Couple of Breakaway Questions

eltigre

Does the Breakaway serve Lobster Rolls? I heard rumours that on sea days there was a place to get them.

We leave the New Orleans port in Feb., is the embarkation here usually smooth? What is a good time to show up?

The weather could be cool or raining and although I was hoping to book 2 specialty restaurants once on board I don't want to spend ages waiting in line ups outside just to get a dining time before 9pm.

Regarding the theater shows, I hear Six is ending January. Does anyone know what is taking it's place? I would like to see a show however I understand they don't have one every night. How do I know dates & times to book diners so I can also reserve a show?

Finally, when I do get onboard where should I go to reserve the dining & the show?

Thank you

You can get lobster rolls at the Ocean Blue take out. 

We normally show up around 9:30 for early boarding. 

Reservations for dining at Teppanyaki or Headliners Deck 6 mid-ship. 

Shows may be booked online 22 days to cruise. Note that NCL has been slowly doing away with show reservations. You can also try the Box office, Deck 7 forward, starboard Theater entrance. Touch screen kiosks at public elevator lobbies also works. 

Take a peek at my live review of the Breakaway last fall

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes!  Lobster Rolls at the Ocean Blue walk-up window.  Much better (in our opinion) than the lobster/shrimp rolls at American Diner.    Only open on 'at sea' days during lunch time, so check your Dailies.  

The first time we tried them was after noticing several officers lined up at that window on the Waterfront 😎 

• Like 3

When are you sailing in February?  The cruise leaving on the 11th of February could be a total nightmare to embark or dis embark.  The weekend of the 10th and 11th is the last weekend of Mardi Gras-- crowds and parades everywhere.  Traffic in and out of the downtown area or even the freeways could be a nightmare.

2 hours ago, eltigre said:

Thank you for the heads up. We arrive on the 22nd & sail on the 25th.  

Have a great time.  New Orleans is a wonderful adventure by herself.  

I love going to the Aquarium.

Be sure that you are outside as you sail.  The Breakaway will make a "U" turn in the Mississippi River as you leave the pier, sail past downtown New Orleans before turning South down the River to the Gulf.  The trip down the River to the Mouth of the Gulf of Mexico takes about 8 hours or so.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/14/2023 at 3:21 PM, eltigre said:

We leave the New Orleans port in Feb., is the embarkation here usually smooth? What is a good time to show up?

The embarkation process at NOLA can be a nightmare.

In 2022, we arrived at the port at about 945.  We spent the next hour plus standing in a very long line to clear security.  The waiting area at NOLA is quite small and when that area is full, they stop the security line  until boarding starts.  Seating is very limited.  We boarded about 1100.

In 2023, we wanted to avoid the long security line so we arrived at about 1045.  Very smooth.  No long lines.  we boarded about 1115.

It  you can get  your dining reservations done pre-boarding, there really isn't a need to rush to the port.

We prefer to stay at the hotel until the lines have cleared.  Staying at the hotel is much more comfortable than spending and hour plus standing in the security line.

We encountered a, so we've been told, unique experience in debarkation.  You'll notice that there are train tracks just outside the terminal and between the terminal and the parking areas.  We were in a cab riding back to the hotel.  As we exited the terminal, a very long slow frieght train blocked all traffic for about 30 minutes.  I've not heard of anyone else experiencing this train.

• Like 1

RocketMan275, I wish I had been on the ball for the reservations for the dining. As it is, the best I could get was 8:30 which I booked. For hubbies particular health circumstances earlier is better. This is what prompted the question. Waiting in long lines to secure a dining time seems so "Unvacation" 🙂 new word! Thank you for the info. I agree everything seems to go much smoother once all that dust has settled.

20 minutes ago, eltigre said:

RocketMan275, I wish I had been on the ball for the reservations for the dining. As it is, the best I could get was 8:30 which I booked. For hubbies particular health circumstances earlier is better. This is what prompted the question. Waiting in long lines to secure a dining time seems so "Unvacation" 🙂 new word! Thank you for the info. I agree everything seems to go much smoother once all that dust has settled.

As a solo Senior Citizen type passenger, I rarely make dinner reservations.  I arrive at the Restaurant Hostess Desk shortly before the scheduled open time (5:00 or 5:30 P.M) and rarely have to wait more than a few minutes to be seated.

When booked your cruise, did you tell them about your husband's health issues?  If you have not contacted the Access Desk, you should.  Information about that is on the website-- Accessibility Cruising. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

The embarkation process at NOLA can be a nightmare.

In 2022, we arrived at the port at about 945.  We spent the next hour plus standing in a very long line to clear security.  The waiting area at NOLA is quite small and when that area is full, they stop the security line  until boarding starts.  Seating is very limited.  We boarded about 1100.

In 2023, we wanted to avoid the long security line so we arrived at about 1045.  Very smooth.  No long lines.  we boarded about 1115.

It  you can get  your dining reservations done pre-boarding, there really isn't a need to rush to the port.

We prefer to stay at the hotel until the lines have cleared.  Staying at the hotel is much more comfortable than spending and hour plus standing in the security line.

We encountered a, so we've been told, unique experience in debarkation.  You'll notice that there are train tracks just outside the terminal and between the terminal and the parking areas.  We were in a cab riding back to the hotel.  As we exited the terminal, a very long slow frieght train blocked all traffic for about 30 minutes.  I've not heard of anyone else experiencing this train.

We experienced the train on disembarkation day.  Our Uber kept cancelling because he could not get over the train tracks.  The taxis came in another way so we had to go down to that exit and take a taxi to our hotel.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

We have sailed out of Nola twice, and will be sailing again in February (11th). We have had absolutely no issues with the embarkation there and found it super smooth. We actually park at Fulton Garage and walk over to the port without any issues.

• Like 2

We have sailed out of New Orleans 5-6 times. Going down the River would be one of the highlights of the trip for us. We always check our luggage with the porters and then return to the French Quarter. Much better lunch there than on the ship. When you board late there will be no line, as in we are the only ones there. Cabins are ready. Stress free. 
I will never desperately attempt to find a seat in the buffet when I can have a meal at one of the best restaurants in the world very close by on embarkation day. To each their own though. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mexicobob said:

We have sailed out of New Orleans 5-6 times. Going down the River would be one of the highlights of the trip for us. We always check our luggage with the porters and then return to the French Quarter. Much better lunch there than on the ship. When you board late there will be no line, as in we are the only ones there. Cabins are ready. Stress free. 
I will never desperately attempt to find a seat in the buffet when I can have a meal at one of the best restaurants in the world very close by on embarkation day. To each their own though. 

That's a great idea. Tell me have you prebooked reservations for the specialty restaurants? That is the only reason I am concerned about getting on board. I missed the opening of the bookings. 

21 hours ago, eltigre said:

That's a great idea. Tell me have you prebooked reservations for the specialty restaurants? That is the only reason I am concerned about getting on board. I missed the opening of the bookings. 

Yes, I prebooked all of our specialty restaurant reservations at 125 days out. We have a Club Balcony which let me book 5 days before every one else. Were given 2 each and I bought an additional 2 each. First time on Norwegian so not sure if it was worth it. Also can not tell you if worth it to board early to get reservation.