Service expectations on ncl?

djasinsk

8 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Whenever I get a passing glimpse of other cabins when their door is open I sometimes gasp at what slobs some can be.  My first thought is always …”poor steward”!

Agreed. Speaking with other passengers on our last cruise, I understand some cabins look like a bomb went off. That's borderline uncivilized behavior. Oh, but I keep forgetting "I'm on vacation! I can do whatever I want." 🙄

• Like 2

I can't remember if I already posted this, but here goes: while our steward did a great job in all aspects, he was firm in saying that if we missed the chance to have him clean our room, he wasn't going to come back and do it later. This happened at least twice, where we left our room in the morning and neglected to turn off the red "do not disturb" light. Since he assumed we were in there, he didn't clean the room. We were gone a long time (shore excursions, I think), so when we returned and our cabin was still dirty, we realized what we'd done wrong. We ran into him in the hallway and asked if he could do turn-down service and he politely said "no, I have other cabins to clean, you'll just have to wait until tomorrow." Side note: I actually prefer the little dial option they had on the Epic last December, because it was easier to remember to change it to "please make up room" while leaving rather than remembering to turn off the red light BEFORE departing the cabin. So, in sum, don't necessarily expect your steward to come back later if you missed your chance!

7 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I can't remember if I already posted this, but here goes: while our steward did a great job in all aspects, he was firm in saying that if we missed the chance to have him clean our room, he wasn't going to come back and do it later. This happened at least twice, where we left our room in the morning and neglected to turn off the red "do not disturb" light. Since he assumed we were in there, he didn't clean the room. We were gone a long time (shore excursions, I think), so when we returned and our cabin was still dirty, we realized what we'd done wrong. We ran into him in the hallway and asked if he could do turn-down service and he politely said "no, I have other cabins to clean, you'll just have to wait until tomorrow." Side note: I actually prefer the little dial option they had on the Epic last December, because it was easier to remember to change it to "please make up room" while leaving rather than remembering to turn off the red light BEFORE departing the cabin. So, in sum, don't necessarily expect your steward to come back later if you missed your chance!

I think this is reasonable on a mass market cruise line like NCL. If one wants old fashioned lavish, personal service where the staff treats you like you're their only priority, it's time to pay to be in The Haven or book with one of the companies that focuses on small ships and personalized service. I think OP is definitely using the wrong cruise line as their expectations are not realistic for a mass market line.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

Now THAT is an issue.  I get it. If he's still working on cabins, that means the time he DIDN'T spend cleaning your cabin earlier, he could have come back and cleaned it later.  I understand if he wasn't around because his shift was up.  But, the mere fact he was there to TELL you he wasn't going to clean your cabin is a faux pas on his part.

Not sure...but I might have called house keeping or visited customer service if he didn't want to clean my cabin and stated as much.  I don't have a problem with when they do it.  But, if they're still cleaning and won't clean mine, even though I left the DNC light on, I'd probably want to at least some clarification from the housekeeping supervisor about that decision or policy.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

Not sure...but I might have called house keeping or visited customer service if he didn't want to clean my cabin and stated as much.  I don't have a problem with when they do it.  But, if they're still cleaning and won't clean mine, even though I left the DNC light on, I'd probably want to at least some clarification from the housekeeping supervisor about that decision or policy.

I should add, for the purposes of clarification, that only 1 out of the 2 times this happened, did we speak with him directly. The other time, we called housekeeping and they said if the light was on when he stopped by on his rounds, he wasn't allowed to knock or go in, so that was on us. I just chalk this up to a faux pas on our part. I know that the stewards are pretty much overworked as it is, and they deserve to have time for breaks, meals, and sleep. I'm spoiled enough as it is having anybody make my bed while on vacation! And our steward was very thoughtful when it came to a couple of small requests we had. We left him a very modest cash tip at the end.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

That’s a good point.  I try to keep my room relatively neat.  I don’t throw my clothes around or leave towels in every corner of the room. ....

Whenever I get a passing glimpse of other cabins when their door is open I sometimes gasp at what slobs some can be.  My first thought is always …”poor steward”!

I too am surprised when I walk past open doors and the  cabin is a disaster area.

