Royal Up - Question About Bookings with Two Cabins

nogard13

Hey everyone,

I just got an email from RC about their Royal Up program.  We booked two cabins, side by side, so my wife and I can share one and the kids can share another.  But, since they are under 10, we booked 1 adult and 1 child in each.

The Royal Up has a minimum bid of $175 per person for a 2 Bedroom Grand Suite.  If I bid the minimum and get it, can I move the rest of my party (the other cabin) into my reservation?  Or would they have to keep the other cabin booked even if they sleep in the same suite?

Thanks!

13 minutes ago, nogard13 said:

Hey everyone,

I just got an email from RC about their Royal Up program.  We booked two cabins, side by side, so my wife and I can share one and the kids can share another.  But, since they are under 10, we booked 1 adult and 1 child in each.

The Royal Up has a minimum bid of $175 per person for a 2 Bedroom Grand Suite.  If I bid the minimum and get it, can I move the rest of my party (the other cabin) into my reservation?  Or would they have to keep the other cabin booked even if they sleep in the same suite?

Thanks!

They can sleep wherever but you dont get a refund on their cabin if that cabin doesnt also win a royal up. Royal up is for people who dont care about location. 

Edited by firefly333

You cannot combine two cabins into one when you win a RoyalUp bid. You will still have one of the original cabins, and have to pay for it. 

Also, only the two people booked in the upgraded cabin can use the suite benefits such as the suite lounge.

41 minutes ago, SG65CB said:

You cannot combine two cabins into one when you win a RoyalUp bid. You will still have one of the original cabins, and have to pay for it. 

Also, only the two people booked in the upgraded cabin can use the suite benefits such as the suite lounge.

Thanks to everyone for their responses.

I figured as much.  I'm not so much worried about the suite perks as about us being able to hang out as a family.  Having cabins next to each other allows us to open the balcony partition and move between cabins as we hang out with each other, but also allows privacy.  A 2BR Grand Suite would be the same and, honestly, might be worth the upgrade charge just to have the extra loyalty points and the reserved seating for shows (that me and wifey can go to while the kids are at AO).

5 minutes ago, nogard13 said:

I figured as much.  I'm not so much worried about the suite perks as about us being able to hang out as a family.  Having cabins next to each other allows us to open the balcony partition and move between cabins as we hang out with each other, but also allows privacy.  A 2BR Grand Suite would be the same and, honestly, might be worth the upgrade charge just to have the extra loyalty points and the reserved seating for shows (that me and wifey can go to while the kids are at AO).

You do not get extra loyalty points if you win a RoyalUp from balcony to suite.  Your loyalty points are awarded based on the booked category, not on the category you get by bidding.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, nogard13 said:

Reserved seating also not worth much. Stand by line also works well in my experience. Reserved seats you still need to have reserved the show to get in and 15 minutes before the show they pull the reserved signs and open the seats to all. 

Agree with above, no extra loyalty pts for wins from royal up. Just not good if you have 2 cabins. 

I would not bid if I had family in connecting cabins. You are probably better off with what you have. You'll be able to open up your balconies into a larger one and have a shared space. If you win a bid your cabin will likely not be near the rest of your family. I don't find the benefits useful especially when your entire party doesn't have the same benefits.

2 minutes ago, Denversail said:

I would not bid if I had family in connecting cabins. You are probably better off with what you have. You'll be able to open up your balconies into a larger one and have a shared space. If you win a bid your cabin will likely not be near the rest of your family. I don't find the benefits useful especially when your entire party doesn't have the same benefits.

That's true, but GS has 2 bedrooms, so we all fit in one.  Plus the loungers and table on the balcony might be worth the $300.  🙂

2 minutes ago, nogard13 said:

That's true, but GS has 2 bedrooms, so we all fit in one.  Plus the loungers and table on the balcony might be worth the $300.  🙂

Maybe consider booking the "29" cabin on a oasis class ship and the cabin next door? The 29 cabins are twice as long and have 2 extra lounge chairs, 2 regular and a table for the same price. If having lounge chairs are important. A whole lot cheaper. 

If you did a minimum bid chances arent good of winning a royal up bid anyway. Cant count on it, more like a dream when cruises sail full. Often there are nine available if you do a mock booking, someone has to no show to even have 1 lucky couple win. 

