LIVE from the Viking Neptune World Cruise includes FTL and LA

BobCatter

12 hours ago, Hobson1754 said:

How the rest of the cruise now Jim - in particular the standard of food in restaurants & other glitches? 

So far nothing special.  By that I mean one sea day pretty much runs into the next.  Were more stops originally planned in Hawaii as well as the South Pacific.  No real reasons given for changes (many of which changed prior to embarkation in LA) nor any compensatory stops or paper.  Food is better since I and others complained, especially about the very watery soups.  Soups much better.  Plenty of the usual daily activities  and lots of speculation as to future tracks around Africa.  That will of course be shared when it happens.  🥃

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

So far nothing special.  By that I mean one sea day pretty much runs into the next.  Were more stops originally planned in Hawaii as well as the South Pacific.  No real reasons given for changes (many of which changed prior to embarkation in LA) nor any compensatory stops or paper.  Food is better since I and others complained, especially about the very watery soups.  Soups much better.  Plenty of the usual daily activities  and lots of speculation as to future tracks around Africa.  That will of course be shared when it happens.  🥃

Oh dear - sorry about the many changes, hopefully it’s a little more positive with improved food. I’d be less than happy however if I’d spent all that money on a world cruise.

• Like 1

And some are not.  We knew of most of the changes before LA departure.  But then three stops in the Hawaiian Islands went to a day and a half in Honolulu.  As one guest said "NYC on the sand".  And Sky went to Kauai before us but no real reason why we did not.  The real grousing should happen when Viking finally come clean with what we will be doing, or not doing, around Africa. Three US service people killed today in Jordan is really escalating things.  Sadly, we still hear fellow pax discussing what they have planned for Israel.  I guess there is always hope.....

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Sadly, we still hear fellow pax discussing what they have planned for Israel.  I guess there is always hope.....

Viking has already made changes to their Mediterranean Cities of Antiquity and Holy Land cruise. It now stops in Sicily, Malta, and Rhodes instead. Israel will be a no go for years. https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/europe/cities-antiquity/index.html

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Viking has already made changes to their Mediterranean Cities of Antiquity and Holy Land cruise. It now stops in Sicily, Malta, and Rhodes instead. Israel will be a no go for years. https://www.vikingcruises.com/oceans/cruise-destinations/europe/cities-antiquity/index.html

4 minutes ago, OneSixtyToOne said:

Yes, of course I know that.  Simply discussing what I overheard fellow passengers hoping for.  If they don't keep up with the latest info not much I can do about it.

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

But then three stops in the Hawaiian Islands went to a day and a half in Honolulu.  As one guest said "NYC on the sand".  And Sky went to Kauai before us but no real reason why we did not.  

Something is definitely going on with Hawaii this year.  We leave in two weeks for the Hawaii cruise.  Originally, we were supposed to go to Hilo, Honolulu, Kauai and Maui.  At first we thought we might have to miss Maui, but that is the only unchanged port.  About six months ago, we were told that we couldn’t dock in Hilo, so would have two days in Honolulu.  Then last week we were told they couldn’t find enough shore ex in Kauai, so we would skip it and go to Hilo.  I’m scratching my head.  So now we are Honolulu for two days, Hilo, and last Maui.  

• Like 1

Was on Star, Hawaiian Islands Sojourn 28 December 2023.  All 4 Hawaii ports on itin. were visited.

1st was  Kuauii.  Took included tour to a waterfall, then to a plantation/farm.  Took the train ride around the farm, but had to pay train tickets ourselves.  IMO, V should have included train tix.  Our coach guide was unprofessional, more suited for a grade school field trip. Very silly narrations, no real information given.  Highlight was the farm train ride.

Would not recommend Maui included tour.  Very long coach ride to/from Whalers Village for upscale shopping stop along ocean.

Apart from that, it was so truly sad to see in person during drive, the perimeter of Lahaina burn zone.  All those shells of peoples home lost.  

I just double checked to make sure I didn't forget something. I was on Nov 10 to Dec 12 Hawaii and French Polynesia. We did Hilo, Maui, Honolulu, and Kauai. After we left Kauai, on the way to Bora Bora, we had to turn around and go back to Honolulu the next morning for a medical emergency. Apparently a Coast Guard helicopter met us to evaluate the passenger. I was in cooking class so didn't notice. We still made it to Bora Bora on time and they added a surprise port, Raiatea. First time Viking had been there and last minute so no ship excursions. It's funny, on my email to friends while in Honolulu I said....it's a city. A big city. And Waikiki is a beach. A big beach. So I wonder why you all are having Hawaii changed.

