Does it matter which NYC Airport you fly into?

1 hour ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

I have a Venezia cruise booked for May and I am trying to figure out which of the three airports I should fly into and out of. This will be my first time cruising out of NYC, I honestly do just plan on flying in the morning of. 

It doesn't matter. Check airfare and schedules to see what suits you best.  Ground transportation options and costs are different at each airport and may figure into your final decision. 

• Like 1

What day of the week are you leaving? Traffic can be pretty bad any day, but worse during the week. What's the earliest arrival time you can get? That'll probably be the best option. If the plane is late, what's plan "b"?

Aloha,

John

1 hour ago, jcl410 said:

What day of the week are you leaving? Traffic can be pretty bad any day, but worse during the week. What's the earliest arrival time you can get? That'll probably be the best option. If the plane is late, what's plan "b"?

Aloha,

John

Leaves on a Monday, Earliest options all arrive between 7 am-9 am. 

The Carnival Venezia sails from the Manhattan Cruise Terminal, in midtown Manhattan, and the transportation from all three airports is focused on midtown Manhattan. All else being equal, LaGuardia Airport transportation is typically most convenient and least expensive, followed by Newark Liberty International Airport and John F. Kennedy International Airport, respectively, but all three airports are fine. As to J.F.K., it is a slightly less convenient than the other two airports if traveling by highway (e.g., taxi, Carnival-arranged bus transfer), but just as convenient as the other two airports if using public transportation.

All three are doable LGA is probably the easiest - shortest, least expensive taxi ride direct to MCT, EWR has good public transfer options but very expensive taxi option.  JFK has workable public transfer option.  Decision should probably rely on fares and scheduling options from/to your home airport.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, WhaleTailFlCruiser said:

I honestly do just plan on flying in the morning of. 

We've done both LGA and JFK. LGA is closer, but with the Manhattan traffic, we felt like there was no clear winner between the two. We were stuck in horrible traffic coming from both airports. 

I fly in and out of NYC area airports very frequently for work, They are notorious for cascading, hours long delays and cancelations, even early in the morning. The airspace is too congested and the infrastructure simply can't keep up with the demand, even with the recent renovations. Please consider flying in at least one day prior to your cruise.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, White123 said:

I am flying in 2 days before the cruise.   Flying out the day of  disbarkation.  If I get off the ship about 8:30 is an 11:30 flight doable out of LaGuardia or safer to book 2:00 flight.   Thank you

Safer to book the 2:00 pm flight

..... just answering the question!

Edited by d9704011

1 hour ago, White123 said:

I am flying in 2 days before the cruise.   Flying out the day of  disbarkation.  If I get off the ship about 8:30 is an 11:30 flight doable out of LaGuardia or safer to book 2:00 flight.   Thank you

Getting off the ship at 8:30 is not a sure thing.  11:30 flight is probably doable, but likely to be rushed/stressed.  I would suggest planning on grabbing lunch at LGA and taking it easy.

14 hours ago, Tapi said:

We've done both LGA and JFK. LGA is closer, but with the Manhattan traffic, we felt like there was no clear winner between the two. We were stuck in horrible traffic coming from both airports. 

I fly in and out of NYC area airports very frequently for work, They are notorious for cascading, hours long delays and cancelations, even early in the morning. The airspace is too congested and the infrastructure simply can't keep up with the demand, even with the recent renovations. Please consider flying in at least one day prior to your cruise.

I have thought about flying in a day early. Just haven't decided yet. The last time I was in NYC was in high school on a school trip in which we visited the UN building and such. 

13 hours ago, White123 said:

We live close to the MCT, once we didn’t get off of the ship until 10:45, we were lined up before 7 am. Give yourself an hour to get to the airport, it’s suggested 3 hours early for international. We’ve also gotten home close to 8 am.

6 minutes ago, Nitemare said:

Looks like your question has been answered.

For anyone asking the same question who may be sailing out of New Jersey, the correct answer is EWR.

And if they are sailing out of Brooklyn, the correct answer is NOT EWR

I live 19 miles from the Brooklyn cruise terminal innNJ, google maps says 45 minutes. Everyone I know seems to hate having Brooklyn as a destination, it’s never easy. 

10 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I live 19 miles from the Brooklyn cruise terminal innNJ, google maps says 45 minutes. Everyone I know seems to hate having Brooklyn as a destination, it’s never easy. 

Depending upon just where you live in NJ, and especially the day of week and time of day, that 45 minutes could be a pipe dream.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Depending upon just where you live in NJ, and especially the day of week and time of day, that 45 minutes could be a pipe dream.

10 mile west of Manhattan, and I checked on a Monday around noon, I think 45 minutes is as good as it gets.

5 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

10 mile west of Manhattan, and I checked on a Monday around noon, I think 45 minutes is as good as it gets.

As I'm writing this at 2:07 pm on a Tuesday afternoon, Google Maps shows a drive time of 36 minutes from EWR to the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal.