Jim_Iain Live - 2nd Half World Cruise - B2B Singapore to Down Under 11/25 – 12/21

Jim_Iain

5 hours ago, DaKahuna said:

@Jim_Iain Amazing photo's as always.   I think you have just put Bali on our bucket list of places to visit. 

I was amazed by Bali -  Costs are very favorable to the USD.   Many spent the night ashore renting Villa's with private pools for as little as $100.   

Our first guide had asked how much I paid Tours by Locals and I told him $140 for 10 hours for Guide, Car for 6 and Driver.     He said he had to hire the driver and car and was paid $70.  Some said.    The average wage in Bali is $13,000 a year.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, CardowMD said:

You may want to look for packets of Liquid IV. Another cruiser recommended and I always take a few on trips just in case I get a GI bug or seasick to help rehydrate. Costco usually have a deal on them. 

Thanks -- all great idea but can't get anything like that until at least tomorrow   We are  hoping Hobart will have supplies.   At least traveling with Australian's they will recommend local alternatives.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MMMCruiser said:

Glad you're starting to feel better, Jim.  I travel with Nuun hydration tablets, just in case one of us gets dehydrated.  They don't take up much space in the luggage.  

Your french onion soup a few nights ago looked really good but I didn't see it on the menu.  Is this one of those off the menu things they offer, and if so, can you let me know where I can find a list of them?  The Luminae menus don't always appeal to me. 

Thanks, and I hope they get those items on board when you stop in Sydney.

They are on the Anytime Menu that isn't printed - 

Starters -

Chilled Shrimp Cocktail

Escargot a la Bouguigononne

French Onion Soup

Classics -

Grilled Chicken Breast

Broiled Salmon

Grilled New York Steak

Deserts -

Cream Brulee

Cheese Cake

Apple Pie Al a Mode.

Just another -   ahum ... missing item is the deserts are missing from all the menus .

• Like 5

On 11/30/2023 at 12:18 PM, Jim_Iain said:

……..

I hate to ask -  What was the Zenith Gathering yesterday.    I'm not big on reading the mail and missed the Top Cruiser Event.    Usually there is a phone call from the CC Manager.   Have not received even received the regular call -  Wanted to welcome you aboard and look forward to meeting you.     Maybe with so many Zenith's they have not felt compelled to do so.

Even my "Attention to Detail Letter"    I have not had any response from the Hotel Director or even Customer Service.    In most businesses you expect a form letter reply -  Thanks you for your comments.

The Zenith gathering has been held on all three of our legs.  They are held in Eden at 10:30 am, and are similar to the Captains Club welcome toast/event.  Limited to Zeniths.  The captain and other top officers/strips are there.  Premixed drinks and a large  cake in the shape of the letter “Z”.  We received our printed invitation for the one held yesterday on November 28th.  Communication has been a serious problem on this ship since we boarded on October 30th. Several folks did not receive their printed invitations on the first leg and the one yesterday was attended by about half of the Zeniths onboard.  Wonder how many received their invitations.

The first leg there were two lunches with about 46 Zs on board.  With slightly over 50 on the middle leg they held three lunches.  We are back to the Z number in the high 40s and there were jokes about a very long table yesterday.   With our VIP passenger boarding in Sydney the executive team may be concerned about getting their act together.

Gerry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jim_Iain said:

They are on the Anytime Menu that isn't printed - 

Starters -

Chilled Shrimp Cocktail

Escargot a la Bouguigononne

French Onion Soup

Classics -

Grilled Chicken Breast

Broiled Salmon

Grilled New York Steak

Deserts -

Cream Brulee

Cheese Cake

Apple Pie Al a Mode.

Just another -   ahum ... missing item is the deserts are missing from all the menus .

Can’t see anything new there.😱

As many of you know that have followed me I can be a little direct.  

I thought I would share with all of you the Attention To  Detail form I just sent.   Good news the Electronic Form for has been fixed since I manually wrote last time.

********************************************************************************************************

I appreciate my previous requests were quickly resolved. 

I like to always write at the mid-point of a cruise to commend some of the staff that are making our cruise memorable.  

Retreat

Camilla - Hostess in Luminae. Top notch and has made us feel welcome since day one. 

