Drivers License listed on Excursions "What to bring"

coisfarraige

One of the excursions we are looking at for our March Vietnam/Thailand cruise is a Junk cruise and Kayak trip. On the "What to bring section" it lists a Drivers license, any idea why this would be required? My partner does not drive, is official photo identification what they mean?

drivers license.JPG

8 minutes ago, coisfarraige said:

One of the excursions we are looking at for our March Vietnam/Thailand cruise is a Junk cruise and Kayak trip. On the "What to bring section" it lists a Drivers license, any idea why this would be required? My partner does not drive, is official photo identification what they mean?

drivers license.JPG

Usually it says a government ID but most ports we've been to it wasn't needed.  We do bring the ID with us anyway just in case.

29 minutes ago, coisfarraige said:

Thanks, I was hoping they meant official Government ID. Although will we have our passports or will they have collected them on the ship?

On our cruise thru Thailand and Vietnam, the ship held our passports.  They did return ours on request when we did an overnight off the ship in Bangkok. Something to consider though when doing excursions on/in water: your DL is waterproof. Your passport is not, and getting it soaked would likely render it invalid.

The only time I've used my DL was as a photo id to get back into the port.    Another time we were taking a Self Drive off road Jeep Excursion and the Driver of course had to show their driver's license when they were handing out the Jeeps.

Seems like on most tours the bus driver either gets arrested, or walks off the job half way through the tour; necessitating one of the tourists from the ship having to take over operation of the coach.  You wouldn’t want to be stranded in some foreign land just because you couldn’t step in to the breach.  😂

Harris

Denver, CO

• Haha 8

1 hour ago, omeinv said:

Seems like on most tours the bus driver either gets arrested, or walks off the job half way through the tour; necessitating one of the tourists from the ship having to take over operation of the coach.  You wouldn’t want to be stranded in some foreign land just because you couldn’t step in to the breach.  😂

Harris

Denver, CO

Happens a lot on planes, too.

A couple of times we have had to show a photo ID to get back into the port through security along with our sail pass. We always carry our drivers license as a form of ID. If a medical emergency or an accident were to happen to you while on a tour an ID would be helpful to others rendering aid.

32 minutes ago, mahasamatman said:

I do carry my pilot certificate just in case...

I’m a scuba diver, so I’d I’m going to take over on a cruise ship stuff has already gotten pretty real.  😁

Harris

Denver, CO