Specialty Dining

Bill B

10 minutes ago, friendswithdave said:

You can take a chance. Some restaurants are busier than others. I would say Rudi's should almost always be available for a walk-in. Canelleto maybe, Tamarind and Pinnacle less likely. Depends on many factors including night of the week / cruise and how full the ship is.

One should expect the ship to always be full...or so close you can't tell the difference.

On the other hand, a more likely issue is with HIA, the number of meals being served at the specialty restaurants are are covered by HIA is up considerably. Thus potentially less availability.

Hey @BillB just off NS Sun - we had a couple PG reservations we wanted to change last minute, same day - all were accommodated. Coupled with the empty tables we saw each time we were there, I would say chances were good for walk-ins. As @friendswithdavesaid, experience will vary based on cruise, but overall chances are good. Especially if you're flexible w/the time.

Enjoy!!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sciencewonk said:

I've never seen the Pinnacle Grill full except on pop-up nights on Vista-class ships.  The Canelleto seems more full but frequently has an empty table or two, although those could have been waiting for a reservation to arrive.

Pinnacle Grill was completely sold out on the Koningsdam and Rotterdam for lunch about 36 hours into my cruises. I would book as soon as you are on the ship if you desire lunch, 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, YourWorldWithBill said:

The best day to get in might be the first day!

By the way, sometimes even when they don't look full, they might consider the restaurant full, as it might depend on number of staff.

Excellent point.  On my last cruise I ate at the Pinnacle Grill on the first night and only one other table had passengers eating at it.

Shorter the cruise less chance because infrequent cruisers try to pack as much in as they can.  74 day GSA if we didn't like MDR menu or if we missed Gala designation we could get in with a same day reservation.  Even though the PG looks empty it is the wait staff that determines how many can be booked in an evening.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ottahand7 said:

Even though the PG looks empty it is the wait staff that determines how many can be booked in an evening.

Agreed. The wait staff and galley availability determines whether or not the Pinnacle is 'full' more than the number of occupied tables does. 

If they have ability to handle six more passengers at a given time, that could be one table for six, or a table for two plus a table for four, or three tables for two. In any case, there are six people, and some empty tables, yet the restaurant is 'full'. 

• Like 1

Due to Have It All and the ability to book your specialty restaurants on line, @Bill B many preferred days and times are sold out before you even get on the ship. If you choose to wait until you're on board, you may only have options from 8pm on. If that's what you prefer, you're in luck! If you want to book ahead of time, do so online or as soon as you get on the ship. 

It also depends on what the ports are. If you have a port call where the ship does not leave until 9pm and many people are going to a destination not close, it is much more likely to have openings. For example, if your ship is docked and people are going to see Ho Chi Min City in Vietnam, it is more likely. The first and the last day are  the most likely days to have openings. It is also more likely to have openings at 8pm and later and right when they open. 

Unless you don't want to have funds tied up, I suggest you book what you want well in advance.  Itinerary drives a great deal, for example sea days tend to fill up quickly in Speciality Restaraunts.  This way you can experience the restaurants you want and not have to dine at 8 PM.  No offense to those who prefer to dine at 8.  

You can always cancel prepaid bookings, and you then have refundable credit.  If you are 4 or 5 Star you will get the discount applied (where applicable) and a credit issued.  Again these are refundable credits.  

• Like 1

On 12/12/2023 at 3:53 PM, sciencewonk said:

Excellent point.  On my last cruise I ate at the Pinnacle Grill on the first night and only one other table had passengers eating at it.

First night is seldom booked I have found, in Pinnacle and Tamarind.  Great time to go.

32 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

How about if I'm a late eater and go there around 2:30?

Are you asking about lunch in the Pinnacle on sea days?  I believe the latest lunch reservation was 1 or maybe 1:30.  You can't make lunch reservations until you are on the ship.  Make your reservations as soon as you board.  

If you are talking about dinner, times at 8 or later are usually easier to reserve.  I make my specialty dinner reservations prior to boarding.

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

I don't want to start a new thread so I'll ask this here.  On a 15 day Circle Hawaii cruise does the PG tend to fill up on the many sea days or is it relatively easy to get in.  How about if I'm a late eater and go there around 2:30?

14 minutes ago, 0106 said:

Are you asking about lunch in the Pinnacle on sea days?  I believe the latest lunch reservation was 1 or maybe 1:30.  You can't make lunch reservations until you are on the ship.  Make your reservations as soon as you board.  

If you are talking about dinner, times at 8 or later are usually easier to reserve.  I make my specialty dinner reservations prior to boarding.

Pinnacle Grill is usually only open on sea days for lunch from 12 - 1 PM.

Reservations are normally for 12 noon or 12:30 PM.  I can’t recall if there was a 12:15 time.  I don’t believe they will do a reservation at 1 PM but I am going by memory.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, kazu said:

Pinnacle Grill is usually only open on sea days for lunch from 12 - 1 PM.

Reservations are normally for 12 noon or 12:30 PM.  I can’t recall if there was a 12:15 time.  I don’t believe they will do a reservation at 1 PM but I am going by memory.

Just off NS a couple days ago. Our last PG lunch was 12:45 - the latest according to the person taking our reservation. 

We were scheduled for noon, but changed it when we learned the Cake Me Away event in the Lido started at 1130.