Alarm  MD is doing a great job of managing Retreat and has addressed all of our request.  

Kumar our Luminae waiter is incredible and always has taken care of us both her on Edge as well Apex.  He is a perfectionist and takes great pride in his job.  

Wanzy -  Really efficient, ever present and warmest of personality.   She has great table side manners and also keeps us entertained. 

Now our stateroom attendant Akib, top notch and since day one we have agreed is the best we have ever had.   

Last but not least is ANU.   He is the crown jewel and the best in the fleet.  While we have very few needs he just seems to know what we need and delivers far above.  

I feel compelled to share with you a couple observations.   This is not meant as criticism but an observation and also shared with me, either privately or publicly on my current live post on Cruise Critics.  

The Retreat has a very impersonal and as cold as United Airlines Business Class Lounge.  You check in with an agent who never leaves their counter and get up and go back to the front counter to have issues resolved. 

The Hosts are being referred to as Robots.   After 7 days aboard, at least when we are in the lounge, we have only once had a Host cone over to interact, with the exception of Danny, when he came over to say he fixed the problem.  Maybe the staff is new and untrained but in all of our cruises I have never  felt like I was in an impersonal lounge.

The wait staff and bartenders are an exception.  They are very friendly and engaging.   

I do need to point out on one of the first days of the cruise my draw dropped when a friend asked the bartender for some chips and was told to get the himself.   I was embarrassed as they are regular Ponant cruisers and were on board for us to convince the to sail Celebrity more often. 

Finally, the im-personality seems to trickle down.  When I last wrote of a problem, I was surprised to get no acknowledgement.   Every other ship I have sailed I would at least get a form letter acknowledgement, a ring from Customer or a personal acknowledgement.  I have heard the same complaint from at least 10 people. 

In my past life as a Managing Director, I always had my support staff acknowledge a problem and resolve it within 24 hours.  

As I say this isn’t necessarily a complaint, but things like this pushed us to decide to sail a different line for the first time in 23 years. 

Regards,

Jim

********************************************************************************************************

After Iain listen to me read it he said - It won't make any difference.  

I replied -   At least I feel better getting it off my chest.  

• Like 23

22 minutes ago, upwarduk said:

Can’t see anything new there.😱

Nothing new on the every day menu -   While they publish it on the MDR menu they don't show it on Luminae Menus.  

Some have reported the Escargot were not available in Luminae but from the pictures you can see that it is .

1 hour ago, Northern Aurora said:

The Zenith gathering has been held on all three of our legs.  They are held in Eden at 10:30 am, and are similar to the Captains Club welcome toast/event.  Limited to Zeniths.  The captain and other top officers/strips are there.  Premixed drinks and a large  cake in the shape of the letter “Z”.  We received our printed invitation for the one held yesterday on November 28th.  Communication has been a serious problem on this ship since we boarded on October 30th. Several folks did not receive their printed invitations on the first leg and the one yesterday was attended by about half of the Zeniths onboard.  Wonder how many received their invitations.

The first leg there were two lunches with about 46 Zs on board.  With slightly over 50 on the middle leg they held three lunches.  We are back to the Z number in the high 40s and there were jokes about a very long table yesterday.   With our VIP passenger boarding in Sydney the executive team may be concerned about getting their act together.

Gerry

Now you really make me feel like the Ba$tard child.   We never received an invite, a call or nada from Captain's Club since we have been on the ship.   I just looked through our room and confirmed.

Gerry we need to meet one of these times.     How about our next sea day we set up a time for coffee or something.   If I recall we live different hours -   We are always on this cruise in Retreat at  9:00 AM near the door to the deck and at 7-8 in Retreat usually forward.   Besides that we are either out walking or hanging out in our Cabin or eating.

If you send me an email at the link in my signature I will do my best to coordinate.   I feel like a long lost friend that never met.  

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 10:10 AM, Jim_Iain said:

Shortages of all kinds of things on Edge.

Really surprised at the number of shortages there are on the ship.    From reading the Roll Call from the first two legs I knew there were supply chain issues.   Dubai didn't allow multiple container loads to be loaded -  included many wines, beers etc.  

