No More Made to Order Omelette

Gamecock_Cruiser

7 minutes ago, rellersi said:

I saw that, I meant on the lido deck not in the dining room. We never go to the dining room for breakfast

It appears that you can.  The original post is a little misleading in that it should have mentioned that this is only for the brunch in the dining room.  You can still get a custom omelette on lido.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tom-n-Cheryl said:

Agreed. I'm pretty comfortable with that now. I wish I had felt (fully) this way back when CCL was dropping below $10 !! 

At least I'm out of the red now - and CCL is slowing crawling out of their deep hole.

Tom

All true

We have only sailed Carnival twice, most recently a month or so ago. Tried sea day brunch with our large gang and it was disappointing. The legendary 12-hour french toast was very oily and was not any better than the stuff at the Lido. Thick, yes, but not tasty. It was also tough to get coffee refills or any alternative to milk for the coffee. We won't do it again but considering the dirt cheap pricing on this cruise we were not expecting much.

27 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Reference?

I saw the same article he/she is referencing. I don’t know how to attach a link, but it came up on msn.com, which news articles change each time I click on it.  But if you go on msn.com and search Carnival, and scroll down a little, the article is there, and it does reference the omelets on Lido. Whether the article is correct is another story.  

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Reference?

Lido and dining room both affected apparently.

“Carnival has changed that and now will serve a limited selection of omelettes in Lido and in the main dining room. Carnival Brand Ambassador John Heald addressed the matter on his Facebook page in response to passenger complaints.    

"Well, hopefully, you will still be able to enjoy the ham and cheese omelette, which is still available along with a vegetarian. and a plain omelette, a cheese omelette and an egg white omelette as well. Of course, there are so many other great choices for you to enjoy. Thank you so much, breakfast is a wonderful meal and I hope you’re enjoying it on board very soon," he posted.”

https://www.thestreet.com/travel/carnival-cruise-line-takes-away-a-popular-dining-choice

Edited by JT1962

1 hour ago, JT1962 said:

Lido and dining room both affected apparently.

“Carnival has changed that and now will serve a limited selection of omelettes in Lido and in the main dining room. Carnival Brand Ambassador John Heald addressed the matter on his Facebook page in response to passenger complaints.    

"Well, hopefully, you will still be able to enjoy the ham and cheese omelette, which is still available along with a vegetarian. and a plain omelette, a cheese omelette and an egg white omelette as well. Of course, there are so many other great choices for you to enjoy. Thank you so much, breakfast is a wonderful meal and I hope you’re enjoying it on board very soon," he posted.”

https://www.thestreet.com/travel/carnival-cruise-line-takes-away-a-popular-dining-choice

Thanks

3 hours ago, Priscilla Cat said:

I saw the same article he/she is referencing. I don’t know how to attach a link, but it came up on msn.com, which news articles change each time I click on it.  But if you go on msn.com and search Carnival, and scroll down a little, the article is there, and it does reference the omelets on Lido. Whether the article is correct is another story.  

Thanks

9 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

I can imagine that adding 3 different items really slows down the process……not.  Fairly disappointing.

It's not the adding 3 different items that slows the process down, it's the prep of all of the items and having them available- it takes time to prep everything (which means someone has to do it) and it costs money to have all of the different items available. I can definitely see a bean counter saying "we can save 2 staff hours a day by limiting the number of options, that's 730 staff hours per year, per ship" etc. If I want an omelet going forward it is likely to be a veggie omelet with an order of ham and sausage on the side.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

It's not the adding 3 different items that slows the process down, it's the prep of all of the items and having them available- it takes time to prep everything (which means someone has to do it) and it costs money to have all of the different items available. I can definitely see a bean counter saying "we can save 2 staff hours a day by limiting the number of options, that's 730 staff hours per year, per ship" etc. If I want an omelet going forward it is likely to be a veggie omelet with an order of ham and sausage on the side.

I cannot argue your logic.  Whatever the rationale, it sucks.  Heading towards grad a bag breakfast, sit down shut up, eat, clean your mess and leave.  Hope they go ballistic to JH on this.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I cannot argue your logic.  Whatever the rationale, it sucks.  Heading towards grad a bag breakfast, sit down shut up, eat, clean your mess and leave.  Hope they go ballistic to JH on this.

Not necessarily my logic, but it is the logic used by many bean counters (hey, let's put one less tomato in the salad and we can save thousands) and I can see this being argued out this way to the beards. I glanced at his placebook page and he has mentioned omelets several times. We have no idea how things are going to evolve going forward and I hope that your prognostication is incorrect. 

Just now, sparks1093 said:

Not necessarily my logic, but it is the logic used by many bean counters (hey, let's put one less tomato in the salad and we can save thousands) and I can see this being argued out this way to the beards. I glanced at his placebook page and he has mentioned omelets several times. We have no idea how things are going to evolve going forward and I hope that your prognostication is incorrect. 

