Rhapsody and Panama unrest

coaster

24 minutes ago, coaster said:

Seeing lots of news stories about roadblocks protesters are setting up over a mine. There have been a few deaths so far. Wonder if Rhapsody Colon departures will be affected. 

https://www.counterpunch.org/2023/11/13/panama-explodes-with-protests-against-canadian-copper-mine/

Thanks for sharing.  Haven't heard anything about this.

38 minutes ago, Teeara said:

Thanks for sharing.  Haven't heard anything about this.

Family member from Panama tipped me off over the weekend. He travels to South America often and is very travel savvy. Everything he relayed to me was backed up by news articles I have read. Basically told us don't get off the ship on our Celebrity Constellation cruise next month to Colon.

Colon has, for years, been a place in which one does not get off the ship.  (A long time ago, we neglected to read our daily planner before walking ashore.  We found out why there was an advisory to that effect.)

I guess this is the flip side of passenger demand for cruises to the ABC islands.  Partial or full transits of the Canal are fascinating, but Colon as a departure/disembarkation port would not appeal to me at all.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, smokeybandit said:

I'm still surprised they even kept that homeport after ditching the Panama Canal transits.

Agree. Bizarre to sail from Panama to the ABC islands. Airfare from the States to Panama is not worth it for this common itinerary from FL. No advantage unless you live in Panama and want to go on a cruise. Very limited market for these sailings.

Edited by coaster
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, coaster said:

Agree. Bizarre to sail from Panama to the ABC islands. Airfare from the States to Panama is not worth it for this common itinerary from FL. No advantage unless you live in Panama and want to go on a cruise. Very limited market for these sailings.

this is why it was so frustrating for people who booked the canal cruises. we were told our experience was going to be "enhanced" by the changes. we were able to change our cruise, but unfortunately, we may be out our non-refundable air fare. doesn't make sense to book  a refundable fare that's twice the cost of a regular fare. and copa airline only flies to panama, so it's not even like we can just change our flight... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, cruisetorelax44 said:

this is why it was so frustrating for people who booked the canal cruises. we were told our experience was going to be "enhanced" by the changes. we were able to change our cruise, but unfortunately, we may be out our non-refundable air fare. doesn't make sense to book  a refundable fare that's twice the cost of a regular fare. and copa airline only flies to panama, so it's not even like we can just change our flight... 

If I had non refundable air fare I think I might have kept the cruise and just gone. Agree it was a bad deal either way.

Just now, coaster said:

Carnival just announced cancellation of Colon stop.

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-conquest-skips-cruise-port-due-to-local-protes

I was about to say conquest just skipped this stop. I'm still scheduled to stop there. Carnival announced one ship skipped the port. Not fleet wide. They are playing it right up to when you stop there. We were sold out since april. Carnival less than a week before final sent out emails a passport required .. before they had been saying the opposite. Lots of cancellations and many sending for passports, which luckily have been coming in fast. If rcl did this people would have been screaming. Very last minute. 

On 11/13/2023 at 1:45 PM, smokeybandit said:

I'm still surprised they even kept that homeport after ditching the Panama Canal transits.

It's a bu$ine$$ decision.  If RCCL cancelled the cruises altogether and moved the ship to another homeport, they'd have a limited window to book the ship... and typically prices drop as dates draw in.  Most people will stick with the cruise since they've requested time off, corradiated vacations, booked flights & hotels, etc. Plenty of other expenses RCCL would be on the hook for it they cancelled: partial airfare reimbursement for everyone, millions of dollars for service and procurement contracts, etc.  

3 hours ago, Itried4498 said:

It's a bu$ine$$ decision.  If RCCL cancelled the cruises altogether and moved the ship to another homeport, they'd have a limited window to book the ship... and typically prices drop as dates draw in.  Most people will stick with the cruise since they've requested time off, corradiated vacations, booked flights & hotels, etc. Plenty of other expenses RCCL would be on the hook for it they cancelled: partial airfare reimbursement for everyone, millions of dollars for service and procurement contracts, etc.  

Agree about the $ business factor especially after some of her Israel sailings were cancelled. Rhapsody just seems to be at the wrong places lately.  Glad if she comes back to Tampa though. Miss the old girl here. Not old, but older and seasoned. I respect older ships and glad they are still around. Some of us could careless about Icon.

Edited by coaster

We are to stop in Colon on Jan 28th and have the Tortuguero Canals booked through the cruiseline. Now I am considering cancelling the excursion after hearing this or am I jumping the gun? I'm hoping that if there is still a problem there that they will do another port, we are already not getting off in Columbia, so that would make 2 ports.

On 11/15/2023 at 2:47 PM, coaster said:

Carnival just announced cancellation of Colon stop.

https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-conquest-skips-cruise-port-due-to-local-protests/

My MIL is on that sailing.  Overall, it’s been a drama filled cruise- people upset over the extra sea day, at least 2 different medical emergencies requiring the boat to rush to the next island, rough seas, etc.  

On 11/18/2023 at 5:17 AM, vacationlover_mn said:

My MIL is on that sailing.  Overall, it’s been a drama filled cruise- people upset over the extra sea day, at least 2 different medical emergencies requiring the boat to rush to the next island, rough seas, etc.  

And drama over carnival waiting so long to decide passports were required to go to Panama. I was only a few days from final and a lot cancelled last minute when carnival decided. I'm still booked for dream to Panama Jan  13. Fingers crossed. I can sort of see why conquest pax are upset.  These are more expensive cruises because of these specific ports. You dont book a Panama cruise and miss Panama and happy. I hope its calmer in January.