Jeans on queen Vic

laticsmon

35 minutes ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

And that lack of clarity, I would suggest, is why it is not enforced.  It would be perfectly justifiable to read what is on the website and the extract from the daily programme quoted above to mean that jeans are acceptable wear on smart attire nights, whatever individual posters might think.  That is how it reads to me.  I sense that the wording is ambiguous on purpose, perhaps so that the more traditionally minded and those who want a more relaxed experience can read into it what they wish and with a lack of enforcement either way meaning both groups can enjoy their cruise as they wish.

I have never understood the endless fascination some seem to have in what other people are wearing, so long as they are complying with basic standards of decency.  Whether someone is wearing jeans or a morning suit has zero impact on my enjoyment of my holiday.

Fully understand one’s direction.  
From a personal viewpoint, there is a published, very basic, minimum dress code standard.  However, there are no restrictions on exceeding it.

It is known that determined persons, with ambiguous and convoluted thought processes, can “officially” (in their minds) dumb down the code.

For one’s part, it is known potential infringements are registered, with the miscreants politely spoken to by the MD.

I was on QM2 this November for the first time since late 2019. The "smart" dress exhibited by many passengers has relaxed considerably in the interim but I don't remember seeing any denim in the evenings.
I generally don't pack denim for cruises, primarily due to its weight.

Edited by Underwatr
typo correction

2 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

And that lack of clarity, I would suggest, is why it is not enforced.  It would be perfectly justifiable to read what is on the website and the extract from the daily programme quoted above to mean that jeans are acceptable wear on smart attire nights, whatever individual posters might think.  That is how it reads to me.  I sense that the wording is ambiguous on purpose, perhaps so that the more traditionally minded and those who want a more relaxed experience can read into it what they wish and with a lack of enforcement either way meaning both groups can enjoy their cruise as they wish.

I have never understood the endless fascination some seem to have in what other people are wearing, so long as they are complying with basic standards of decency.  Whether someone is wearing jeans or a morning suit has zero impact on my enjoyment of my holiday.

To a certain extent I agree with you but although what others wear has no effect on me at all and I am most definitely not a member of the Dress Police, if Joe/Jo Bloggs saw  John/Joan Smith wearing blue jeans on a Smart attire night, he/she might think that's great, I'll do that next time.  Then others will see and eventually the jeans wearing of a Smart Evening could escalate so I can see the merit in trad. jeans being worn in certain areas of the ship and not in others.

• Like 2

Being able to does not equate with choosing to or having others endorse your choice.  The cost, the label, the designer are immaterial.... jeans are jeans and the idea they constitute "smart attire" on Cunard is wishful thinking by those who have many other chances to wear jeans ashore or indeed afloat, sadly on the vast majority on cruise ships.  

Cunard is different precisely because of its more traditional standards (which I appreciate is a naughty word nowadays) and patronised by those who appreciate, abide by and derive pleasure and satisfaction for those who do share those standards. 

Edited by WantedOnVoyage
  • Like 5

5 hours ago, cruising.mark.uk said:

It would be perfectly justifiable to read what is on the website and the extract from the daily programme quoted above to mean that jeans are acceptable wear on smart attire nights,

However one needs to look at what was quoted in a wider context. The same blurb appeared on the programme for a Gala Evening that Pushpit posted from a few days ago. It follows the Gala Evening advice. It would be hard to argue that non-ripped, jeans are appropriate outside the venues highlighted as being for casual dress on a Gala Evening.

image.png.c228e10f11d019a87dbb2a3a81b06259.png

• Like 1

I’m not fascinated by other people’s clothing either way; however, we just returned from a TA during which we saw people shuffling around in cargo shorts, sweatshirts and sneakers or beach sandals . Yes, they were going on to the Caribbean, but this was in the North Atlantic. Either way, I saw no one enforcing anything. It was disappointing.

40 minutes ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

I’m not fascinated by other people’s clothing either way; however, we just returned from a TA during which we saw people shuffling around in cargo shorts, sweatshirts and sneakers or beach sandals . Yes, they were going on to the Caribbean, but this was in the North Atlantic. Either way, I saw no one enforcing anything. It was disappointing.

Was this super casual dress before or after 6pm? 

6 hours ago, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

Primarily before, though on the one occasion we used the buffet, after as well. I didn’t get my bloomers twisted over it, but it just didn’t feel the same as past TA’s,

Before 6pm and in the buffet is fine. 

• Like 1

I was on Victoria in September and dressed fully in Black tie etc for Black and White gala night. Later on in the evening maybe around 11pm, I changed into smart jeans and long sleeve shirt and returned to the Yacht club. Big mistake. I felt very out of place even though it was late and wished I had not changed as everyone else was in formal wear still. Lesson learned!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Onboard Victoria as a type and it's choppy CHOPPY!! Still just off France,so the Bay of Biscay here we come .

I like the previous reviewer,wore my summer dress to the Queens grills restaurant,thinking "it would do" but I felt very under dressed,won't do that again.

Merry Christmas cruisers x

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/23/2023 at 12:24 PM, 2Oldpeopleinlove said:

You could have been proactive and brought this to the attention of Senior staff, last time for me was a  male dressed wearing a gown in the buffet, before that fingers in the food before that....... if we all would politely speak up standards could  rise