ANYONE WILLING TO SWAP ROOMS/FREE UPGRADE????

greymoon95

Hi all,

ANYONE WILLING TO SWAP ROOMS/FREE UPGRADE????

I booked 4 rooms on the MSC MERAVIGLIA for the December 30, 2023 - January 6, 2024 itinerary. We originally had standard staterooms that are connected for myself, my husband and our two children (we additionally had two other standard staterooms for my in-laws and husband's aunt, but that's not of too much consequence here). When we booked, there were no Yacht Club or Aurea Experience staterooms available. We worked very closely with the booking agent who was terrific and she was able to make it work for us to get these two rooms together. A few days later I got an email inviting me to apply for the plusgrade upgrade thing and I figured we were being offered the experience without the room change, or that the rooms would be comparable and certainly connecting. I was accepted and while this seemed great at first it's actually turning into an absolute nightmare. We currently have two UNCONNECTED Yacht Club staterooms as well as the original 2 standard Fantastica staterooms (not connecting either). We've been told there's nothing we can do since there is no availability anywhere. Has anyone ever tried to swap with someone prior to a cruise like on a forum here like this? And/or would anybody who's sailing on this itinerary be open to swapping rooms even to get the Yacht Club benefits at no cost to you (we'll cover that)? Just need ANY two staterooms OR alternatively any 2 room or duplex suite that would accommodate the four of us (our children are 2 and 7). It's really at this point a safety thing since we can't have our children in a non-connecting separate room from us at those ages. 

Please feel free to reach out here or if there's another place I could post this, I'm all ears! Desperate to fix this since I have no idea how we will if we can't get this taken care of and we'll sooner just end up missing the cruise and losing all the money!!!! I'm devastated over this. Not only is this a New Year's Cruise with all 7 of us, but it's also to celebrate our little one's 3rd birthday on January 5th. Anyone??? Thank you.

Jenn

Oh wow, here's the issue " A few days later I got an email inviting me to apply for the plusgrade upgrade thing and I figured we were being offered the experience without the room change, or that the rooms would be comparable and certainly connecting.".... the plusgrade very clearly states that if your bid is accepted they can move you to any cabin in that new category and you cannot change once assigned.  

Here's an additional issue, the other members of the party outside of Yacht Club will NOT be able to join you in yacht club. The only way you can dine together will be in the Main Dining Room but might not be possible if the ship is full.

Here's some suggestions:

1)  Keep both Yacht Club Rooms and have your kids (which must have been booked with one adult and one child) and have your kids sleep in the same room at night. (Sorry, no "adult" time)  Use the other room for storage, changing, quiet time, etc. 

2)  Keep both Yacht Club Rooms and don't use the 2nd room (crazy, but option) since your kids are little.  

3)  look on a very well known social media site (I don't think that we can mention Mark Zuckerberg's little site) or on the Roll Calls for the sailing.  There will CERTAINLY be a "group" for this sailing.  Chat amongst the group there.  However you'd have to find someone who had connecting cabins (iffy) who is willing to take this gamble, because I'm not sure even your travel agent could get this to work smoothly and I, as a traveler, would be very skeptical about such an offer at it could easily backfire with MSC.

let us know how you make out!

(following up) I just did a mock booking and several websites are showing the sailing as being full.

In that case I'd revert back to sharing the YC cabin w/ the kids (unless it's an inside cabin which won't accommodate)

OP, read the MSC "Terms and Conditions" and "Conditions of Carriage" on the MSC website.

You can not trade rooms.

And before anyone suggests that you meet up on board with someone willing to swap ("just go to "Guest Services" and ask for new room keys"), this also is no permitted on board MSC.

Your only choice is to either cancel (no refund on cabin fares) or use the Yacht Club cabins as others have suggested.

Welcome to CC. 

Do what Morgs said, one adult and child in each yc room.  You didn't mention what category you won as yc insides max out at two.  Good news for you the beds separate.

The larger issue is the keycards.  MSC does not do that from our experience and many reports here.  I'm sure we'll get someone reporting they've done it.  You will get a card and band which open doors.

Also, how is someone going to check in at the yc counter with name x while reservation has your name?

• Thanks 1

I don't know if the OP is still reading, but here comes some unsolicited advice/opinion from a old (ahem - experienced) cruiser.

