Thoughts, impressions, and observations for the World Cruise.

3 hours ago, island lady said:

I was going to wait for two years after your bro retired.  I made it a year, with new "house husband" in residence.  Then...he found out how stressed out I was in my career...which made him stressed out watching me.  Soooo...he finally told me "I don't have anyone to play with...I need you to retire and join me".   Ummm...OK...twist my arm.  🥰  Best thing we ever did together.  Never looked back.  🤗

Though unfortunately my doctor told me I did not get out in time.  He told me I  suffered a minor stoke that last year, and messed up my heart worse than it was as birth defect.  Oh well...meds, relaxation, and no stress...hopefully my heart is happy with that. 😉  So far...I am happy....and enjoying every minute of the retirement and traveling.  

Bucky is a wise man. Glad you listened to him and at the time he had no idea of your stroke. Meant to be. Cheers...🍷

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, doghog said:

And she wants to do her sewing in a public area and not in her cabin. 🙄 I play the drums...

Why is this such an issue for you? Did someone run over all of your fingers with a sewing machine once? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, mrgabriel said:

Why is this such an issue for you? Did someone run over all of your fingers with a sewing machine once? 

It's not. Hard to believe, yes. No, but I stabbed myself with a needle once when I was attempting to sew a button back on a shirt many years ago.😂 

• Haha 6

10 hours ago, doghog said:

Bucky is a wise man. Glad you listened to him and at the time he had no idea of your stroke. Meant to be. Cheers...🍷

I never even knew I had it....just a nagging tightness in my chest.  And it was not the bra.  😄 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Current position.   Fortunately the Pacific calmed down a bit, and I had a nice night of gently rocking me to sleep like a baby!  🙂 

Gliding up the west coast of Chili, another sea day with yet another one tomorrow.  Oh how unique!  😑

Oh well, will be a good "TAD" in Valparaiso Chili on the 23rd, as we have a full day winery tour booked.  And hopefully another 3 bottles of complimentary wine sent to the cabin again on our return to the ship.  🤗

20240121_071023.jpg

• Like 8

Interesting info on your Machu Picchu tour John and Laura.  You will have fun I am sure!  What a nice experience you will have.  🙂

For us...wow...empty ship for 2 full days!  Oooohhh...drinks on the house!  😄 🥂🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, doghog said:

It's not. Hard to believe, yes. No, but I stabbed myself with a needle once when I was attempting to sew a button back on a shirt many years ago.😂 

Klutz!  😄   

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, island lady said:

I was going to wait for two years after your bro retired.  I made it a year, with new "house husband" in residence.  Then...he found out how stressed out I was in my career...which made him stressed out watching me.  Soooo...he finally told me "I don't have anyone to play with...I need you to retire and join me".   Ummm...OK...twist my arm.  🥰  Best thing we ever did together.  Never looked back.  🤗

Though unfortunately my doctor told me I did not get out in time.  He told me I  suffered a minor stoke that last year, and messed up my heart worse than it was as birth defect.  Oh well...meds, relaxation, and no stress...hopefully my heart is happy with that. 😉  So far...I am happy....and enjoying every minute of the retirement and traveling.  

I hope you have many, many more years of traveling enjoyment! I’m sorry your job affected your health negatively. ☹️ Glad you stepped out when you did.  My work stress has been awful for the past couple of years, and has affected my health. That’s why I am retiring early, and my hubby shortly after.  🙂 I seriously love what I do, but the workload isn’t changing.  It would be the same elsewhere. So…time to go! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, barbeyg said:

I hope you have many, many more years of traveling enjoyment! I’m sorry your job affected your health negatively. ☹️ Glad you stepped out when you did.  My work stress has been awful for the past couple of years, and has affected my health. That’s why I am retiring early, and my hubby shortly after.  🙂 I seriously love what I do, but the workload isn’t changing.  It would be the same elsewhere. So…time to go! 

