Elite Internet Discount

6MonthsHere6MonthsThere

19 minutes ago, 6MonthsHere6MonthsThere said:

Googled but to no avail, can you buy the internet package when onboard, if so is it much more expensive than purchasing it prior to sailing and what % discount would we get.

Thanking you in advance.

Previously, there was a lower rate if you purchased internet pre cruise, but that was quite awhile ago. So it is the same price pre cruise or if you wait to purchase on board. 

Platinum and Elite receive a 50% discount. If you book for the entire cruise the rate is $15/day so discount is $7.50/day. If you want to book one 24hr session, rate is $20/day and with discount $10/day. This is for a 1 device plan, where you are allowed to use multiple devices, but only one ‘active’ at a time. I know of at least one cruise line, you are limited to the one device you sign up initially, meaning you would not be able to switch between a phone and a tablet or ‘share’ your plan.

Edited by wallyj
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/23/2023 at 11:53 AM, wallyj said:

Previously, there was a lower rate if you purchased internet pre cruise, but that was quite awhile ago. So it is the same price pre cruise or if you wait to purchase on board. 

Platinum and Elite receive a 50% discount. If you book for the entire cruise the rate is $15/day so discount is $7.50/day. If you want to book one 24hr session, rate is $20/day and with discount $10/day. This is for a 1 device plan, where you are allowed to use multiple devices, but only one ‘active’ at a time. I know of at least one cruise line, you are limited to the one device you sign up initially, meaning you would not be able to switch between a phone and a tablet or ‘share’ your plan.

Is the 24-hour session really 24 hours?  I would like to span 2 days (say noon on day 1 to noon on day 2).  Will that work?  Thanks.

29 minutes ago, theloo said:

Is the 24-hour session really 24 hours?  I would like to span 2 days (say noon on day 1 to noon on day 2).  Will that work?  Thanks.

No.  I am very certain it is a cruise day and not a random 24-hr cycle based on when you sign up.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, theloo said:

Actually, I believe it IS 24hours from when you sign up for the 1 day plan. Does not make sense if you signed up at 8pm and the plan would expire at midnight. I will go to the internet manager on the ship and verify as I am currently in the Sapphire, but I believe that last time I did a one day plan it was 24 hours from the time you signed up.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, wallyj said:

Actually, I believe it IS 24hours from when you sign up for the 1 day plan. Does not make sense if you signed up at 8pm and the plan would expire at midnight. I will go to the internet manager on the ship and verify as I am currently in the Sapphire, but I believe that last time I did a one day plan it was 24 hours from the time you signed up.

Thank you.  I appreciate your effort.  I don't have a plan and am not elite, so I'd like to save $20 🙂  

23 hours ago, theloo said:

@Steelers36, I just verified with internet manager/ocean navigator on Sapphire. When u purchase the 1 day plan, it will be 24hrs. from your sign up time.

• Thanks 1

Im on shaky ground here because my memory is sketchy.   Seems we once got a better deal on a discounted four device plan by waiting until we were on board.  There were three of us.   The discounted four device plan cost us less than three separate plans using the 50% discount.   Maybe someone can confirm if they still offer something like that.  

29 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Im on shaky ground here because my memory is sketchy.   Seems we once got a better deal on a discounted four device plan by waiting until we were on board.  There were three of us.   The discounted four device plan cost us less than three separate plans using the 50% discount.   Maybe someone can confirm if they still offer something like that.  

Currently same price on board the first day as pre-cruise.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, wallyj said:

@Steelers36, I just verified with internet manager/ocean navigator on Sapphire. When u purchase the 1 day plan, it will be 24hrs. from your sign up time.

Interesting.  First time hearing that.  Thanks for the correction.  Will be nice to hear one day if other ships doing the same since we are always reading about inconsistencies.

2 hours ago, ldubs said:

The previous internet pricing was never cheaper on board.  It was cheaper pre-cruise and that was a big issue for Platinum and Elite because many folks had to pay full price in advance and get the 50% rebate on board in order to save the higher cost.

If you book Plus package and get single device internet included, you will have the offer on board to buy upgrade to 4-device plan, but the only discount is saving 50% due to Platinum/Elite CC member level.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

The previous internet pricing was never cheaper on board.  It was cheaper pre-cruise and that was a big issue for Platinum and Elite because many folks had to pay full price in advance and get the 50% rebate on board in order to save the higher cost.

If you book Plus package and get single device internet included, you will have the offer on board to buy upgrade to 4-device plan, but the only discount is saving 50% due to Platinum/Elite CC member level.

I know we changed from single device plans to the discounted four device plan once on board.  After reading your responses I now suspect that four device plan was likely available on the internet pre-cruise and we just didn't notice.    

• Like 1

I found this thread with Cruise Critics search function despite it told me there was no match on my question of elite internet discount...

Our last Princess cruise was in 2022.  At that time we had to jump thru hoops to use a web based Medallion link to purchase the internet just so we got the entitled 50% discount.

Reading this thread, apparently this has changed, probably for a little bit better - that you can purchase the package once you board and still receive the 50% discount upfront? 

When I checked our brand new booking online, it does not give me any option to just purchase the internet.  Is it normal? 

If we get the 50% discount when purchase on board I dont need to get this done thru some crummy workaround like in the past, correct?

Thanks for any updates.

