Magnetic hooks for the cabin

zitsky

Several people have suggested magnetic hooks for bathroom / cabin.

I'm in Aqua on Eclipse (old design) and Sky Suite on Millennium (new design).

These hooks are quite strong.  Do I need to worry about them being next to my electronics?

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

These hooks are quite strong.  Do I need to worry about them being next to my electronics?

Thanks.

Never effected my electronics. We use them on almost every cruise.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, zitsky said:

We sailed in a Sky Suite on Deck 6 on Millennium and the walls were not magnetic.  The door to the cabin and the bathroom door,  as well as the ceiling were all magnetic.  

I would keep them away from any credit card or room keys,  but unless your electronics use a spinning disk instead of solid state media, you should be fine. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We sailed in a Sky Suite on Deck 6 on Millennium and the walls were not magnetic.  The door to the cabin and the bathroom door,  as well as the ceiling were all magnetic.  

I would keep them away from any credit card or room keys,  but unless your electronics use a spinning disk instead of solid state media, you should be fine. 

I just got off Mille last week and I was in a Sky Suite on deck 6 and the wall opposite of the desk was magnetic.  I brought magnet hooks and tested multiple surfaces because this question keeps getting asked.

4 minutes ago, DaKahuna said:

We were in a Sky Suite - same cruise. The magnets worked on the wall across from the couch - the wall that had nothing on it. I guess different cabins have different types of walls.  Or maybe it was the Rum😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, micruiser2002 said:

I just got off Mille last week and I was in a Sky Suite on deck 6 and the wall opposite of the desk was magnetic.  I brought magnet hooks and tested multiple surfaces because this question keeps getting asked.

2 minutes ago, JLMcruise said:

We were in a Sky Suite - same cruise. The magnets worked on the wall across from the couch - the wall that had nothing on it. I guess different cabins have different types of walls.  Or maybe it was the Rum😂

The only thing we ever use the hooks for are things we want to grab when leaving the cabin so never tried the wall opposite of the wall where the desk was.  Guess I should have been specific that the wall at the entrance to the suite was not magnet, except for the metal holder on the wall for papers/magazines.  

One thing I learned many years ago, was that some mag hooks aren’t strong enough to hold things.  Guess there might be stronger hooks now.  I use the non-mag ones with the sticky stuff you can put on the back.  Pulls right off when packing.

24 minutes ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

It was a wonderful discovery to learn that the ceiling is magnetic. I used a hook to hang my portable, usb rechargeable fan over my bed when we slept. Pure bliss. 

Oh my goodness!!  I never even thought to do that! 

Well, next April on the Apex, I will be thanking you for making my cruise even more wonderful!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

Thanks.

We were just in a Sky Suite on Millie and the walls were not magnetic like the other cabins. I saw someone say something about magnetic wall by the TV but I never tried there. We were in 6099 but I imaging they are all the same.

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

Thanks.

Those magnets are usually not a problem for electronics.  Just make sure you transport your magnets so that two of them cannot connect squarely face to face.  Depending on their combined strength, they can be difficult to separate!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Those magnets are usually not a problem for electronics.  Just make sure you transport your magnets so that two of them cannot connect squarely face to face.  Depending on their combined strength, they can be difficult to separate!

Yep. It is incredibly easy to pinch a part of your finger when they suddenly come together! Very painful...

• Like 1

no walls are magnetic .. magnets are. The metal in the wall attracts them. All S and M class have a wall that attracts magnets which  is the one that the desk is on.. the very long wall. We use that for all our papers which keeps the desk tidy. On S class the wall behind the couch and the window wall work as well. We use hooks there for our hats and anything else we like to have handy. A hook on the wall will slide down with weight on it but the same hook on the ceiling holds a hanger with a garment which is perfect for drying anything we have washed. We actually hung our back packs form the ceiling in the back corner

7 hours ago, alfiemom said:

One thing I learned many years ago, was that some mag hooks aren’t strong enough to hold things.  Guess there might be stronger hooks now.  I use the non-mag ones with the sticky stuff you can put on the back.  Pulls right off when packing.

On Amazon magnetic hooks usually list a pound strength -- but it is sometimes not accurate.  By reading the reviews you will often find which have been effective for cruisers.  

Edited by kabmab
Grammar correction

7 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

We were just in a Sky Suite on Millie and the walls were not magnetic like the other cabins. I saw someone say something about magnetic wall by the TV but I never tried there. We were in 6099 but I imaging they are all the same.

Hi there neverllaysup - question - off topic but couldn't PM you - you were in 6405 on the Silhouette last year I believe - what did you think of the cabin?  Do you have any pics???

10 hours ago, alfiemom said:

Can you point me to one on Amazon?  Or a brand name?  Thanks.

And what’s the heaviest thing you’ve used with those non magnetic hooks?

I don’t need hooks for the ceiling.  I was bitten by a radioactive spider.

Edited by zitsky

10 hours ago, neverlaysup said:

Is this a victim of Kelly’s meddling?  I’ve warned my husband about the reduced storage in our SS.  But of course he probably wasn’t paying attention.