Totally agree...your health is the most important thing.  Congrats on making the right decision to retire early for your health...both mentally and physically.  I guarantee you will be happy you did!  🥰

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, FromSea2ShiningSea said:

When the time comes up, you will know.  DH was in the same field as you.  Medicine was what he wanted to do since he was 4 or 5 yrs old.  He loved being on OB/Gyn.  He actually wasn’t ready to retire but covid changed the practice of medicine.  It changed how one could interact with patients, how much time you spent with them.  A lot of the things that made the doctor/patient relationship so rewarding everyday were gone.  Clinical teaching was a big part of his day to day practice and that became different, too.  At that point, it didn’t look like things would turn around very quickly, that it would go back to normal.  So, it seemed the right time for him to step away from practicing medicine.  He kept his medical license so he would have options and see what happens. 

So, you will find your time, too.  You have colleagues you can stay in touch with.  Pick up new hobbies.  DH is playing more golf.  His suggestion is to keep your options open.  Doors will open.  Soon after DH retired, an opportunity came up for him to consult for a medical device company that involves technology and teaching while learning new things.  He does miss teaching, his patients, his residents, work family and even being on-call but does enjoy this new chapter of life now that includes working out, a little golf, cruising and time with family.  And you will write your own new chapter, too.

I hope you enjoy Odyssey next month.  It is one of my favorite ships, especially the Windjammer.  

😍🤩😘🥰

• Like 2

Damn...should have taken my phone to lunch to take pictures. (But will so the next time we have lunch in there). 
So I just had the best steak of my life in Chops for lunch today.  Always wonderful Ellen enticed us to a half price lunch at Chops today.  Wow...wow.  Steak was fantastic and cut like warm butter.  Not sure why they only offer the 8 oz. for lunch versus the choice of 8 or 6 (petite) filet for dinner.....but that is what it was.   

The always fantastic wild mushroom soup, that I ordered with extra truffle oil drizzle (and waiter told me it was triple...so I called it "Triple Truffle").   

Then when I received the "truffle fries"...for a side that we shared...he told me it was also "Triple Truffle".  😄 😄  OMG...we love our Chops crew in there.  What a great time!  😍

They had stashed a bottle of Kim Crawford SB aside for me (when the rest of the ship was out for a week now)...and just kept pouring it in my glass.  Oh yeah...time for a nap.  😉 

• Like 14

5 hours ago, island lady said:

I never even knew I had it....just a nagging tightness in my chest.  And it was not the bra.  😄 

I've heard others same the same. The stroke, not the bra. 😉

• Haha 1

Tootling right along...fairly calm seas...light tail wind.  

Nice lecture in the theater today about Valparaiso.  Have a winery tour booked there, but will have the other half of the day to explore the interesting city.  

Current position:

20240121_131412.jpg

• Like 4

On 1/19/2024 at 10:40 AM, island lady said:

I absolutely feel the same way.  No way I want to join that zoo of pax shoving and pushing at the railings with kids screaming. 

Sooo happy to have my quiet balcony all to myself.  😉    Same shots...no crowding.   Nice glass of SB when I duck into the cabin to warm up.  🤗

On some of the more scenic passes, do they ever turn the ship for a bit so the port side balconies can see as well? I'll definitely want to do my research on which side to book if I make it to a SA cruise. Sounds like starboard definitely has the better views on your route. Thanks for all the posts!

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, island lady said:

Nice lecture in the theater today about Valparaiso.  Have a winery tour booked there, but will have the other half of the day to explore the interesting city.  

Did a Panama Canal cruise in Nov. 2007 on Celebrity Infinity from Port Everglades to Valparaiso.  Unfortunately we didn't have time to stay in Valparaiso.  We took a bus tour from Valparaiso to Santiago airport.

Enjoy!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, HxFx said:

On some of the more scenic passes, do they ever turn the ship for a bit so the port side balconies can see as well? I'll definitely want to do my research on which side to book if I make it to a SA cruise. Sounds like starboard definitely has the better views on your route. Thanks for all the posts!

