Surcharges for drinks in Retreat Lounge

TrueCruiseaholic

14 minutes ago, billc23 said:

I have to agree with beyond tacky. It's not the money - I just don't feel the love after spending over $40K on an upper suite and being nickel and dimed. I plan to speak to the shoreside concierge today about a future sailing and will inquire what the current policy will be on my sailing. 

Please come back and let us know what is said. Like you, we paid over $30K for a PH on Beyond. When is you sailing?

2 hours ago, RichYak said:

I agree with all of this. I have personally been upcharged for glasses of Caymus in Luminae.

I don't expect them to comp an expensive wine or champagne in Luminae but $2 makes no sense especially when the wine was included in the PBP up until a few weeks ago. 

• Like 5

OK, so here is my latest conversation with Laura.  Seems like something is changing for the better, with Sunday's Ascent departure being the first to add more wine ("variety") choices under PBP (the date I sail).  But she still does not confirm that a Retreat menu item over the PBP limit will not be charged (as others have experienced).  So hopefully more (better?) choices within PBP in Retreat, but still an upcharge for Retreat menu items over $17.  BUT then she says this, which would seem to state that nothing on Pool Deck and Lounge menus is either (a) over $17 or (b) will not be upcharged.  Confused?  I shall see and report back . . .

Sent: Tuesday, January 9, 2024 11:41 AM
To: Richard 
Subject: RE: [EXTERNAL] Retreat

Thank you for your note. I can assure you that on Ascent this weekend, in all three locations for the Retreat, there will more variety than in the past on the wine menu and those wines will be included in the premium package.

As I mentioned, as we have always had, in all locations around the ship, wines for an additional charge over and above the package are available if a guest would like them.

Laura Hodges Bethge

President, Celebrity Cruises

lhodgesbethge@celebrity.com

Sent: Tuesday, January 9, 2024 11:59 AM
To: Laura Hodges Bethge <lhodgesbethge@celebrity.com>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Retreat

Thank you, Laura.  That's great to know!  But I still am unclear.  If I order wine off a Retreat menu with a premium package,  am I still understanding correctly that I will not be charged even if the menu price is above $17?  I believe you stated that here but other passengers are saying this is not accurate and that they are being charged.

Thanks again!  Rich

Sent: Tuesday, January 9, 2024 12:07 PM

Hi Richard—

All of the wines on the Retreat Pool Deck and in the Retreat Lounge are within the Premium Package, and those same wines are available in Luminae (given Luminae is a restaurant that list is more extensive). And, starting this weekend on Ascent we are adding more variety to that list of wines included in the premium packages– so that our Retreat guests have plenty to choose from. (It will be fleetwide by the end of the month).

There are additional wines available for an upcharge – that has not changed. Did we make some changes to inclusions in the classic and premium package, we did, and that will always continue to evolve and change based on guest preferences and inventory availability.

As I also mentioned, we are in the midst of reviewing, updating and adding breadth and depth to our wine menu. As you can imagine, these things do not happen instantaneously. We are excited to bring these new offerings to our guests in the next few months.

My very best, Laura

Laura Hodges Bethge

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, richczarnecki said:

OK, so here is my latest conversation with Laura.  Seems like something is changing for the better, with Sunday's Ascent departure being the first to add more wine ("variety") choices under PBP (the date I sail).  But she still does not confirm that a Retreat menu item over the PBP limit will not be charged (as others have experienced).  So hopefully more (better?) choices within PBP in Retreat, but still an upcharge for Retreat menu items over $17.  BUT then she says this, which would seem to state that nothing on Pool Deck and Lounge menus is either (a) over $17 or (b) will not be upcharged.  Confused?  I shall see and report back . . .

Sent: Tuesday, January 9, 2024 11:41 AM

Thank you for your note. I can assure you that on Ascent this weekend, in all three locations for the Retreat, there will more variety than in the past on the wine menu and those wines will be included in the premium package.

As I mentioned, as we have always had, in all locations around the ship, wines for an additional charge over and above the package are available if a guest would like them.

