Viking support for passenger transfer to departure port

ewenwash

Viking advertises 'Ground transfers with Viking Air purchase'.  However, they provide this service only for flights that arrive the day of the cruise departure or to passengers on pre-cruise extensions.  It does not include a pre-cruise transfer even if one is willing to be at a designated location and time on the day of transfer, nor offer a for-fee transfer.
      Due to flight uncertainty or pre-cruise extension unavailability, we  arrive in the departure country at least a day early to ensure we will be aboard when the ship departs. This matters when, for example,  the first few days are sea days, or the first day is through the Panama Canal.
    A transfer is not a major factor to plan in many locations.  But it was in Bali, in Panama, and from Santiago to Valparaiso port--a 1.5+ hour  and expensive private transfer.
    Other cruise lines we have sailed offered transfers at our cost and information on their websites on port access from the major nearby city.  We have not had that experience on cruises on Viking.  
   We would like Viking to  improve its customer transfer support, including the 'included transfer' for all Viking Air passengers, transfer and port information on its website, and consider a for-fee transfer from a central location.

• Like 1

It is my understanding that you can submit a "Transfer Request Form" to the Viking California office, at least thirty days before sailing.

Only available on the cruise departure or arrival day, and only between the ship and the main airport.

VIKING TRANSFER REQUEST FORM.pdf

Edited by HUNKY
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, HUNKY said:

It is my understanding that you can submit a "Transfer Request Form" to the Viking California office, at least thirty days before sailing.

Only available on the cruise departure or arrival day, and only between the ship and the main airport.

And only if your flight arrives at/departs from  the airport on arrival/departure day.  There is no going back to or staying at the airport to get transportation to the ship if you land before arrival day or on departure just want to get to the airport to pick up a car. 

We arranged our own air on our next cruise, which includes pre and post extensions and thus "free" transfers. My understanding is that we just need to inform Viking of our arrival and departure circumstances - where and when to find us upon arrival for the pre and where/when to take us for departure. Presumably we will be on the same flights as those who had Viking arrange things anyway.

3 hours ago, duquephart said:

We arranged our own air on our next cruise, which includes pre and post extensions and thus "free" transfers. My understanding is that we just need to inform Viking of our arrival and departure circumstances - where and when to find us upon arrival for the pre and where/when to take us for departure. Presumably we will be on the same flights as those who had Viking arrange things anyway.

Yes you get the transfers if you take a Viking pre or post extension even if you do your own airfare.  Yes you must give Viking your complete travel itinerary.  We are doing a pre in February and did just that.  We asked Viking if there was a time frame within which we must arrive.  We arrive at 11:10 am and asked if we would have to wait for later flights to arrive before being transferred.  We were told they would have transfers running from morning until 5 pm.  Our pre location is quite a distance from the airport and that evening is a group dinner at a winery so as not to miss an included event there is an arrival time limit.  

1 hour ago, CDR2001 said:

Yes, Duque, we’ve done this but the transfer form posted above needs to be completed. I also kept the confirmation on the updated invoice we received by email. No problems! 

Well this is interesting.  Our TA handled the flight communication details with Viking but i think i will check on it as this is the first time we are using a TA.  Will request a new Guest Statement to confirm.  Thanks.

12 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

And only if your flight arrives at/departs from  the airport on arrival/departure day.  There is no going back to or staying at the airport to get transportation to the ship if you land before arrival day or on departure just want to get to the airport to pick up a car. 

Well folks we know are doing this on our next cruise.  They are using our flight information as their arrival and meeting us outside the baggage claim at our arrival terminal.  They are doing their own week long pre before joining us on the Viking pre.  They are also saavy travelers who can figure out how get to the exit door for a particular flight baggage claim.  If Viking is picking us up there, should be no reason they would not pick up others traveling with Viking on a pre extension. 

On Viking transfers they have met us inside after Customs & Immigration clearance (Santiago), inside at baggage claim (Bergen), inside at baggage claim (Barcelona) and outside baggage claim on the curb (Iceland).  Iceland (2021) really threw us off because we could not find any Viking reps inside at all and got worried.  Then we saw the red jackets outside through the glass windows.  In Bergen we did not even arrange a Viking transfer.  We planned to take the Flybusse.  Viking reps saw our red tags, grabbed our bags and directed us to the transfer bus.  We thought - oh boy, a free transfer - but they figured it out and charged our stateroom account.

• Like 1

Currently on the Star.  Met a guy at embarkation who was extremely angry that he flew in a day early using Viking Air and they wouldn't provide him with transfer.  Planned to go to guest services to seek reimbursement for his Uber fare.  Gave him my sympathy and wished him luck but said that's just the way the system works.  Ran into him yesterday at tea and he was beaming.  Said after  several visits guest services gave in and awarded him $45 obc.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Currently on the Star.  Met a guy at embarkation who was extremely angry that he flew in a day early using Viking Air and they wouldn't provide him with transfer.  Planned to go to guest services to seek reimbursement for his Uber fare.  Gave him my sympathy and wished him luck but said that's just the way the system works.  Ran into him yesterday at tea and he was beaming.  Said after  several visits guest services gave in and awarded him $45 obc.