6 minutes ago, nogard13 said:

I didn't pay attention that the people in the other cabin were your kids. So that makes sense. 

I also had a royal up question please. My explorer cruise on 2/8/24 only had inside cabins when I booked. I have not used royal up previously. Does anyone know if you win a balcony bid if they take in to account the amount of the bid (I plan on a good bid, but don’t know what that will be yet. I think I won’t know bid range until I get an invite 30 days out I hear) and/or consider my Diamond Plus status when assigning cabin. Or are you randomly assigned? I am hoping that if I do a good bid and have status they may avoid obstructed balcony, but I’m thinking it is likely automated random assignment. it’s Ok if I do get obstructed, but hoping to avoid IF I win a bid. 🙂  Just curious if anyone knows or has thoughts. thank you!

11 minutes ago, Mullwi said:

I also had a royal up question please. My explorer cruise on 2/8/24 only had inside cabins when I booked. I have not used royal up previously. Does anyone know if you win a balcony bid if they take in to account the amount of the bid (I plan on a good bid, but don’t know what that will be yet. I think I won’t know bid range until I get an invite 30 days out I hear) and/or consider my Diamond Plus status when assigning cabin. Or are you randomly assigned? I am hoping that if I do a good bid and have status they may avoid obstructed balcony, but I’m thinking it is likely automated random assignment. it’s Ok if I do get obstructed, but hoping to avoid IF I win a bid. 🙂  Just curious if anyone knows or has thoughts. thank you!

Royal up is thru a 3rd party and they could care less about your loyalty status. Absolutely no bearing that we know of. It just depends on your bid. No one knows the algorithm who wins. 

I guess I cant see why being D+ would matter. Just who pays the most. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Denversail said:

I didn't pay attention that the people in the other cabin were your kids. So that makes sense. 

I thought it was one adult and one child booked in each of the two cabins. So the up bid wouldn't allow the other adult to have the benefit's.

5 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Sorry, just being honest here but the chance of winning the bid to a 2 bdrm GS with a bit of a couple hundred $ is probably about the odds of winning the powerball.

I have another RU question and I believe you are the right person to put an end to the debate... 
Similar situation as the OPs but slightly different. 
2 cabins, 1 adult and child in one cabin and 1 adult and 2 teens in the other cabin. They want to upgrade to a family cabin and have the 2 adults and the child in the family cabin and leave the teens in the other cabin, on a different deck. 
I know it doesn't matter who sleeps where, but my understanding was that an adult has to be next to, across from, or diagonally from anyone under 21 

2 minutes ago, LilBlackDress said:

I have another RU question and I believe you are the right person to put an end to the debate... 
Similar situation as the OPs but slightly different. 
2 cabins, 1 adult and child in one cabin and 1 adult and 2 teens in the other cabin. They want to upgrade to a family cabin and have the 2 adults and the child in the family cabin and leave the teens in the other cabin, on a different deck. 
I know it doesn't matter who sleeps where, but my understanding was that an adult has to be next to, across from, or diagonally from anyone under 21 

That is pretty much just for booking purposes.  On board they really don't care.  Worst case, just get extra keys made.  It will have to be done on board. 

Edited by Ourusualbeach

2 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

That is pretty much just for booking purposes.  On board they really don't care.  Worst case, just get extra keys made.  It will have to be done on board. 

Thanks!! That is kinda scary. Some people already treat the ship as a babysitter... At what age will some people feel comfortable leaving kids so far away? 

16 hours ago, Mullwi said:

Thanks cigar king. Do you have any specific threads or tips where to find other threads on this.  I have not seen any and would like to look at.

Have you tried the "search" function?  For myself I prefer using Google.  Try this:

site:boards.cruisecritic.com +"royal up"

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mullwi said:

Do you have any specific threads or tips where to find other threads on this.

In addition to the above, also search (filtered to titles only) the term "royalup" all one word - the main thread is under that title.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ourusualbeach said:

But only one adult will have the suite privileges (and the child).

13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

In addition to the above, also search (filtered to titles only) the term "royalup" all one word - the main thread is under that title.

If it's helpful, you can do both at once on Google...try this.

site:boards.cruisecritic.com +"royal up" OR +royalup

• Like 1