Wednesday November 15th, 2023 -- The Fleet Report and Daily

richwmn

6 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

That's me!  I'm an old DOS-head.  I believe that I was the last one in the USA to cave in to Windoze.  I hung onto DOS until 1996 -- only getting Win95 when it became apparent that the application devs were no longer supporting DOS.

Soory, Susan, but DH's older brother always used DOS,  even as recently as a year or two ago.  I doubt he's changed now.

Lenda

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

Lenda, I recently posted on another thread that I still have my first computer, a 1979 Radio Shack Model I.  I keep it because I figure that it'll be valuable one day.  Or maybe not.

When we moved from Pennsylvania back to Texas, DH gave the nurse at the DDs school the RadioShack computer.  He gave the Osborne 1 to the young boy next door.  We've gone through so many computers, I don't remember how many and what they were.

Lenda

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Quartzsite Cruiser said:

We've gone through so many computers, I don't remember how many and what they were.

Lenda

The only other desktop that I EVER bought was a Radio Shack Model III in 1983.  Then came "open architecture" so I've built all of mine from scratch ever since -- and also build for friends.  I still build a new one about every 2-3 years.  From the start they've all been named "Rod" (never mind why) and my current one is Rod XIX.

• Like 6

17 minutes ago, AV8rix said:

The only other desktop that I EVER bought was a Radio Shack Model III in 1983.  Then came "open architecture" so I've built all of mine from scratch ever since -- and also build for friends.  I still build a new one about every 2-3 years.  From the start they've all been named "Rod" (never mind why) and my current one is Rod XIX.

Heard of HAL 5000 ?

• Like 4

Late to the party, but giggling over the computers.  My first one took up the whole basement of the computer science building at the University and I had to keypunch my programs on decks of cards.  LOL,  not very portable! 

@smitty34877 such a great picture, so nice to have those great memories! 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, StLouisCruisers said:

My first stop in Isafjordur was in 2015 on the Caribbean Princess on a London to Norway to Iceland to New York Transatlantic cruise.  During that port stop I took a tour that went out into the countryside so I may be able to show some photos from those two villages as well.  Our second visit to Isafjordur was in June 2022 before Covid hit us on Island Princess. Our third visit was this year, 2023.  Here's a cute photo I took June 6, 2022 of two little girls holding their pet chickens, sitting on the sod roof of their garage.

00-krGnVk_TmW1vjXOSXmrbNCgtIzRKIF36hrdhG

Isafjordur, Iceland (pop. 2748) was an interesting port of call, just like the rest of Iceland.  The word means ice fjord according to my research.  The following photos were taken in 2015. Being small it's an extremely walkable town.  DH and I took the walk around before I headed out on my tour.  A good place to stop on this morning was at the bakery to pick up a baked good to enjoy.

A little marketing tool for the bakery was this classic vehicle parked outside the door with some advertising on the side.

It would probably be hard to get lost here, unless you can't speak Icelandic (which I can't).  Thank goodness for "subtitles".

A church and graveyard.

A statue commemorating fishing.

A building called the Culture House.

We went inside and it was 3 stories tall and had a library and museum.  I took a photo of this description of the building history and usage.

What appears to be local housing as we left the Culture House.

We saw a little park entrance nearby so went to take a look.  Using whalebones as arched entrances is pretty common in these parts, though many of us can recall the whalebone archway in Stanley at the church along the shore as well.

The sign says this is a Catholic church, and if so, it's one of the smallest ones I've ever seen.

Another bigger church.  With not a lot of activities for residents here maybe churches fill a void in the community for fellowship with others.

I'm glad to see the Fire Department is well represented here.

That's all for the town of Isafjordur.  Next up are some photos from my afternoon tour of the Botanical Garden in Skrudur and a fishing village called Flateyri.  We took a bus to the Garden and along the way saw the typical topography and scenery of this part of Iceland.

We had to pass through a tunnel in the mountain in order to get to where we were going (and back to the ship later).  The Botanical Garden was founded by a pastor at a boarding school nearby.  It's sometimes called the Botanical Garden in the Middle of Nowhere. It is the northernmost Botanical Garden in the World, beating out Akureyri, Iceland's garden.

I'd say this is the vegetable garden section, wouldn't you?

A water feature.

The garden displays were simple but it was nice to get out into the countryside to see flora and fauna.  Being mid September most of the flowers were gone unfortunately.

Another whalebone arch.

Maybe the gardening tools are kept here.

I think I'll start a new post for the fishing village.

Nice photos Sandi.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Cruzin Terri said:

We’re leaving @ 9 am tomorrow and driving to Titusville, Florida.  Stay overnight and then Miami for two nights.

Safe travels, Terri.

9 hours ago, 1ANGELCAT said:

Good evening. It’s been a busy day. I’m so over the 2 drama threads that are going on today, just because people don’t read the rules before booking.

+3  

• Like 7

Since we are relating computer history -

After college classes on mainframes

1 - I built an Altair 8800A - the second of the home computer kits, the 8800 was first

2 - I was certified to repair Apple ][

3 - I was certified to repair the Osborne I

4 - I was certified to repair the original Macintosh

I went from no O/S (Altair) to CP/M to DOS 1.1, DOS 2.0, DOS 3.3 and all versions of Windows

I am currently using Linux and have since the pre 1.0 days

• Like 10

7 hours ago, AV8rix said:

I seem to remember DH building one computer.  Over the years, he's also added memory to many computers and done other modifications.  We still have several old computers around, including a vintage HP and a TI-99/4A which hooked up to the tv for the DDs to play games.

image.png.225581af76bb94f31addfe10d9530518.png

6 hours ago, bennybear said:

Late to the party, but giggling over the computers.  My first one took up the whole basement of the computer science building at the University and I had to keypunch my programs on decks of cards.  LOL,  not very portable! 

@smitty34877 such a great picture, so nice to have those great memories! 

In 1968, I wrote an article on the UT computation center, which was a huge underground facility.  There was another article for The Daily Texan about an Engineering Department analog computer.  When DH first wrote his computer program it used punch cards, and he'd have have to wait for a run to see what errors needed fixing, more punch cards, another run, etc. A long drawn out process.

Lenda

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, richwmn said:

Since we are relating computer history -

After college classes on mainframes

1 - I built an Altair 8800A - the second of the home computer kits, the 8800 was first

2 - I was certified to repair Apple ][

3 - I was certified to repair the Osborne I

4 - I was certified to repair the original Macintosh

I went from no O/S (Altair) to CP/M to DOS 1.1, DOS 2.0, DOS 3.3 and all versions of Windows

I am currently using Linux and have since the pre 1.0 days

I'm glad I'm not the only one that knows about the Osborne 1.

Lenda

• Like 5