Currently Freezing in Cold, Unheated Stateroom on Silver Nova

AnneS

I left NY yesterday on the new Silver Nova, a ship that so far seems to be annoyingly, clumsily over-digitized in all areas.

The big problem forv me is that we're sailing in 40-and 50-degree weather and my stateroom, #9041, has absolutely no heat. 

Engineering staff stubbornly, and with no evidence, claim they have fixed the problem "remotely." 

I'm exhausted from little  sleep last night and total frustration today. 

In my experience, room problems on ships with no pretense of "super-luxury" status have been addressed with attentive service this ship seems incapable of providing.

I'm going to try to find the "hotel manager," or whatever that person us called on this ship. Any other suggestions?

26 minutes ago, AnneS said:

I left NY yesterday on the new Silver Nova, a ship that so far seems to be annoyingly, clumsily over-digitized in all areas.

The big problem forv me is that we're sailing in 40-and 50-degree weather and my stateroom, #9041, has absolutely no heat. 

Engineering staff stubbornly, and with no evidence, claim they have fixed the problem "remotely." 

I'm exhausted from little  sleep last night and total frustration today. 

In my experience, room problems on ships with no pretense of "super-luxury" status have been addressed with attentive service this ship seems incapable of providing.

I'm going to try to find the "hotel manager," or whatever that person us called on this ship. Any other suggestions?

Make sure that your veranda door is completely locked and the handle is fully turned.  On the Nova, the A/C stops when the veranda door handle is not all the way around and this may be true of heat too.

• Thanks 2

Hi, Stephen Crymes is the Hotel Director.

I was just on Nova and found my digital thermast worked really well. Sorry your stateroom is so cold. I was in 9024.

An entire construction crew has been working in my room for hours now. They say the heating system in my room was built wrong at the shipyard. They removed a good part of the ceiling. And they have to continue the work tomorrow. There's been no offer of a room change so far despite my request.

24 minutes ago, AnneS said:

An entire construction crew has been working in my room for hours now. They say the heating system in my room was built wrong at the shipyard. They removed a good part of the ceiling. And they have to continue the work tomorrow. There's been no offer of a room change so far despite my request.

Yikes!  So very sorry to hear this.  Recommend that you reach out to the hotel director again and insist on a cabin change (assuming that the voyage is not sold out).   

The corporate email for Guest Relations is guestrelations@silversea.com.

Edited by Dolcevita Diva

36 minutes ago, AnneS said:

Hi Anne, so sorry to read this. I am surprised the Hotel Director would not help you.

I hope they have resolved this for you and you are warm now. 

Please keep us posted as we are in the same cabin 9041 on January 4 for 71 days. I get cold easily. No option to change cabins. (We have been trying for 8 months).  

6 minutes ago, JSR said:

I hope they have resolved this for you and you are warm now. 

Please keep us posted as we are in the same cabin 9041 on January 4 for 71 days. I get cold easily. No option to change cabins. (We have been trying for 8 months).  

If not, remember that the bathroom hairdryer can always stand in for a space heater in a pinch.   

• Haha 1

I finally got a room change/upgrade when I told them I was posting in real time on Cruise Critic. I had the guest relations manager check the heat in my new room before I relocated.

Thanks to you all for your suggestions and support. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, AnneS said:

I finally got a room change/upgrade when I told them I was posting in real time on Cruise Critic. I had the guest relations manager check the heat in my new room before I relocated.

Glad you got what you need.

For me that won’t be that simple as we need the ADA room. I hope the resolve the heating issue by January. It gives them 50+ days so hopefully it will be a non issue for us. 

On the ADA issue, both the hotel manager and I were perplexed by Room 9041's very narrow spaces between the bed and the walls. It does not appear there's enough space for a wheelchair on either side of the bed.

1 hour ago, AnneS said:

I am so glad to hear this.  Unfortunately sometimes one just has to sometimes pull out all the cards and stop being nice, and go to "firm" mode, to receive appropriate and just results for which you paid. 

The next step could have been going to Facebook, contacting Barbara Muckermanm  and/or raising CC poster Colonol Wes to kindly help you (he has all kinds of insider contacts to help impasses fade away and has helped fellow cruisers)

I hope you are now sleeping well, after this horrible day.   Good luck in your new suite (what number is the new one?

Making note to self not to book 9041, in case it gets in a bad mood again.

Maybe  your original suite had not been used before?  I see from the deck plan there are not many with that configuration, and probably not many people booking them, perhaps.  Not that that excuses you not being given another one, which was obviously available, straight away.  It is horrible being too cold.

9 hours ago, AnneS said:

On the ADA issue, both the hotel manager and I were perplexed by Room 9041's very narrow spaces between the bed and the walls. It does not appear there's enough space for a wheelchair on either side of the bed.

This is very concerning as I am a paraplegic and most have access to the bed. I hope it was just an optical illusion. The voyage and most of the segments are waitlisted. We were waitlisted for a cabin change but none cleared. We’re you assigned an ADA cabin as it sounds like you didn’t need it since the cabin you are in now is not ADA. 

JSR, you should definitely look into this. It was no optical illusion.  The balcony entrance and bathroom appeared ADA-compliant, so I have no idea why the bed was situated that way. The room has more square footage than non-ADA rooms in the same price range, so they might move the bed in some way when a handicapped person is using it. I didn't need an ADA room, but was told it was the only room available in the category/price I wanted.

@AnneS I will reach out. Thank you for the alert. Do you know if they were able to fix the temperature issues in the room? We don’t sail until January 4. Do you by any chance have a direct contact email for the Hotel Director? 
Generally the only changes they make are seperating the beds or combining them. We would want them combined. thanks for your help! 
jean

Edited by JSR

Jean,

Sorry, but I don't know the email address of the hotel director. And I  think the ship's guest relations manager/director was ultimately easier to deal with, but I don't know his email address either. I also don't know if they were ultimately successful in fixing the heat in that room. But on day 1 of destruction/construction, when I made my escape, they seemed optimistic about getting the heating apparatus to fully function by taking down the other part of the ceiling on day 2.

I do know that even in my new room, where the heat does somehow work, I continue to find the digital controls.very un-user- friendly, mysterious and frustrating. Green (environmentally sustainable) is great and necessary, but touch-screen control panels should not be mystifying! 

@AnnaS thank you for bringing the lack of space next to the bed to my attention. It is indeed impossible for a wheelchair to squeeze into 40 cm (15.5 inches). I’m working with the team at Silversea to solve the issue. Probably will be pivoting the bed 90 degrees. They have assured me the AC is working so I hope that means the heat as well though the AC will be more of a concern on our journey. 

thanks again

Edited by JSR
  • Like 1