4 hours ago, SantaFe1 said:

Something is definitely going on with Hawaii this year.  We leave in two weeks for the Hawaii cruise.  Originally, we were supposed to go to Hilo, Honolulu, Kauai and Maui.  At first we thought we might have to miss Maui, but that is the only unchanged port.  About six months ago, we were told that we couldn’t dock in Hilo, so would have two days in Honolulu.  Then last week we were told they couldn’t find enough shore ex in Kauai, so we would skip it and go to Hilo.  I’m scratching my head.  So now we are Honolulu for two days, Hilo, and last Maui.  

Agree, it's puzzling. We were on the Dec 12th Hawaii Sojourn, and while we made all 4 ports, the dearth of quality ShoreEx was very noticeable - especially as we had been to the same ports on multiple other occasions (albeit with other lines).

I quite understand the Maui problem described by @FetaCheese - we took the same tour and it was not impressive, but the island infrastructure is still reeling as one might expect. A number of pax were unhappy that Viking had no excursion to the Arizona Memorial / Missouri - just to the visitor centre. Only one helicopter offering, on Kauai - Hilo is rife with companies offering them, but nothing offered.

It will be interesting to see how the Hawaiian stops evolve. "Condensing" the stops on the Sojourn cruise will not be well received over time. 🍺🥌

• Like 1

Not sure if this is any contribution on the Hawaii thing, but we've been planning a 2-week 50th anniversary trip to Hawaii for the past year and I've been doing a lot of research and reading in preparation.  Similar to other ports around the world, there is a great deal of concern in the state about the negative environmental impact of excessive cruise ship arrivals and there are some in the state that would like to end them completely.  Also, dock space (with the exception of Honolulu) is limited and is needed to receive shipments of goods (virtually everything there from toilet paper to building supplies has to be shipped in).  It wouldn't surprise me if the ports are, on their own, beginning to limit docking privileges for cruise ships.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Agree, it's puzzling. We were on the Dec 12th Hawaii Sojourn, and while we made all 4 ports, the dearth of quality ShoreEx was very noticeable - especially as we had been to the same ports on multiple other occasions (albeit with other lines).

I quite understand the Maui problem described by @FetaCheese - we took the same tour and it was not impressive, but the island infrastructure is still reeling as one might expect. A number of pax were unhappy that Viking had no excursion to the Arizona Memorial / Missouri - just to the visitor centre. Only one helicopter offering, on Kauai - Hilo is rife with companies offering them, but nothing offered.

It will be interesting to see how the Hawaiian stops evolve. "Condensing" the stops on the Sojourn cruise will not be well received over time. 🍺🥌

We are in the sky and while at the visitor center we had 2 hrs which was plenty of time to do the Arizona and see other exhibits. 

4 hours ago, Penspack said:

We are in the sky and while at the visitor center we had 2 hrs which was plenty of time to do the Arizona and see other exhibits. 

Glad it worked out for you. Below is the shore ex for our trip - no shuttle to the Memorial available on that one. 🍺🥌

USHNL09 Honolulu Highlights & Pearl Harbor
Date: December 19, 2023 08:30 AM Sold Out, 09:00 AM Limited Availability, 09:30 AM Limited Availability, 10:15 AM Sold Out, 10:30 AM Sold Out, 10:45 AM Available, 11:15 AM Available

Panoramic sights and delve into World War II history -- Meet your guide at the pier and embark on a scenic drive through Honolulu’s Downtown area and Chinatown district. Witness the magnificent City Hall and the Iolani Palace, the only royal palace on American soil, and pass by Kawaiahao Church, the Hawaii State Capitol, the governor’s mansion and the homes of early missionaries. After your drive, you will stop at Pearl Harbor, where you will learn about the fateful attack that took almost 2,500 lives. At the Visitor Center, stroll the exhibits that document the events before the surprise attack and its
aftermath, including displays of personal memorabilia, dramatic photographs and artifacts.

In the past, tour groups were able to reserve tickets to go out to the Arizona Memorial.  This left very few tickets for people showing up on their own.  That isn't the case any more; everyone needs to prepurchase a ticket.  Tickets can be purchased online, for a $1 fee per ticket, or you can try your luck in the standby line.  They're available 24 hours, starting at 3pm HST, or 8 weeks in advance.  There are no private tours of the memorial.  The best Viking can do is get you there.  The museum is very good, but you really want to go to the memorial.

Edited by Lilyskittymom
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

Glad it worked out for you. Below is the shore ex for our trip - no shuttle to the Memorial available on that one. 🍺🥌

USHNL09 Honolulu Highlights & Pearl Harbor
Date: December 19, 2023 08:30 AM Sold Out, 09:00 AM Limited Availability, 09:30 AM Limited Availability, 10:15 AM Sold Out, 10:30 AM Sold Out, 10:45 AM Available, 11:15 AM Available

Panoramic sights and delve into World War II history -- Meet your guide at the pier and embark on a scenic drive through Honolulu’s Downtown area and Chinatown district. Witness the magnificent City Hall and the Iolani Palace, the only royal palace on American soil, and pass by Kawaiahao Church, the Hawaii State Capitol, the governor’s mansion and the homes of early missionaries. After your drive, you will stop at Pearl Harbor, where you will learn about the fateful attack that took almost 2,500 lives. At the Visitor Center, stroll the exhibits that document the events before the surprise attack and its
aftermath, including displays of personal memorabilia, dramatic photographs and artifacts.