Some of the remarkable ones that I see as a Celebrity issue are things like Brown Raw Sugar in al Bacio and the rest of the ship.    Continued outages of many of the wines on the Premium Package is apparent every evening.   One would have thought Celebrity could have locally sourced most anything in Singapore.

Imo most of it has to do with Food Safety.

Sourcing locally means that you don‘t follow your supply chain and if something happens, the company will be in tremendous trouble.

I was working in a big chocolate factory, and one day, the supplied butter was not good anymore.

So the head of production send workers over to buy butter at the local supermarket to keep on producing.

He was fired for that oversight… big drama and it was made sure that this would never happen again. And that is 20 years ago

Edited by Yoshikitty
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

The VitaminWater is starting to work but can still feel the dehydration.    I guess it took 7 days to get so dehydrated so will take awhile to re hydrate.

Jim, shouldn't you be feeling significantly better by now? Fluid without substantial sodium is pretty poor at re-hydrating. The comparison between Pedialyte and Gatorade, to VitaminWater, is pretty stark. Serious re-hydrating takes lots of water, lots of sodium so the body hangs on to the water, some potassium to help manage water output, and sugar to help get the water into your cells. VitaminWater flunks and their labels are very careful not to even hint at hydration.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was amazed by Bali -  Costs are very favorable to the USD.   Many spent the night ashore renting Villa's with private pools for as little as $100.   

Our first guide had asked how much I paid Tours by Locals and I told him $140 for 10 hours for Guide, Car for 6 and Driver.     He said he had to hire the driver and car and was paid $70.  Some said.    The average wage in Bali is $13,000 a year.

We were lucky enough to spend a week in Bali after a China tour. We booked it as a beach crash out after what had been an intensive sight seeing experience. We were AI and had not expected to do much. However, even on the journey from the airport to the hotel we fell in love with the people and the culture.

We had asked the concierge at the hotel about a private day tour for the three of us to touch the ‘best of Bali’ not particularly liking any of the options our tour operator was offering (too much shopping). Whilst it was some years ago the cost was very reasonable. Our own small van with its own driver and guide cost less than for two of us on the itinerary offered by our tour company. We had asked to see a temple, a garden, a volcano, rice fields and a nice lunch with not too much walking anywhere.

Highlight was lunch in a cafe precariously perched next to a very tall and upright volcano….Our guide told us if we were lucky we would see our drinks ‘look like Jurassic Park’…We were a bit bewildered by this remark but a few minutes later we heard a slight rumble and indeed our glasses wobbled! This happened twice…on the second occasion it was accompanied by a small fumarole giving a gentle puff half way up the mountain…It was then we decided there is being near a volcano and there is being sat on one…Such happy memories!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

Jim, shouldn't you be feeling significantly better by now? Fluid without substantial sodium is pretty poor at re-hydrating. The comparison between Pedialyte and Gatorade, to VitaminWater, is pretty stark. Serious re-hydrating takes lots of water, lots of sodium so the body hangs on to the water, some potassium to help manage water output, and sugar to help get the water into your cells. VitaminWater flunks and their labels are very careful not to even hint at hydration.

Jim

I am thinking the same as the above poster.

If you are not improving with self-self dehydration remedies.  Why not see the medical team on board?   

They may be able to provide a full diagnosis  (including a check of kidney function,).  Maybe administer some IV re-hydration? .  I am not a dr but maybe you need to see one? I believe  u have good insurance.

Meanwhile do what you can and continue to enjoy the cruise!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

Originally the 360 remark was that It started out good on first lunch then went worse on the first two nights.   After shifting to Kumar - Waiter All was restored to perfect.    Kumar was one of our Waiters on Apex in May so we know him  

The problem was that every meal they were giving us different waiters.  

Ahh...got it!  Glad you were able to roll with the punches and it's worked out so far.  Good servers make all the difference (as you know better than I).

• Like 1

Wish we enjoyed the hotter weather destinations, your photo’s are wonderful.

We are in St. Kitts today, 86 degrees, so too hot for us.   Our next cruises on Seabourn are to Greenland and the Canadian Arctic and then to the Antarctic.   I always thought we would get more tolerant to heat as we got older but it has not happened.

