OBC via the Stockperks app - my experience

1 hour ago, Ondine said:

Do we have to use Stockperks when applying for local Australian based cruises?

I was watching Allison on Lets Go Travel Tips on Youtube the other night and she was describing how to apply without giving them very much private info especially bank account details etc.

Every app shares data from your phone, which on its own is innocent enough. If the company is legit and doesn't store any of that data - that would be a tick. If they have the highest security on their server that protects that data, that is another tick. However, they are now a middle player between you and Carnival, so it is just another potential vulnerability. If Carnival had their own app that had the same function, I would be much more confident.

It isn't about stealing passwords, but part of that unwritten profile about you that is gold to marketers. Have you ever browsed an item on Harveys or JB only to see the same item drop into ads on Goggle & FB? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, arxcards said:

It isn't about stealing passwords, but part of that unwritten profile about you that is gold to marketers. Have you ever browsed an item on Harveys or JB only to see the same item drop into ads on Goggle & FB? 

No but I notice when I put in a Coles online order it suggests every thing I ever bought at the supermarket.  Handy but I hate it.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, arxcards said:

Have you ever browsed an item on Harveys or JB only to see the same item drop into ads on Goggle & FB? 

DW and I don’t even need to browse. We just have a conversation in front of our devices and next thing we’re seeing ads for what we discussed. 😱

40 minutes ago, Ondine said:

No but I notice when I put in a Coles online order it suggests every thing I ever bought at the supermarket.  Handy but I hate it.

Everyday Rewards (and presumably FlyBuys too) track your purchases. If you use the rewards card even once with a credit/debit card, then they track your purchases through that card too forevermore. I’m OK with that. I’m not on the cash only bandwagon.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

DW and I don’t even need to browse. We just have a conversation in front of our devices and next thing we’re seeing ads for what we discussed. 😱

Everyday Rewards (and presumably FlyBuys too) track your purchases. If you use the rewards card even once with a credit/debit card, then they track your purchases through that card too forevermore. I’m OK with that. I’m not on the cash only bandwagon.

Same here. One day it will bite me and I'll only have myself to blame I guess. Remember when that original covid app came out that notified you if you had come into contact with a covid positive person? And everybody was up in arms about it because it allegedly "tracked" you? And those same people had Tik Tok on their phones, and used Google, and Snapchat etc etc ... 🤣 , Somehow it is more scary when you think the government is tracking you than an anonymous face in another country whose sole purpose is to steal your data, or worse.

Edited by mum and son
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Sparky74 said:

Rewards has targeted boost items that give bonus points. It is good that my fave tempura nuggets, beer batter chips & Clix crackers are often on the list. We get cat food listed on the boost list regularly as well, which is a sad reminder of a pet that died of old age in February - perhaps they will drop off the list at some stage.

I will be adding the app soon, as it seems to be the sole way of getting worthwhile OBC down the track. Track is the key word though, and any surge in stock/bit of coin related ads will be a bit a bit of a giveaway. I wonder though, does that mean no smartphone = no shareholder OBC?

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, mum and son said:

Interesting question. There must be an alternative.

I dunno. On our trans-Pacific cruise last year Carnival really struggled to cope with the fact that I didn’t have a smart phone with me. They had work arounds (like paper menus and manually booking me to the MDR for breakfast) but the staff struggled to implement them. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1

On 11/17/2023 at 2:41 PM, mum and son said:

This Eligible list includes:

Carnival

Costa

HAL

P&O Australia

Princess

Seabourn

It looks like it would cope with multiple bookings because Princess is in both my Eligible and Redeemed lists. In the Eligible list I can click on Princess and go through the Redeem Perk process again, for another cruise.

Cunard should also be on that list too as we received OBC through the carnival shareholder?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, subaru94 said:

Cunard should also be on that list too as we received OBC through the carnival shareholder?

They're not listed under the Carnival Corp & PLC category. Maybe they decided their demographic didn't suit the app yet?

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, mum and son said:

They're not listed under the Carnival Corp & PLC category. Maybe they decided their demographic didn't suit the app yet?

Hmm that's interesting seeing they are under the Carnival umbrella.  Will have to wait and see then.

• Like 1

An update to mine, it had been sitting there for 3 days "in progress".....so I applied again, same cruise and an hour later received a new updated booking from Carnival with $100 OBC added.

Went back into the App and they are both sitting there "In progress".

Also to note, when putting the date in for the cruise, 02/18.....it kept reverting to 02/17, (USA date) I had to go with that, but the confirmation Stockperks sent sent says 02/18. 

Edited by cheznandy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, rcl cruiser said:

Has anyone outside of Australia used the Stocksperk app? I loaded it, but not been able to launch it. Tried deleting and reinstalling also, but with no success.

There's plenty of chatter about it over on the main Princess forums so I'm guessing it is working for most people.

I am in Canada and I also cannot get the app to work.  I loaded it and it allowed me to set up an account but now it just crashes every time I try to open it.  I have told Princess about this and asked they give my benefits the usual way but they just keep sending me emails telling me that the app worked for others.   This is quite frustrating and a total waste of my time.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, cheerycher said:

I am in Canada and I also cannot get the app to work.  I loaded it and it allowed me to set up an account but now it just crashes every time I try to open it.  I have told Princess about this and asked they give my benefits the usual way but they just keep sending me emails telling me that the app worked for others.   This is quite frustrating and a total waste of my time.

It would appear that the app is being promoted as being easier for the passenger, whereas the real reason for doing it this way is that it is more efficient for the cruise line to administer. Another case of us jumping through hoops so that someone only has to tap a button at the other end.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I just uploaded a page of my stock broker account that showed my Carnival ownership with the account numbers blacked out.  They sent me back an email and said they would respond in 2 days with what I had to do next.  I have not received an email yet.

4 hours ago, Capt Krunch said:

I just uploaded a page of my stock broker account that showed my Carnival ownership with the account numbers blacked out.  They sent me back an email and said they would respond in 2 days with what I had to do next.  I have not received an email yet.

Maybe they're all on Thanksgiving break.