OP, unfortunately, you have just had the opportunity to gain wisdom about cruising.

At this point, there is a good sum of money invested in this cruise.  If you cancel, all that money is lost unless you purchased travel insurance that includes "cancel for any reason" coverage.

Go on the cruise and be willing to adapt to the restrictions you have placed on yourself by upgrading to the Yacht Club.

This means if you wish to eat with your family members in the other cabins, you probably will be eating in the buffet or a specialty restaurant (additional charge).

And take what you have learned about this time and either make sure that you read and understand all the information on a cruise's lines website (especially the ticket contract, Terms and Conditions  or whatever name the cruise line uses for that information).

Always research and read the small print included with an offers.

Each cruise line is different. Never assume what one cruise lines does is the same as another cruise line.

Matter of fact, never assume anything.

You may want to find and use an experienced travel agent that knows the requirements on the different cruise lines.

And learn from the posts on Cruise Critic across the various cruise lines from various posters complaining that they decided to upgrade after booking and are now unhappy about what the change did to their original booking. 

Find an itinerary you like at a price you like and book it. Don't go chasing price drops  or upgrades. That is how problems develop.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Homosassa said:

I don't know if the OP is still reading, but here comes some unsolicited advice/opinion from a old (ahem - experienced) cruiser.

OP, unfortunately, you have just had the opportunity to gain wisdom about cruising.

At this point, there is a good sum of money invested in this cruise.  If you cancel, all that money is lost unless you purchased travel insurance that includes "cancel for any reason" coverage.

Go on the cruise and be willing to adapt to the restrictions you have placed on yourself by upgrading to the Yacht Club.

This means if you wish to eat with your family members in the other cabins, you probably will be eating in the buffet or a specialty restaurant (additional charge).

And take what you have learned about this time and either make sure that you read and understand all the information on a cruise's lines website (especially the ticket contract, Terms and Conditions  or whatever name the cruise line uses for that information).

Always research and read the small print included with an offers.

Each cruise line is different. Never assume what one cruise lines does is the same as another cruise line.

Matter of fact, never assume anything.

You may want to find and use an experienced travel agent that knows the requirements on the different cruise lines.

And learn from the posts on Cruise Critic across the various cruise lines from various posters complaining that they decided to upgrade after booking and are now unhappy about what the change did to their original booking. 

Find an itinerary you like at a price you like and book it. Don't go chasing price drops  or upgrades. That is how problems develop.

I'm sure the OP appreciates your "I told you so". Great advice to read the small print Captain Obvious.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks for this response! I really didn't want to go crazy with my response - I'm sure folks are trying to be helpful but we aren't first-time cruisers - we're just really busy (my husband and I have our own business TOGETHER) and worn out (we also share these two children of ours -- major time and energy suck, these kids are! 😂) and trying to do too many things at the same time. Also I'm an attorney so I don't take "small print" non-seriously. I just am looking for help to right this!

No solution found yet, frankly. Think we're just gonna ride it out. Have found some good folks responding on roll call groups on FB who have adjacent rooms willing to help out and be flexible. 

One (and only one!) question: anyone have any real idea of the reality of flexibility on ability to purchase YC day passes for others traveling with us? I think we can just get it together with hopefully some accommodations that allow for this. I've seen varying commentary from folks from "no WAY! never ever allowed!" to "totally doable!" to "depends on your butler and how you handle it." 

I'm really just trying to not upset the other three adults on this cruise with us (one of the rooms is a partial gift from us -- feels terrible to be in this situation). 

Thank you! Super appreciated.

Okay so I "lied"- one more question! Anyone have great ideas/mechanisms to recommend for how to divide up a stateroom with two kiddos and two adults? And/or what to request from concierge? Bedding wise. We have a kids who are about to turn 8 and 3 (the 2-year-old turning 3 ON the cruise, as I mentioned but y'all are busy, I don't expect you to scroll back up and read my whole history here!). There was some mention of "bunk beds" which I think is a bad idea on a "hotel" moving ON WATER frankly, but also I don't think exists. Has anyone done this? Turn the "couch" into a "cot" sleeping area for the 7 year old and then also get a pack-and-play/crib requested? Is there enough space? Am I delusional to think this is doable? I just don't know what other options there are besides my telling my husband "good luck!" and leaving him with both of the kids to sit in darkness and allowing myself to sleep quietly and comfortably in my very own stateroom. 😂😂😂😂😂😂

I'm sure any moms out there will say "DO THAT THING!" But that none of us actually could bring ourselves to do it. But I'll appreciate the mommy power in solidarity! 