13 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

We have a combination of Dharnisha and Wadzy.    Wadzy is a character and always amuzing.  Her Sister is in Eden and her brother is somewhere on the ship.

Wadzy was with us on the first leg from Rome to Dubai; she is delightful and professional, and demonstrates the Celebrity team member spirit and warmth, and the reason we cruise.

Please greet her from the NZ boys, and ask her how Kiwi the Camel is enjoying the trip now!!

Edited by PeterGavin

10 hours ago, Yoshikitty said:

Imo most of it has to do with Food Safety.

Sourcing locally means that you don‘t follow your supply chain and if something happens, the company will be in tremendous trouble.

I was working in a big chocolate factory, and one day, the supplied butter was not good anymore.

So the head of production send workers over to buy butter at the local supermarket to keep on producing.

He was fired for that oversight… big drama and it was made sure that this would never happen again. And that is 20 years ago

Interesting story.    

9 hours ago, Cruising Is Bliss said:

Thanks for the advise.    I read VitiminWater and really low in electrolytes - but at least some. I put them on a list of things to pick up today

It has been a slow process and each day has been better    My go to at home is Gatorade but of course they don't have that aboard.

I've been taking it easy and adding fluids with fruits

Yesterday at Seas the Temps were about 95 and HUMID    Even the Australians were complaining and many lobster red.   It was actually hotter yesterday than when in Bali.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chemmo said:

We were lucky enough to spend a week in Bali after a China tour. We booked it as a beach crash out after what had been an intensive sight seeing experience. We were AI and had not expected to do much. However, even on the journey from the airport to the hotel we fell in love with the people and the culture.

We had asked the concierge at the hotel about a private day tour for the three of us to touch the ‘best of Bali’ not particularly liking any of the options our tour operator was offering (too much shopping). Whilst it was some years ago the cost was very reasonable. Our own small van with its own driver and guide cost less than for two of us on the itinerary offered by our tour company. We had asked to see a temple, a garden, a volcano, rice fields and a nice lunch with not too much walking anywhere.

Highlight was lunch in a cafe precariously perched next to a very tall and upright volcano….Our guide told us if we were lucky we would see our drinks ‘look like Jurassic Park’…We were a bit bewildered by this remark but a few minutes later we heard a slight rumble and indeed our glasses wobbled! This happened twice…on the second occasion it was accompanied by a small fumarole giving a gentle puff half way up the mountain…It was then we decided there is being near a volcano and there is being sat on one…Such happy memories!

I can just feel your love at going back in time and remember all the amazing people,the scenery t and the tranquil life in Bali.    I have read all about it but being here was amazing.    I would really like to spend more time her. 

Ah a Fumarole --- One of my majors at University was in Geology.   I still find it interesting when traveling to look at the the exposed rock formation.      I was pointing out to our guide the upward curving layers of earth with layers of Coral in it.   Obviously the Java had at one time been below the sea and uplifted.    We weren't near the Volcano.   That would be amazing to have the experience you had.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Whinenowine said:

Ahh...got it!  Glad you were able to roll with the punches and it's worked out so far.  Good servers make all the difference (as you know better than I).

Be warned if you have Kumar.    He pushes food on you and likes to bring an extra plated meal -  For the table.     Some how most get consumed.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Dinner last night -  I BECAME THE GUINEA PIG AND AM ORDERING 2 OF THE 3  DANIEL B ITEMS.

image.thumb.png.c8957c6bd5456e39ae07f9a0fc2b9e93.png

Daniel B - Soup -  Fond that you need to get a little of all of the increments in the coup.   The soup is cold and has a very creamy smooth texture with a nice fresh corn flavor.    Interesting.... Would I order it again No but I did enjoy it.

IMG_1066.thumb.jpeg.04c38f52909016ccc7c60bd9c9032adb.jpeg

Braised Ribs -- Kumar told David it is small so will bring another for the table.

IMG_1067.thumb.jpeg.2d4ad316babab5c98eb679d8e7b05858.jpeg

Prosciutto covered Chicken Preast

IMG_1068.thumb.jpeg.05152908bf6dc96cd71f65f0b8aea29c.jpeg

IMG_1069.thumb.jpeg.137d64a26e1e2b917d9aa501de8c0448.jpeg

OK  -  Now we present the PILL.   hmm..  Robert suggested it looks like something his dog left behind.    Presentation 100    Texture s a very smooth chocolate and covered with a dark chocolate the inside is a Creameux of milk chocolate very smooth in texture.     Robert gave it a 6-7 I give it an 8.    Would I order it again no.