I also note that when walking past the business class section of an aircraft and it is a mess as well. Is it certain people that think they are entitled and they do not have to clean or pick up after themselves?

Curious if they are like that at home?

• Like 2

On 11/28/2023 at 8:51 AM, seemoreroyals said:

Then after that NCL can implement the move to the front of the line drink pass.  For X amount of dollars you get to elbow everybody else out of the way to get your favorite drink at the bar of your choice.  

We tip $1 per drink when we get the drinks. We don't drink all that much, so it doesn't break the bank. And we generally get served very quickly, sometimes before we even have a chance to sit down. This skill was honed in our 20s at local bars, where we also tipped well. I actually consider it a laziness tax on myself, since I don't have to get my own drink...

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TQuila said:

We tip $1 per drink when we get the drinks. We don't drink all that much, so it doesn't break the bank. And we generally get served very quickly, sometimes before we even have a chance to sit down. This skill was honed in our 20s at local bars, where we also tipped well. I actually consider it a laziness tax on myself, since I don't have to get my own drink...

If it makes you happy to tip extra I say go for it.  Just remember on a 7 day cruise for 2 people you are already tipping over $700 for the week.  $280 to room steward, regular dining and other NCL employees,  and the bulk of the extra going to the bar staff as the 20% gratuity you are paying as part of the unlimited drink package.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TQuila said:

I use the same technique. People complain about slow service but 1$ and a smile gets me faster service. It’s worth it instead of standing 3 deep at a bar and getting cut off by rude people. I’m a creature of habit so a regular bar tender will remember my order and make it before I even make my way to the bar usually.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, SoloAlaska said:

I’m a creature of habit so a regular bar tender will remember my order and make it before I even make my way to the bar usually.

I had a bartender at Maltings serve me a drink I hadn't even ordered, because he overheard me say to another guest "I'd like to try this drink next." Blown away!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Now THAT is an issue.  I get it. If he's still working on cabins, that means the time he DIDN'T spend cleaning your cabin earlier, he could have come back and cleaned it later.  I understand if he wasn't around because his shift was up.  But, the mere fact he was there to TELL you he wasn't going to clean your cabin is a faux pas on his part.

I agree. It's not like they can do the rooms in any particular order. Although if all the rooms have a DND sign at some point, that would make getting everything done a little more difficult.

Sounds like a steward I recently had, although my room did get cleaned every day.  She had to enter my room in order to prominently place the "Hero" card, along with her info, in the middle of my bed every day! Absolutely no contact until I asked for the "your're leaving" instructions because I hadn't gotten them. Got a too bad, so sad, get over it attitude, why are you bothering me, as surely it was my mistake, not hers!

58 minutes ago, seemoreroyals said:

If it makes you happy to tip extra I say go for it.  Just remember on a 7 day cruise for 2 people you are already tipping over $700 for the week.  $280 to room steward, regular dining and other NCL employees,  and the bulk of the extra going to the bar staff as the 20% gratuity you are paying as part of the unlimited drink package.

Well aware of that. Still a bargain for that level of service, quite frankly.

Well one could, if one wanted, tip $1 in cash each time a drink was served, then deduct the total sum from the DSC at the end of the cruise. Not that I'm advocating that, but it's one option that makes you look generous but still coming out ahead, moneywise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pete_coach said:

I also note that when walking past the business class section of an aircraft and it is a mess as well. Is it certain people that think they are entitled and they do not have to clean or pick up after themselves?

Curious if they are like that at home?

The difference with business class seats is they get a lot more "stuff" that there really is no place to put it after using it, so, it ends up haphazardly strewn around the seat.  On a United Polaris seat you get a couple blankets, a couple pillows, amenity kits, maybe pajamas, there is no place to put all that stuff to make it look neat. 

34 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

The difference with business class seats is they get a lot more "stuff" that there really is no place to put it after using it, so, it ends up haphazardly strewn around the seat.  On a United Polaris seat you get a couple blankets, a couple pillows, amenity kits, maybe pajamas, there is no place to put all that stuff to make it look neat. 

Well, I have flown business class many times and you really do not get "a lot  more stuff". And the "stuff" you get is quickly picked up by the the flight attendant if you give it to them instead of throwing on the floor. You s=do not need to sit in squalor.