In Antarctica the captain spun the ship around a few times. And of course while cruising fjords you need to turn around and go back. 

But if you are doing a SA cruise from east to west, choose starboard

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, HxFx said:

Thanks...Yes, captain did that in a couple of spots.  But it was rare, though in a couple of fjords.....we went back out the way we came, which gave the best view to port side then.  

Being starboard balcony has it's unexpected benefits indeed.  Since we are circling South America from north to south and back up again on the western side....it's put us starboard facing land.  

Edited by island lady
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HxFx said:

When we did the Southern Caribbean on Serenade with Capt Stig, on leaving St. Lucia he brought us down to the Pitons. He stopped between them did a 360 with the ship and then stayed there giving us all an amazing sunset. So he did give everyone a view. Awesome captain.

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, island lady said:

Damn...should have taken my phone to lunch to take pictures. (But will so the next time we have lunch in there). 
So I just had the best steak of my life in Chops for lunch today.  Always wonderful Ellen enticed us to a half price lunch at Chops today.  Wow...wow.  Steak was fantastic and cut like warm butter.  Not sure why they only offer the 8 oz. for lunch versus the choice of 8 or 6 (petite) filet for dinner.....but that is what it was.   

The always fantastic wild mushroom soup, that I ordered with extra truffle oil drizzle (and waiter told me it was triple...so I called it "Triple Truffle").   

Then when I received the "truffle fries"...for a side that we shared...he told me it was also "Triple Truffle".  😄 😄  OMG...we love our Chops crew in there.  What a great time!  😍

They had stashed a bottle of Kim Crawford SB aside for me (when the rest of the ship was out for a week now)...and just kept pouring it in my glass.  Oh yeah...time for a nap.  😉 

Wonderful!  We’re doing lunch on Brilliance on embarkation day and hoping for a good steak.  It’s seems like it’s always a gamble.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cruiselvr04 said:

Wonderful!  We’re doing lunch on Brilliance on embarkation day and hoping for a good steak.  It’s seems like it’s always a gamble.  

The "Cheers with an Officer" lunch used to have decent "Chops" steak...but the last two I had were pretty bad, and not so good on previous ships either.  

The lunch a few days ago in Giovanni's...steak was very good, and then the lunch in Chops...fantastic!

I am guessing they save the best cuts for their specialty restaurants...which makes sense.  Closer to the kitchen with the chefs working in the open, visible space there under scrutiny.  😉 

Edited by island lady
  • Like 1

Sunrise coming up over the Andes...well they are somewhere over there...way over there to the east.

It was made even more inviting with my morning Latte.  Pink mug of course.   😄 

20240122_050203.jpg

20240122_050255.jpg

• Like 17

Another new show last night.  Once again the talented 5 singers, plus the orchestra featuring the "High Seas" horns.  Lots of energy.  This time we both came prepared and brought our ear plugs...and with Bucky using his, even simply taking his hearing aids out...was still too loud.  Both walked in with a glass of wine, found good seats...and enjoyed the evening.  🙂  Show called "In Concert".  

Once again no pictures...won't do that to our neighbors.  😉  Though many did not care and constantly had their bright cell screens held up to film the show.  Ughhh...

• Like 9

1 hour ago, island lady said:

The "Cheers with an Officer" lunch used to have decent "Chops" steak...but the last two I had were pretty bad, and not so good on previous ships either.  

The lunch a few days ago in Giovanni's...steak was very good, and then the lunch in Chops...fantastic!

I am guessing they save the best cuts for their specialty restaurants...which makes sense.  Closer to the kitchen with the chefs working in the open, visible space there under scrutiny.  😉 

We had dinner in Chops last night and Jim loved his Filet!  As always, great food and service!  

The MDR has had an “off the menu” dinner special each night.  On Night 1 of this cruise, the special was Filet Mignon, which of course was Jim’s choice.  He said his Filet was as good as the ones he gets in Chops.

• Like 3