Laura Hodges Bethge

Sent: Tuesday, January 9, 2024 11:59 AM
To: Laura Hodges Bethge <lhodgesbethge@celebrity.com>
Subject: Re: [EXTERNAL] Retreat

Thank you, Laura.  That's great to know!  But I still am unclear.  If I order wine off a Retreat menu with a premium package,  am I still understanding correctly that I will not be charged even if the menu price is above $17?  I believe you stated that here but other passengers are saying this is not accurate and that they are being charged.

Thanks again!  Rich

Sent: Tuesday, January 9, 2024 12:07 PM

Hi Richard—

All of the wines on the Retreat Pool Deck and in the Retreat Lounge are within the Premium Package, and those same wines are available in Luminae (given Luminae is a restaurant that list is more extensive). And, starting this weekend on Ascent we are adding more variety to that list of wines included in the premium packages– so that our Retreat guests have plenty to choose from. (It will be fleetwide by the end of the month).

There are additional wines available for an upcharge – that has not changed. Did we make some changes to inclusions in the classic and premium package, we did, and that will always continue to evolve and change based on guest preferences and inventory availability.

As I also mentioned, we are in the midst of reviewing, updating and adding breadth and depth to our wine menu. As you can imagine, these things do not happen instantaneously. We are excited to bring these new offerings to our guests in the next few months.

My very best, Laura

Laura Hodges Bethge

Thanks for this. Will be interested to hear your experience once you're on Ascent/after you return as we are on Beyond in the April/May and other ships already booked into 2025. Current/future changes for the better are always welcomed to try and reverse, if to some degree, the most recent changes. 

6 minutes ago, JDPCruisers said:

Thanks for this. Will be interested to hear your experience once you're on Ascent/after you return as we are on Beyond in the April/May and other ships already booked into 2025. Current/future changes for the better are always welcomed to try and reverse, if to some degree, the most recent changes. 

Thanks for these updates.

I completely understand an upcharge on a glass of Caymus.

However ,I read that they raised the price on Cherry Pie Pinot Noir to $19/glass which is a $2.00 plus tip up charge.

With the recent changes ,I am currently looking to switch cruise lines for two upcoming cruises.

Removing Butlers in SS ,then removing gratuities ,and now a cash grab on drinks and wine.

I can sail a full luxury line for what Celebrity is charging for the Retreat with better service and no nickel and diming.

Very disappointed.

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, richczarnecki said:

Seems like something is changing for the better, with Sunday's Ascent departure being the first to add more wine ("variety") choices under PBP (the date I sail). 

I don't read it that way at all. It's not that things will change starting with this sailing, she's just trying to convince you that you will see more wine choices than in the past when you sail this Sunday on Ascent.

24 minutes ago, richczarnecki said:

This is confirmation of the upcharge policy. What she is silent on is the alarming number of pedestrian wines which have now found their way onto this list.

• Like 5

We are currently on the Jan 6 sailing on Eclipse. The are no IPA beers available in Michaels, wine selection is limited and the 2 scotch DH enjoyed in Michaels on Constellation in November are not available. The Evening “Gourmet Bites” alternate between almonds or mixed nuts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, RichYak said:

I don't read it that way at all. It's not that things will change starting with this sailing, she's just trying to convince you that you will see more wine choices than in the past when you sail this Sunday on Ascent.

This is confirmation of the upcharge policy. What she is silent on is the alarming number of pedestrian wines which have now found their way onto this list.

This is how I read things too. 

It reads like marketing PR to me. All a little bit disingenuous too. 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, sheeng said:

We are currently on the Jan 6 sailing on Eclipse. The are no IPA beers available in Michaels, wine selection is limited and the 2 scotch DH enjoyed in Michaels on Constellation in November are not available. The Evening “Gourmet Bites” alternate between almonds or mixed nuts.

Celebrity Cruises - Relaxed Luxury℠

18 minutes ago, jmdlv1 said:

I can sail a full luxury line for what Celebrity is charging for the Retreat with better service and no nickel and diming.

Very disappointed.

Just curious what luxury line you might be referring to . . . would like to know for future reference.