14 minutes ago, greymoon95 said:

I'm really just trying to not upset the other three adults on this cruise with us (one of the rooms is a partial gift from us -- feels terrible to be in this situation). 

The safer solution instead of hoping for day passes is to make a reservation in a specialty restaurant. The concierge can help with the reservation for more people than are staying in the Yacht Club staterooms with you. 

With a full Yacht Club ("...there is no availability anywhere"), trying to add anyone else into the enclave will be tough. In a perfect world, there would be no day passes, no interlopers, no "guests of the crew/family members of VIPs", etc. and the Yacht Club would only be for Yacht Club guests. 

2 minutes ago, greymoon95 said:

Anyone have great ideas/mechanisms to recommend for how to divide up a stateroom with two kiddos and two adults? And/or what to request from concierge? Bedding wise.

If you have 2 interior staterooms, the only bedding option is the standard beds. They can be separated or combined into 1 bed....

MSCYac140-23573-1678546285.webp

9 minutes ago, greymoon95 said:

There was some mention of "bunk beds" which I think is a bad idea on a "hotel" moving ON WATER frankly, but also I don't think exists.

There are many bed types on MSC that drop from the ceiling, the wall, of even extend up from the sofa to accommodate sleeping higher than the usual sofa bed but your interior staterooms do not have any of those. 

One option is to bring an inflatable twin mattress and put it on the floor for the 8 year-old and have the 2-3 year-old sleep in the bed with the parents. You will have the other stateroom to hang out in during the day. 

Thank you so much! Super helpful! Any recs on specific speciality restaurants onboard that are terrific? Or ones to avoid? MSC doesn’t allow any actual pre-boarding bookings for reservations, right? 

And thank you on the room reccos- we have two Balcony Suites, which ought to provide for more space, but still honestly makes me so nervous. But EXCELLENT rec on the inflatable! Wow! Never thought of that! Largely cuz we’ve cruised out of Florida and also without kids but I always thought about how much stuff to get into a suitcase on top of into a stateroom! 🤣 genius! 

anyone have any good experiences with magnetic curtains across? One time when we went to Hawaii, we had a lovely suite and we were able to put our oldest’s crib in one of the bathrooms and turn off the lights for him. It was the best vacation I’d had since he was born. We tell him now about the “vacation he slept in the bathroom,” and he thinks it’s hilarious. 

I’m like “I do too, cuz it’s funny, but wait til you have your own kids and you’ll see how genius it really was.” 🤣🤣🤣

6 hours ago, greymoon95 said:

we have two Balcony Suites, which ought to provide for more space, but still honestly makes me so nervous.

In that case, put the kids on the sofa bed. The stateroom can sleep up to 4 people. This whole time, I thought that you had 2 interior staterooms in the Yacht Club.

I don't spend a ton of time on fb, but when I do and see the posts on MSC my eyes spin on amount of mis-information and one offs.

Here there are very knowledgeable people about the product.  We do tend to argue at times though.

We've sailed Mera 4 times all in YC.  Best deal for specialty is Hola's at $17 pp.  Don't know if kid discount.  Tons of food.  Make advanced reservations.  Open lunch and dinner.  Butcher's Cut meal also great but more expensive.

my 15yo and 13yo boys shared the sofa bed (neither wanted to use the bed that drops from the ceiling) and found it plenty comfortable and this is coming from my 15 yo soccer player who always finds a reason to be sore. we used an inflatable for my daughter. just be sure to test the inflatable before you leave. We purchased a new one and it ended up having a slow leak.

7 hours ago, dexddd said:

We've sailed Mera 4 times all in YC.  Best deal for specialty is Hola's at $17 pp.  Don't know if kid discount.  Tons of food.  Make advanced reservations.  Open lunch and dinner.  Butcher's Cut meal also great but more expensive.

Pretty sure that I saw a kids menu.  Also, can be ordered a la carte.  I spent under $12 and was satisfied. That included 2 tacos, guaC and chips and a tamale.