That's the Viking system. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. A lot cheaper than providing transport to everyone who uses Viking Air.

So the message is loud and clear: V awards bad behavior. Be loud and annoying and you will be paid to go away, even if you are in the wrong.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

That's the Viking system. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. A lot cheaper than providing transport to everyone who uses Viking Air.

So the message is loud and clear: V awards bad behavior. Be loud and annoying and you will be paid to go away, even if you are in the wrong.

Not the best business practice, to be sure.  Same goes with the whole "you'd get more if your booking goes to a TA instead of being handled by V directly".  

1 hour ago, Traveler145 said:

We have arranged our own air, but are taking a Viking post extension before flying home the day the extension ends.  I requested transfers to the airport only for the departure day and Viking charged us $60 per person for the transfers.

Did you point out that you have post extension?

3 hours ago, Traveler145 said:

We have arranged our own air, but are taking a Viking post extension before flying home the day the extension ends.  I requested transfers to the airport only for the departure day and Viking charged us $60 per person for the transfers.

My interpretation of Viking air transfer rule is that air transfer is included in extensions. I also arranged my own air, but Viking confirmed included air transfer for my pre-cruise extension. All I needed to do was to complete the request form to indicate my flight details.  Perhaps, the Viking rep who charged you $60 made a mistake. It does not hurt to call Viking to request refund.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Traveler145 said:

Part of the post extension includes transfer to airport. We also booked our own air for June 2023 cruise. We did the Viking  post extension in a very nice hotel in Copenhagen. We got the included transfer to an airport. A group of us were to get on a bus at 9:30 am. The bus did not come so the Viking rep  got cabs for us , were was 9 of us leaving at the same time.

What city were you in for your post extension?

We plan to do the same thing for our Athens cruise in early 2025: our own air and have the Viking post extension.  

Edited by Azulann

We're taking our first ever cruise in January it's the Pacific coast and Panama canal trip. Our TA arranged flights to LA and transfers to an overnight hotel in Long Beach . We'll get the hotel sort  book an Uber to get us to the cruise terminal . So that's all sorted. 

When we disembark at the end of the cruise in Fort Lauderdale will we be able to book a Viking transfer to Miami Airport for our flight back to the UK ? If so is that something we do once aboard or do we use an online booking form before departure. Or will there be taxis on the quayside at Fort Lauderdale maybe. ?

I would book the transfer now with Viking. You can pay extra and they will include you in the transfers if you are leaving the day of disembarkation. Contact them and they will send you a transfer form to fill out and email or fax to them. We are doing this for next year's British Isle cruise. We are flying into Bergen two day early and will find our way on the bus to our hotel. We are not staying on in London but paying Viking to transfer us to Heathrow.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NanciEA said:

I would book the transfer now with Viking. You can pay extra and they will include you in the transfers if you are leaving the day of disembarkation. Contact them and they will send you a transfer form to fill out and email or fax to them. We are doing this for next year's British Isle cruise. We are flying into Bergen two day early and will find our way on the bus to our hotel. We are not staying on in London but paying Viking to transfer us to Heathrow.

And I've arranged such transfers as well and have done so before leaving home; that way it is taken care of and one less detail to fuss with -- or forget to do. 

As long as your flight departs on disembarkation day and you have arranged your own flights, Viking will sell you transfers to the airport.  If you work with a TA, they can add the transfer for you.  Or transfers can be added via MyVikingJourney, the guest interface/self-service portal.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Crestawave said:

We're taking our first ever cruise in January it's the Pacific coast and Panama canal trip. Our TA arranged flights to LA and transfers to an overnight hotel in Long Beach . We'll get the hotel sort  book an Uber to get us to the cruise terminal . So that's all sorted. 

When we disembark at the end of the cruise in Fort Lauderdale will we be able to book a Viking transfer to Miami Airport for our flight back to the UK ? If so is that something we do once aboard or do we use an online booking form before departure. Or will there be taxis on the quayside at Fort Lauderdale maybe. ?

Port Everglades to MIA is about 48 km and takes about 35-40 minutes by car. Three options ...

As mentioned by others, sign up for the Viking bus transfer. If it's your first cruise, this may be the low-stress option.

Taxis are readily available at the cruise terminal - cost should be about $80 - $100 USD (plus tip, as you're in the US).

If you use Uber, pickup is very easy at the cruise terminal as well. Cost should be quite a bit less - about $50 (again, the ubiquitous tip is extra).

Enjoy your first cruise experience - it's normally very special! 🍺🥌

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

And I've arranged such transfers as well and have done so before leaving home; that way it is taken care of and one less detail to fuss with -- or forget to do. 

As long as your flight departs on disembarkation day and you have arranged your own flights, Viking will sell you transfers to the airport.  If you work with a TA, they can add the transfer for you.  Or transfers can be added via MyVikingJourney, the guest interface/self-service portal.  

Where might I ask is the guest interface/self-service portat?  I don't see anything about adding transfers.