40 minutes ago, nho9504 said:

I found this thread with Cruise Critics search function despite it told me there was no match on my question of elite internet discount...

Our last Princess cruise was in 2022.  At that time we had to jump thru hoops to use a web based Medallion link to purchase the internet just so we got the entitled 50% discount.

Reading this thread, apparently this has changed, probably for a little bit better - that you can purchase the package once you board and still receive the 50% discount upfront? 

When I checked our brand new booking online, it does not give me any option to just purchase the internet.  Is it normal? 

If we get the 50% discount when purchase on board I dont need to get this done thru some crummy workaround like in the past, correct?

Thanks for any updates.

There was a problem with some accounts where their medallion login when they were off ship did not reflect the persons correct status.  This was due to a problem when  their medallion account was first set up and a different CC number got used (no way to see it).  However if your account is one of them with a problem the account will not show the discount if you purchase off ship.  The color of the Princess symbol in your profile will also be wrong. So that is an easy way to check if Medallion is correctly reflecting your status.  That is what caused the problem originally and if you still have a problem you will need to let Princess know so they can correct the data being accessed by medallion.  Once you are on ship a different database is used and the problem does not show up.  So you can wait and buy it on board to get the discount.

Edited by TRLD

You are talking about the Medallion that is sent to you prior the sailing?

On our Nov 2022 TATA Rome to Ft. Lauderdale we left home almost a month before our sailing for a middle east private tour, then several days in London before heading to Rome.  We got our medallions onboard.  But I remember I bought the internet package on a web-based Medallion make shift set up to get the discount.  At that time you did not get discount automatically when buying it onboard.

Apparently now there is no difference whether you buy it precruise or buy it once onboard in order to get your entitled discount.  That is all I need to make sure. 

This time since we are leaving from home directly going on the cruise (TATL from US to UK), I guess we would get our medallions before we get on board.

47 minutes ago, nho9504 said:

On our Nov 2022 TATA Rome to Ft. Lauderdale we left home almost a month before our sailing for a middle east private tour, then several days in London before heading to Rome.  We got our medallions onboard.  But I remember I bought the internet package on a web-based Medallion make shift set up to get the discount.  At that time you did not get discount automatically when buying it onboard.

Apparently now there is no difference whether you buy it precruise or buy it once onboard in order to get your entitled discount.  That is all I need to make sure. 

This time since we are leaving from home directly going on the cruise (TATL from US to UK), I guess we would get our medallions before we get on board.

You are wrong above.  Platinums and Elites always get (and got) the 50% discount whether purchased on board or in advance.  It used to be cheaper to book it in advance, but the new pricing is identical for advance purchase or on board.

1 hour ago, nho9504 said:

I used the term medallion to refer to the medallion app, not the rfid token.

8 hours ago, TRLD said:

There was a problem with some accounts where their medallion login when they were off ship did not reflect the persons correct status.  This was due to a problem when  their medallion account was first set up and a different CC number got used (no way to see it). 

Actually, for me this problem has nothing to do with my Princess member number.  My captain's circle status was correct on the medallion app until I downloaded an update, then it switched from black to blue.  I've had it corrected to black a couple of times, but it's currently blue again due to an update a month or so ago. It seems to bounce back to blue whenever there's an app update.   I've emailed a couple of times to fix it again but no one has gotten back to me yet.  I'm boarding in a couple of weeks and will just purchase wifi once I get on board, so I'm not all that worried about it right now.  I'm hopeful that the new app won't have this problem. 

32 minutes ago, pompeii said:

Actually, for me this problem has nothing to do with my Princess member number.  My captain's circle status was correct on the medallion app until I downloaded an update, then it switched from black to blue.  I've had it corrected to black a couple of times, but it's currently blue again due to an update a month or so ago. It seems to bounce back to blue whenever there's an app update.   I've emailed a couple of times to fix it again but no one has gotten back to me yet.  I'm boarding in a couple of weeks and will just purchase wifi once I get on board, so I'm not all that worried about it right now.  I'm hopeful that the new app won't have this problem. 

I just did this las week.

My app always lists me as blue but as soon as I step on the ship it changes to black.

I purchased discounted wifi through the App with the P/E discount applied  once I stepped on the ship. I didn’t need to talk to anyone or wait in line, I just purchased in App. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, pompeii said:

The best I can determine the App uses a different DB then the main Princess one. When one first initialized the app (as with other Princess systems) if there were any places the data did not match exactly a new cc number was created and used for the app dB. That is why you get the blue, instead of the proper black. The web version uses the main Princess DB so you can use it, even with the app problem (if it allows you to access the booking at all, another problem if the booking is picked up by the app first).

Problem is that there is no way for the customer to see what the app db uses for a cc number. If they change it, but do not correct it everywhere in the app dB then as in your case the problem will return after an app update. 

Once you are on ship the app accesses a db on the ship that is populated with data from the main Princess system and the problem goes away, until the cruise ends.

Edited by TRLD
  • Like 1

I spoke to Princess and they added Internet for one device for me.   The full amount of $105 that I was charged is appearing in my travel summary for my  January cruise.  The representative that I spoke to was aware that I was Elite.

Just wondering if guests that had paid in advance as I did,  automatically received a 50% OBC or did you have to have the obc added to your account at  guest services?

Thanks

Edited by sandybeaches44