It is a personal choice, that is my point. Be a slob or be neat and tidy.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Well, I have flown business class many times and you really do not get "a lot  more stuff". And the "stuff" you get is quickly picked up by the the flight attendant if you give it to them instead of throwing on the floor. You s=do not need to sit in squalor.

Your experience does not match mine.  I listed out the gear you get in Polaris - can you name ANY economy class seat that gets all of that stuff?  And I can assure you if I tried to hand any of that back to a flight attendant there is no way they would take it back.

"squalor"?  Really?  OK, if that's what you consider it, I guess I shouldn't have engaged in this conversation.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

Your experience does not match mine.  I listed out the gear you get in Polaris - can you name ANY economy class seat that gets all of that stuff?  And I can assure you if I tried to hand any of that back to a flight attendant there is no way they would take it back.

"squalor"?  Really?  OK, if that's what you consider it, I guess I shouldn't have engaged in this conversation.

OK. My experiences have been very good. Sorry yours were not.

If you sit in your seat the entire flight surrounded by all your "stuff" then you are you. I take what I need and call the flight attendant to take the excess. I have never had a flight attendant in business class not try to accommodate  us.

Oh and I have flown Polaris class and used some of the items and the others were taken away.

United-Boeing-787-10-Dreamliner-Polaris-Newark-Tel-Aviv-Zach-Griff-46.webp

1 hour ago, pete_coach said:

I agree with @pete_coach. We have begun flying Business Class for longer flights and I always have plenty of storage space for things I'm not using. (I usually have the blanket draped over my legs and the pillow at my back, plus the slippers and socks on). Any other smaller items are usually already in a small kit/purse-like thing and can be easily stowed away. I roll my eyes upon leaving the plane when I see the pig stye some of my fellow passengers have left behind. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, DCGuy64 said:

I agree with @pete_coach. We have begun flying Business Class for longer flights and I always have plenty of storage space for things I'm not using. (I usually have the blanket draped over my legs and the pillow at my back, plus the slippers and socks on). Any other smaller items are usually already in a small kit/purse-like thing and can be easily stowed away. I roll my eyes upon leaving the plane when I see the pig stye some of my fellow passengers have left behind. 

@pete_coach began this comment by writing about "walking past the business class section", presumably at the end of a flight.  I agree that during a flight it's fairly easy to keep things neat.  I find that when the section looks a mess is at the end when all of the used blankets, pillows, amenities etc are left behind becuase there really is no where else to put them.  Yes, I agree, if you aren't going to use something at the beginning of the flight you can probably get an FA to take it away.  But at the end of the flight, when the passengers are finished using the products, I don't see how it's reasonable to expect people to return all those products to the neat and tidy piles that they found them in.

But OK, I surrender.  You guys are probably right that business class folks prefer to live in squalor.  The fact that they have a lot more room in which to have their stuff compared to economy class where there is barely room for a human has nothing to do with the appearance of the cabins.

• Haha 2

9 minutes ago, PATRLR said:

But at the end of the flight, when the passengers are finished using the products, I don't see how it's reasonable to expect people to return all those products to the neat and tidy piles that they found them in.

Oh, but I do think it's reasonable. Good manners and being polite and thoughtful apply to everyone, regardless how much was paid for the ticket. That's my view, anyway.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, TQuila said:

Well aware of that. Still a bargain for that level of service, quite frankly.

I tip per drink, and the level of service you get at the bar is amazing when you do.  Granted, I don't usually have the FAS drink package so I'm no pre-paying any gratuities.  But even the one time I did do the FAS package, I still tipped per drink.  Take care of your bartenders and they will take care of you.

• Like 5

11 hours ago, dbrown84 said:

I tip per drink, and the level of service you get at the bar is amazing when you do.  Granted, I don't usually have the FAS drink package so I'm no pre-paying any gratuities.  But even the one time I did do the FAS package, I still tipped per drink.  Take care of your bartenders and they will take care of you.

Not gonna happen here. I pay 20% on the drink package. I am not going to tip another dollar or more per drink. I get waited on just fine. I understand you don't have the drink package so that is different to me but with the drink package 20% is enough for me.

• Like 6