LIVE from the Viking Neptune World Cruise includes FTL and LA

BobCatter

We traveled to all of the major Tahitian islands in 1987. On Bora Bora, I recommend renting a bicycle and riding around the island. You’ll be able to hear the soft crunch-crunch of dead crabs on the roadway as you ride over their shells. Think of the sound as especially melodic Polynesian music.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, BobCatter said:

Question for anyone who has been to Tahiti before:

West Coast or East Coast for views/photos/etc? Any thoughts on which might be more interesting photographically?

Lots of spots on both coasts and also inland. The North Coast and inland valleys are probably my favourites.

• Like 1

It was announced today that Sky is going to be leaving Moorea early (6:30 rather than 11) and we will be overnighting in Papeete after arrival at approximately 8:30pm.   Does anyone have any suggestions on nighttime activities in Tahiti?

TIA

We overnighted in Tahiti as well. Most of the crew got no sleep that night as they were ashore. And they had cabin inspection the next morning. Some of it didn't go well😁 I stayed aboard so I'm no help. There was a bar/restaurant on the water just down from the ship and I could hear loud music whenever I went outside.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

It was announced today that Sky is going to be leaving Moorea early (6:30 rather than 11) and we will be overnighting in Papeete after arrival at approximately 8:30pm.   Does anyone have any suggestions on nighttime activities in Tahiti?

TIA

We also overnighted in Papeete.  We got in around 5 pm after thirteen days crossing the Pacific from Santiago, because we had to miss Easter Island.  Everyone, everyone, from the captain to the passengers, to the crew got off and walked over to that little bar, just to get our feet on the ground.  Lots of music, good food, drinks and just general merry-making! People bought flowers and I bought pearls.  The next day, we took a wonderful optional excursions to gardens with a sacred site (can’t remember the name, someone can help out with this, I’m sure).  No matter what you do, you’ll have fun.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Clay Clayton said:

TIA

Clay - There are a few bars within a couple blocks of the pier. You can also enjoy a pleasant stroll around the waterfront parks, checking out the marina. We stayed onboard on our last overnight, and my previous visits were back in the 70's, so can't remember much. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SantaFe1 said:

We also overnighted in Papeete.  We got in around 5 pm after thirteen days crossing the Pacific from Santiago, because we had to miss Easter Island.  Everyone, everyone, from the captain to the passengers, to the crew got off and walked over to that little bar, just to get our feet on the ground.  Lots of music, good food, drinks and just general merry-making! People bought flowers and I bought pearls.  The next day, we took a wonderful optional excursions to gardens with a sacred site (can’t remember the name, someone can help out with this, I’m sure).  No matter what you do, you’ll have fun.

Sounds like maybe we have booked a similar excursion. Thanks for the advice!

IMG_0099.png

Clay, our pool deck roof is not being opened either. Neptune is our first experience with the opening side windows. I’m not a fan as the effect is like riding in a car with the windows down. Pretty breezy in some locations. They are using them instead of the roof. And the view is blocked by horizontal frames. The “old” floor to ceiling windows provide a better view imho.

Are you having a chair hog problem?

Numerous complaints over here. Often more loungers with stuff on them than loungers with people.

IMG_5955.jpeg

On 1/19/2024 at 6:46 PM, Clay Clayton said:

Presuming y’all have Baklava Day on Neptune, don’t eat much lunch-save all your room for dessert.  OMG, so many delicious (a couple not to my taste but others loved) choices!

IMG_0087.jpeg

IMG_0084.jpeg

IMG_0085.jpeg

IMG_0086.jpeg

Would have loved to have Baklava on recent Star voyage. On my 1st V cruise, Greek Odyssey, V did a super fabulous authentic Greek buffet in WC.  Included 3 types of Baklava, in addition to so many fine food preparations.  Greek cheeses were phenomenal!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jim Avery said:

Clay, our pool deck roof is not being opened either. Neptune is our first experience with the opening side windows. I’m not a fan as the effect is like riding in a car with the windows down. Pretty breezy in some locations. They are using them instead of the roof. And the view is blocked by horizontal frames. The “old” floor to ceiling windows provide a better view imho.

Are you having a chair hog problem?

Numerous complaints over here. Often more loungers with stuff on them than loungers with people.

IMG_5955.jpeg

Doubtful given it’s too hot to be inside.  I’ve only seen four or five people using the space.  Sad. 

• Like 2

I’m really flummoxed by this.  Why aren’t the captains allowing the roof to be open?   Last year in the Med., we had Captain Fredrick also on the Sky like this WC.  It was so hot, and he only allowed a few feet of open roof.  On our WC captains Lars and Olaf always had the roof open when reasonable.  On our Alaska cruise last summer, it really wasn’t an issue.  

Edited by SantaFe1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FetaCheese said:

Would have loved to have Baklava on recent Star voyage. On my 1st V cruise, Greek Odyssey, V did a super fabulous authentic Greek buffet in WC.  Included 3 types of Baklava, in addition to so many fine food preparations.  Greek cheeses were phenomenal!

You were lucky. On our last Viking cruise (Norway and Iceland), we suffered through what had to be the worst moussaka ever made. Oh it was bad.  😬

Our worst was the bouillabaisse last year in the Mediterranean.  It was touted!  But  It was a yellow broth with one shrimp in it. We got up and went to the WC for dinner.  I make this at home!!!  This was dreadful!

On 1/20/2024 at 3:28 AM, Clay Clayton said:

TIA

If they still are around, visit the food trucks just as you exit the ship and then head to one of the nearby bars. There is a name for the food truck which is escaping me right now but it was a fun way to spend an evening plus try some local foods.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cnd crsr said:

If they still are around, visit the food trucks just as you exit the ship and then head to one of the nearby bars. There is a name for the food truck which is escaping me right now but it was a fun way to spend an evening plus try some local foods.

Rulottes 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Bridge tour today.  Very interesting, especially as I am a former mariner.  Also made me want to go throw rocks since Neptune's vast arrays of instrumentation and controls, all with redundancy on top of redundancy is so far ahead of what some of my rust buckets were equipped with.  Today's officers are so spoiled.  The officer I was chatting with said they don't even have to get celestial navigation training.  All electronic now.  I was happy to recognize one cabinet full of gear....  The weather fax machines.  Yes, fax machines.  According to the officer it is required equipment.  

IMG_5958.jpeg

IMG_5960.jpeg

IMG_5965.jpeg

IMG_5964.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Bridge tour today.  Very interesting, especially as I am a former mariner.  Also made me want to go throw rocks since Neptune's vast arrays of instrumentation and controls, all with redundancy on top of redundancy is so far ahead of what some of my rust buckets were equipped with.  Today's officers are so spoiled.  The officer I was chatting with said they don't even have to get celestial navigation training.  All electronic now.  I was happy to recognize one cabinet full of gear....  The weather fax machines.  Yes, fax machines.  According to the officer it is required equipment.  

The lack of requirement for celestial nav training is surprising - as recently as 2019, I used to watch the bridge crew on HAL taking a noon sight each day.

The electronics are indeed extraordinary, but I did really like the see-through decking on each bridge wing used when docking - that was still basically retro! 🍺🥌

• Like 3