur at various times on my cruises and even having one delayed for several hours so there is no hard and fast rule on exactly when it should occur. As well, it’s a very simple procedure on many ships now whereas it’s a drawn out pain in the butt on others. This is something in this instance that if possibly adjusted 15-30 minutes, it would potentially make a lot of people’s day and probably get some good pr out of it. I guarantee you would never forget the cruise where you saw the rocket launch when someone mentioned it. And no, I don’t feel entitled thank you!

• Haha 1