Signature Suites Zuiderdam

Toad

I have booked a SS guarantee and am now second guessing if I should have just picked a cabin. To be honest, I cheated out cause the PCC told me there was, “no such thing as a bad SS”.  Now I am wondering if I should call back, pay more and book.  Oh the second guessing…..

We have booked an SS guarantee on the Noordam for travel in March.  We like SS cabins.  We had an SS on the Zuiderdam in 2019, and were not disappointed.  The extra size of the SS cabin is quite noticeable.  We were in a veranda cabin on the Oosterdam last month, and we wished we could have found an SS cabin.  Veranda cabins are smaller than an SS and usually have smaller verandas.  Why would you have to pay more unless you are moving up to a Neptune?

There are a lot of SS cabins on deck 8 which some people feel are noisy.  The noise has never bothered me.   I love deck 8 because of the proximity to the Lido.  I’m hoping for an upsell offer for a SS on my upcoming cruise on the Oosterdam.  

Edited by 0106
  • Like 1

The only ones I definitely wouldn't want are right at the bow of the ship.  SY5001 and SY5002  All the rest would be fine with me; however, I wouldn't really want the deck 8 cabins due to possible noise from the Lido Deck above but some people aren't bothered up there.

image.png.568bcbc708b7307c205df0888bae1529.png

image.thumb.png.7d49fb32dfa82a0d70e1420bf1ae7681.png

You can look at the deck plans online.  It looks like a lot of the SS (Signature Suite) staterooms are under the Lido.  It would be worth the $ to choose your stateroom in a quieter location.  When you refer to SS do you mean Signature Suite or the actual SS classification?

Edited by oaktreerb

4 minutes ago, Toad said:

Yes that is what I was told, that it costs more to pick a cabin. I wonder if anyone ever felt they had a bad SS cabin?

Sort of. And we picked it. We chose an SS that was a connecting room. On some classes of ships, the connecting door causes you to lose a closet.

We are not, by any stretch of the imagination, light packers. We missed the closet, but the room was great otherwise.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oaktreerb said:

You can look at the deck plans online.  It looks like a lot of the SS (Signature Suite) staterooms are under the Lido.  It would be worth the $ to choose your stateroom in a quieter location.  When you refer to SS do you mean Signature Suite or the actual SS classification?

Sorry,I meant a signature suite guarantee.

• Like 1

We always pay more to pick our cabin and always do pick the deck under the Lido.  

No deal breakers  so far for us.  

Plus there is usually no surcharge for this deck ,while other "choose your cabin" decks not under the Lido are often surcharged on top the the extra original "choose your own cabin" surcharge.

We do watch what is above us, but last time we were under the Dive In - zero noise inside  our cabin in this busy location, with only some scarping noise when on the verandah.   Love the easy access to the Lido deck offerings.

One flight of stairs up is my own wussy limit. We like to avoid the elevators, so this deck just works for us best. Easy to go down stairs to other decks, and then use the elevator only when heading back up. 

• Like 1

We usually book an SZ guy. Abit cheaper than SS.  Due to the fact that there are very few SZs the odds are you will end up in an SS. We have always ended up in SS and currently on Grand Africa ended up in an SS. Midship. Deck 6. Which we prefer to deck 8. We are sandwiched between 2 decks of cabins,  very quiet  We have heard complaints about furniture being moved on 9. And we had actually more than once seen flooded cabins under the pool areas during storms

I was beginning to feel reassured, but then I heard the words “flooded cabins”, somehow this does not sound like a good thing on a cruise ship!  Actually, it does appear my concerns about noise at least have been alleviated, and even way forward sounds fine to me!  Glad of the input of others.  TY

Each ship is different as to cabins in the Signature category.  Personally, I would not like the far forward cabins on the Zuiderdam on deck 5.  Now, an SS subcategory Signature should all be fine, as they are on deck 6.  6117 is my favorite as it has the angled balcony and cabin.

34 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Each ship is different as to cabins in the Signature category.  Personally, I would not like the far forward cabins on the Zuiderdam on deck 5.  Now, an SS subcategory Signature should all be fine, as they are on deck 6.  6117 is my favorite as it has the angled balcony and cabin.

I think the far forward signatures on deck 5 are handicapped cabins so I would expect since we don’t need that it would be saved for others?…

2 hours ago, WriterOnDeck said:

Stabilizers control roll, not pitch, so your position forward or aft of them shouldn't matter.

I think that I know the difference. I should have also stated that just rear of midships will be subject to less rising and falling of the bow.

FB_IMG_1603764375120.jpg.e4279ad9c0345b9d235f787dcf5de8a2.jpg

FB_IMG_1603807521567.jpg.bedfeddc9dd022b310cf26c6f9729355.jpg

PicofMcCulloch4.thumb.jpg.5d5ad1f42106646d144a8bfe10d6ff00.jpg

13 hours ago, POA1 said:

Sort of. And we picked it. We chose an SS that was a connecting room. On some classes of ships, the connecting door causes you to lose a closet.

We are not, by any stretch of the imagination, light packers. We missed the closet, but the room was great otherwise.

On the Zuiderdam, our guarantee SS was a connecting cabin and, yes, we did lose a closet.  Nonetheless, the SS was worth it.  There is no comparison between a balcony and an SS.  It is well worth it.

21 minutes ago, Heartgrove said:

I think that I know the difference. I should have also stated that just rear of midships will be subject to less rising and falling of the bow.

FB_IMG_1603764375120.jpg.e4279ad9c0345b9d235f787dcf5de8a2.jpg

FB_IMG_1603807521567.jpg.bedfeddc9dd022b310cf26c6f9729355.jpg

PicofMcCulloch4.thumb.jpg.5d5ad1f42106646d144a8bfe10d6ff00.jpg

Or just forward of midship. Many readers here do not, so I simply sought to clarify.