Indeed. This appears to be Laura’s vision for an upscale, “game changing”, luxury cruise experience. 

The bottles of fizz left in the Sky Suites. No expense spared eh? 😂

Come on Laura, if you or your team are reading this thread, you can do better. 

0571706D-427E-42B7-93EF-031A91867856.png

32DFE219-D17B-415E-BFD4-9AF057404C72.jpeg

• Like 1

Currently on Eclipse Jan 2024 sailing, also was on December 11,2023 sailing. I can confirm the upcharges in Luminae, specialty restaurants, and Retreat on both sailings on the elevated wine list. We did not have to sign for it, they just asked the suite number.

I’m attaching the wine list from Cellar Masters & Sushi on 5 from Eclipse. If you have the premium package and bring a bottle onboard, we were not charged the corkage fee for decanting. There are still wines in both the classic and premium packages, just not our favorites.

IMG_1908.jpeg

IMG_1907.jpeg

IMG_1906.jpeg

IMG_1905.jpeg

IMG_1904.jpeg

IMG_1898.jpeg

IMG_1900.jpeg

1 hour ago, billc23 said:

I have to agree with beyond tacky. It's not the money - I just don't feel the love after spending over $40K on an upper suite and being nickel and dimed. I plan to speak to the shoreside concierge today about a future sailing and will inquire what the current policy will be on my sailing. 

Would be interested to hear what the SC response is as we are sailing in Silhouettes PH in Feb and I’m so annoyed thinking after spending so much hard saved money for a special anniversary that we will be expected to pay upcharges on glasses of wine. People have been rude in commenting in other places saying “you can afford a PH, you’re whining over a couple of bucks!” That’s not the point, it’s the principle! No one with the premium beverage package should pay upcharges for sub standard wine! I’ve loved the product Celebrity has put out before this new President took over. She is making it impossible to continue sailing with them. Will be looking at other lines for our cruising vacations after our Feb cruise. 

• Like 15

7 minutes ago, CruisersTimesThree said:

Would be interested to hear what the SC response is as we are sailing in Silhouettes PH in Feb and I’m so annoyed thinking after spending so much hard saved money for a special anniversary that we will be expected to pay upcharges on glasses of wine. People have been rude in commenting in other places saying “you can afford a PH, you’re whining over a couple of bucks!” That’s not the point, it’s the principle! No one with the premium beverage package should pay upcharges for sub standard wine! I’ve loved the product Celebrity has put out before this new President took over. She is making it impossible to continue sailing with them. Will be looking at other lines for our cruising vacations after our Feb cruise. 

I agree with you, I have a suite booked my first (and probably last) I did this before the prices went crazy and on top I sail solo. I'm fine with paying double I get that but now with the extra few thousand added on top that's ruling out any M or S class routes now.

Thankfully I like Edge class so I can do solo room and routes I looked at are reasonable but basically that's realistically all I can do with the prices. But you are paying for a suite, anything in the Retreat area should be included (that's how Yacht club worked with MSC, I went out of the YC area if it was over a certain amount I paid the difference but everything in YC was included).

The line is supposed to be mid level cruise line but it's being treated like Royal, they both need to have their own identities because right now X seems like it's having an identity crisis and trying to do too much, as they say try to please everyone and no one is happy. 

For giggles I had a look at Royal to see if that would be better and their prices were high as well. They are alienating a lot of people with their prices and will come back to bite them in the arse because people are using money/credits from covid still which is inflating numbers but give it time that's going to slow down. Especially with cost of living keep rising.

30 minutes ago, richczarnecki said:

Just curious what luxury line you might be referring to . . . would like to know for future reference.

Currently looking at Regent ,Silver Seas ,Oceania and Seabourn.

I know very little about these except Seabourn .

It just seems like Celebrity is chasing away loyal customers.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

All of this thread seems to be about wine prices onboard being above the $17 premium package limit. Any problems of this kind with cocktails, beer, etc?

Have not seen anything.I hope somebody posts.