IMG_1070.thumb.jpeg.91d6eb32c8e720009eebee8ac5c0a457.jpeg

Coconut Cremeux -     10+   they have had the same Item but are changing the ingredients.    Good news is that the Pastry Chef came to visit last night and let me know that he had contacted Danial B and has permission to make me a Raspberry, Pistachio Desert on the day before we arrive in Sydney.   

IMG_1071.thumb.jpeg.df48367d37cddc9cbfbc06fdd332ee8e.jpeg

Edited by Jim_Iain
  • Like 11

Hi there. Belated Happy Birthday Jim. I just finished  reading all the posts.We were on crossing years ago to  with you  to Japan. After doing over 60 cruises we saw a great deal of the world. David died  on September 18th so no more cruises, He was 97 and had a good life. After 62 years of marriage l miss him terribly . Keep cruising and stay healthy.  He ran until he was 9l. 

Sherrill  Smith  Peterborough Ontario 

• Like 8

Good news is that the Pastry Chef came to visit last night and let me know that he had contacted Danial B and has permission to make me a Raspberry, Pistachio Desert on the day before we arrive in Sydney.   

Very cool, and a terrific example of a wow moment.  Not so much the Daniel B part (he is just licensed to be a name), but that the pastry chef was willing to do this and capable. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

Hi there. Belated Happy Birthday Jim. I just finished  reading all the posts.We were on crossing years ago to  with you  to Japan. After doing over 60 cruises we saw a great deal of the world. David died  on September 18th so no more cruises, He was 97 and had a good life. After 62 years of marriage l miss him terribly . Keep cruising and stay healthy.  He ran until he was 9l. 

Sherrill  Smith  Peterborough Ontario 

:classic_love:

Please accept my deepest and  heartfelt sympathy..  62 years of marriage is a blessing...  may you enjoy beautiful memories!

glad you are following this thread ..it is a  story of happiness and love!

Hcat

• Like 9

Dinner last night -  I BECAME THE GUINEA PIG AND AM ORDERING 2 OF THE 3  DANIEL B ITEMS.

image.thumb.png.c8957c6bd5456e39ae07f9a0fc2b9e93.png

Daniel B - Soup -  Fond that you need to get a little of all of the increments in the coup.   The soup is cold and has a very creamy smooth texture with a nice fresh corn flavor.    Interesting.... Would I order it again No but I did enjoy it.

IMG_1066.thumb.jpeg.04c38f52909016ccc7c60bd9c9032adb.jpeg

Braised Ribs -- Kumar told David it is small so will bring another for the table.

IMG_1067.thumb.jpeg.2d4ad316babab5c98eb679d8e7b05858.jpeg

Prosciutto covered Chicken Preast

IMG_1068.thumb.jpeg.05152908bf6dc96cd71f65f0b8aea29c.jpeg

IMG_1069.thumb.jpeg.137d64a26e1e2b917d9aa501de8c0448.jpeg

OK  -  Now we present the PILL.   hmm..  Robert suggested it looks like something his dog left behind.    Presentation 100    Texture s a very smooth chocolate and covered with a dark chocolate the inside is a Creameux of milk chocolate very smooth in texture.     Robert gave it a 6-7 I give it an 8.    Would I order it again no.

IMG_1070.thumb.jpeg.91d6eb32c8e720009eebee8ac5c0a457.jpeg

Coconut Cremeux -     10+   they have had the same Item but are changing the ingredients.    Good news is that the Pastry Chef came to visit last night and let me know that he had contacted Danial B and has permission to make me a Raspberry, Pistachio Desert on the day before we arrive in Sydney.   

IMG_1071.thumb.jpeg.df48367d37cddc9cbfbc06fdd332ee8e.jpeg

Amazing photos as usual! The PILL looks worse than I imagined. 🤪

I am waiting for you to get the chocolate sphere! One of my favorite desserts.

• Like 2