Cove balcony on deck 2 of Magic noise

Bollycats

Interested in booking a Cove balcony cabin on the Magic. The choices are on deck 2 and look like a dining room and galley are above them. What is the noise level? I would think under the carpeted dining room might be ok, but under the galley would be horrendous. 

We were in a cove balcony, on sister ship Dream, under the dining room and it was perfect (I came home and immediately booked another cove balcony in a similar location).  I'm a really light sleeper so I have never tried one under the galley (I've heard that can be noisy at all hours).

We would hear a bit of noise every night around the same time (I think maybe it was when they were closing/cleaning the dining room) but it was brief and not bad at all.

Edited by csm5986142
  • Like 1

We didn't think about noise and got a cove under the galley. Who would think it sounds like they turn that into a bowling alley at night. This was by far the noisiest cabin we have ever had. We now make sure we have cabins above and below us and just hope we don't get door slammers next door.

The galley is a huge area, relatively speaking, so it really depends on where in the galley you're talking about. The trouble is, there's really no way of knowing what is above you.

If you're a light sleeper you will probably be better served by picking a cabin that is below the dining rooms.

Generally we have had very good luck booking cove balconies as far as noise level on the Magic, but we were in room 2414 last year and let me tell it was very noisy directly above us. As someone mentioned above it sounded like a bowling alley above us. There must have been some type of heavy wheeled cart or something that they kept rolling across the floor above us starting very early in the morning around 4:00am, and then occasionally there would be a large banging sound in the morning and evenings. We have had cabins 2368, 2374 and 2386 and have had very quiet cruises. We also had room 2464, a non cove room,  and only had noise and vibrations when docking and leaving ports from the thrusters, but otherwise it was pretty peaceful once we got out to sea. 

On 12/19/2023 at 11:22 AM, Bollycats said:

Interested in booking a Cove balcony cabin on the Magic. The choices are on deck 2 and look like a dining room and galley are above them. What is the noise level? I would think under the carpeted dining room might be ok, but under the galley would be horrendous. 

We mostly book cove balconies and we like midship-forward for coves but -- we did have two coves on the Magic under the galley and wasn't an issue.  We heard some bumps in the early mornings but nothing that woke us up.  We also had one under the dining room and only heard small little bumps at night at around 10 PM -- that was it.

1 hour ago, Bollycats said:

We decided against the cove balcony. Well, actually, my travelling companion said "no way". So we're in a regular balcony and happy. Maybe I'll get to try the cove balcony another time.

Do try a Cove sometime, we did a year ago for first time and enjoyed it, were actually in Cove on Magic and a) heard no noise from above and b) appreciated the location, and have been in a Cove on Celebration and also found the location so convenient. 

12 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Do try a Cove sometime, we did a year ago for first time and enjoyed it, were actually in Cove on Magic and a) heard no noise from above and b) appreciated the location, and have been in a Cove on Celebration and also found the location so convenient. 

I totally agree! We had been on over 25 cruises before we tried a cove balcony and it's now one of my favorites (feel like we were missing out).  We were so close to the water and got to see flying fish and dolphins.  With it being shaded it wasn't near as hot as a standard balcony so we got a lot more use out of it.  The only other balcony type I like better is Havana Cabana.

• Like 1

We had a cold balcony on the horizon in July. I will never ever do it again. I made sure to book a room under the excursions desk, hoping the noise would be limited but boy was I wrong. It was the dragging and banging all night every night. I called guest services every single night they would come down to my cabin 2 3 4 in the morning to try to locate where the noise was coming from and they couldn’t one night they admitted they were doing heavy machinery work right above me, but other than that they had no clue I didn’t sleep the whole trip, they gave me $200 in onboard credit for my inconvenience. But I told my husband never ever ever again I book a cove balcony even if it’s free, I would not do it my opinion everybody has their own.