My wife drinks Grey Goose.

jmdlv1, the original concept of areas like the Retreat, Yacht Club, and Haven was to offer much the same inclusions and services as the lux lines you mention, but at a lower fare.  As to the Retreat, Celebrity is clearly moving away from this concept by cutting inclusions and services in the Retreat and raising fares to a level sometimes above those on lux lines. Thus, some of us who usually cruised lux lines discovered the Retreat as it formerly was, and really liked it. With all the recent cuts, Celebrity has eliminated us from its potential market. Why should we pay more for less than avaible in lux lines?

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

jmdlv1, the original concept of areas like the Retreat, Yacht Club, and Haven was to offer much the same inclusions and services as the lux lines you mention, but at a lower fare.  As to the Retreat, Celebrity is clearly moving away from this concept by cutting inclusions and services in the Retreat and raising fares to a level sometimes above those on lux lines. Thus, some of us who usually cruised lux lines discovered the Retreat as it formerly was, and really liked it. With all the recent cuts, Celebrity has eliminated us from its potential market. Why should we pay more for less than avaible in lux lines?

We're currently onboard Beyond with friends. A sailing we booked almost two years ago. And that's the question we have been discussing. My only conclusion is that their marketing team is aiming the Celebrity product at newer cruises who don't really understand the difference between cruise line categories. Celebrity looks upscale when compared to resort style lines like Carnival and NCL. It even looks upscale against the mainstream premium lines peers such as Cunard, Virgin and Princess. But these newbies probably haven't yet figured out how it can look very poor value compared to lux lines. And that said, newbies tend to be younger. And I'm not sure how appealing Silversea, Crystal and Regent to name but three are to young thirty somethings....

But going back to Celebrity, even the current incentives to book onboard are really pointless. 

So we'll be booking on of the 6^ lux lines too. At a great price comparatively speaking and more importantly, with a great itinerary. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, jmdlv1 said:

Have not seen anything.I hope somebody posts.

My wife drinks Grey Goose.

Posted this earlier but I was charged $1 plus 20 cents gratuities for a drink over my package limit. On the line for extra gratuities I added a zero with a line through it. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jmdlv1 said:

Thanks for these updates.

I completely understand an upcharge on a glass of Caymus.

However ,I read that they raised the price on Cherry Pie Pinot Noir to $19/glass which is a $2.00 plus tip up charge.

With the recent changes ,I am currently looking to switch cruise lines for two upcoming cruises.

Removing Butlers in SS ,then removing gratuities ,and now a cash grab on drinks and wine.

Very disappointed.

Will be interested in what you decide on as we are looking but have yet to make a change. 

18 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Posted this earlier but I was charged $1 plus 20 cents gratuities for a drink over my package limit. On the line for extra gratuities I added a zero with a line through it. 

If you look at the current Ascent sailing the app shows 4 of the 10 cocktails served at the World class bar as an upcharge over the PDP. 

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Moby Jones said:

We're currently onboard Beyond with friends. A sailing we booked almost two years ago. And that's the question we have been discussing. My only conclusion is that their marketing team is aiming the Celebrity product at newer cruises who don't really understand the difference between cruise line categories. Celebrity looks upscale when compared to resort style lines like Carnival and NCL. It even looks upscale against the mainstream premium lines peers such as Cunard, Virgin and Princess. But these newbies probably haven't yet figured out how it can look very poor value compared to lux lines. And that said, newbies tend to be younger. And I'm not sure how appealing Silversea, Crystal and Regent to name but three are to young thirty somethings....

But going back to Celebrity, even the current incentives to book onboard are really pointless. 

So we'll be booking on of the 6^ lux lines too. At a great price comparatively speaking and more importantly, with a great itinerary. 

This is true. Newbies are from land resorts like Marriotts that everything is ala carte and is expensive. JW Marriott Marco Island can be $800/night for a standard room plus food and booze-another $300. On X you are getting a suite for the same price. 

regent, Crystal et al are somewhat unknown on the Newbie cruise world and in the Caribbean they have unusual schedules (Tuesday departure) from harder to get to originating ports (Barbados). 

A European cruise is a no brainer for lux lines. Cost competitive and better everything for a port intensive vacation. Small ships go to small ports. Big ships go to big ports. 

• Like 1