This was the description of our excursion as well.

16 minutes ago, Lilyskittymom said:

In the past, tour groups were able to reserve tickets to go out to the Arizona Memorial.  This left very few tickets for people showing up on their own.  That isn't the case any more; everyone needs to prepurchase a ticket.  Tickets can be purchased online, for a $1 fee per ticket, or you can try your luck in the standby line.  They're available 24 hours, starting at 3pm HST, or 8 weeks in advance.  There are no private tours of the memorial.  The best Viking can do is get you there.  The museum is very good, but you really want to go to the memorial.

You can prepurchase. We did not. We got there, got in standby line, then got on shuttle to Arizona. It is run very efficiently.

• Thanks 1

Having been to Hawaii 25 times, on my own, no cruise ships, no excursions, no tourist ticky-tack, I’ve never understood why people feel Viking-offered excursions are necessary to see and enjoy the state. They are not. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, SJD117 said:

Having been to Hawaii 25 times, on my own, no cruise ships, no excursions, no tourist ticky-tack, I’ve never understood why people feel Viking-offered excursions are necessary to see and enjoy the state. They are not. 

100 percent agree!   Even if someone hadn't been there much or at all.

Although perhaps some feel "safe", much like the reason so many use Viking Air (I have heard reports of 70% or so coming in the day of boarding on Viking Air).

I have been fortunate to travel a lot and thus feel somewhat travel savvy but have to remember that many seniors are taking their first big adventure out of their home state.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Penspack said:

This was the description of our excursion as well.

You can prepurchase. We did not. We got there, got in standby line, then got on shuttle to Arizona. It is run very efficiently.

And the earlier you go, the better.  We've been travelling to Hawaii for 25+ years and generally go early and hit the standby line.  My comment was mostly to address the comment that Viking offered no tour at the Arizona Memorial, just a drop off at the Visitor's center.  That's exactly how it works there for everyone.  You can easily spend the entire day at the National Valor in the Pacific National Monument, which includes the USS Arizona and USS Missouri.

• Like 1

Hi from our 16th sea day since LA with 5 port days.  Dawned gray and gloomy with a bit of a bump.  Weather has not been the best so far.  Hoping for some nice days in NZ.  Yesterday was the brunch setup on the pool deck.  Don't have any pix because it was such a crush.  So crowded we gave up and ate in the world cafe.  I have to say it feels much more crowded on this WC than either of our previous ones.  Feels like a couple of hundred extras.  I know that's not possible, just feels that way at times,  Food has picked up a notch or two, especially the soups.  The speculation about around Africa continues.  I wish we could get some communications from Viking.   Will hopefully have some nice pix to share tomorrow.🍸

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jim Avery said:

Hi from our 16th sea day since LA with 5 port days.  Dawned gray and gloomy with a bit of a bump.  Weather has not been the best so far.  Hoping for some nice days in NZ.  Yesterday was the brunch setup on the pool deck.  Don't have any pix because it was such a crush.  So crowded we gave up and ate in the world cafe.  I have to say it feels much more crowded on this WC than either of our previous ones.  Feels like a couple of hundred extras.  I know that's not possible, just feels that way at times,  Food has picked up a notch or two, especially the soups.  The speculation about around Africa continues.  I wish we could get some communications from Viking.   Will hopefully have some nice pix to share tomorrow.🍸

Jim - Carnival today published revised itineraries around Africa for all affected cruises, including each brand's World Cruise.

Bad show if Viking are going to keep you guessing.

• Like 4

Jim,

I wonder why it feels more crowded.  Do you think the awe and splendor has worn off for you?  Hope Viking's revised itinerary is an exciting one. Have fun....

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, deec said:

Jim,

I wonder why it feels more crowded.  Do you think the awe and splendor has worn off for you?  Hope Viking's revised itinerary is an exciting one. Have fun....

hi Dee,

Possible but more likely the demographics are a bit younger and more active than the Inaugural.  Lots more showing up at the bars same time as us. 🍸  Off to New Zealand.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jim Avery said:

hi Dee,

Possible but more likely the demographics are a bit younger and more active than the Inaugural.  Lots more showing up at the bars same time as us. 🍸  Off to New Zealand.

Time to teach the young whipper snappers about seniority and which stool is yours.😁

• Haha 6

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

Time to teach the young whipper snappers about seniority and which stool is yours.😁

We need you onboard here with us so you can instill some discipline.😳🍹🥃😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 3