Did not mean YOUR logic, but the logic you stated.  It is the accumulation of small crappy ideas that do much more hard to the brand then a bigger one that has logic and rationale behind it.  I will wait for the dust to settle, see if further clarity is mentioned, then express my thoughts to some mgt friends.   

This is a Jerry Cahill type of decision.  

• Like 2

On 12/6/2023 at 1:48 PM, RoperDK said:

This is an important and telling post.  Us old timers remember what cruising was before the many rounds of cuts that make us feel that the Carnival product has degraded.  The newer cruisers must be happy with what is offered or they wouldn't continue to sail with Carnival.  Cruise pricing is going up and the ships are sailing at full capacity.  Why should Carnival change what they are doing at this point? 

It’s partly new cruisers with the different attitudes than old ones but it’s also partly attitude in general. 

To me, not every change is a cut. Back in the day you ate in the dining room 3x per day and you liked it. Buffets were possibly cold sandwiches at lunch on sea day, and the midnight affair. That’s it.

The all day buffets with huge variety on every Carnival and RCI cruise I have taken in the past 6 years (when my new family started cruising and after a break of 15 years for me), have alone provided an overall much better food experience than my classic cruises. Yes I had amazing meals on Disney and Celebrity and even Big Red Boat, but the Lido and Windjammer type of quick options didn’t exist in their current form at all. And Guy’s Burger and Blue Iguana are tasty and consistent extensions of that, modern innovations for cruise ships.

So I see massive enhancement where others cannot tolerate a 7 night vacation without a fully customized omelette. Just how the brain waves flow across a different set of neurons, ya know?

Like, okay then. I eat omelettes. I also eat 80 bajillion non-omelettes. I certainly don’t eat one every 7 days like clockwork or feel unable to travel based on omelette availability or in this case omelette flexibility because the omelettes are actually still available. (Yes I know it’s not just omelettes but the other “thousand” cuts are all just omelettes to me, follow?)

It’s just always a good time here on the boards, taking time to study the state of the human condition through the need to repeat prior vacations with precisely identical details. Fascinating phenomenon.

I have been visiting Disney World since 1977 and it along with Orlando in general is different every time. Something closes or opens or it’s warmer or colder or more or less crowded. I even lived down that way for 16 years and from month to month it was never the same. And it was always too expensive and just keeps getting more too expensive!!  I live near Chicago and love this city, warts and all, and it changes all the time just like everything else.

Anyway, let’s continue the omelette discussion. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 12/6/2023 at 3:35 PM, bg2310 said:

Thank you very the very back-handed, condescending compliment. By cruise police, I am merely making an observation that people appear to be policing my opinions on my cruise experience all because I didn't cruise "back in your days".

Of course I would expect critiques on Cruise Critic, the name did not fly over my head. But again, are we really going to have this conversation when the topic of the thread and my point specifically was about omelete ingredients, and not Carnival cuts more generally?

I'm not over here saying people cannot be disappointed about this specifically, as many of you seem to be insinuating. I am merely pointing out how extra it is for a select few who are making a big fuss about it. 

I agree with you!

Edited by KmomChicago
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, FlaviaOfTheMonth said:

We have only sailed Carnival twice, most recently a month or so ago. Tried sea day brunch with our large gang and it was disappointing. The legendary 12-hour french toast was very oily and was not any better than the stuff at the Lido. Thick, yes, but not tasty. It was also tough to get coffee refills or any alternative to milk for the coffee. We won't do it again but considering the dirt cheap pricing on this cruise we were not expecting much.

We are often happier with the meals in the cruise buffets than in the dining rooms. Then again, it kind of aligns with our attitude in the moment. If we are busy and playing trivia and don't want to miss anything, a fast nummy grab is just the thing. If we are getting tired by dinnertime and ready to slow down, the full wait service can be nice and we always find something we like. 

My favorite meal on recent cruises, if we don't have to get off the ship early due to travel, has been that last breakfast in the dining room. On a sailing last year I had the saddest looking avocado toast on very thin wheat bread, and you could tell, they had to slice open the last avocado for me and cut off the brown spots, and I think they must have a bread slicer because my slices were each about half the normal width!  

But by this point it is about staying on board until the last dying second, and to me, it was divine, and I made proper use of every crumb of that toast!

8 minutes ago, mz-s said:

If they do pre-made frozen omelettes like the "brilliant" new deli menu they can keep it. The new deli sandwiches taste like dog food and the last time I ordered one it was still frozen.

When was the last thing you liked?

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, mz-s said:

If they do pre-made frozen omelettes like the "brilliant" new deli menu they can keep it. The new deli sandwiches taste like dog food and the last time I ordered one it was still frozen.

i agree. the old deli sandwich had a ton of meat and was very filling. the new deli sucks with only like 2-3 slices of meat on very dry bread

• Like 4