Princess forced cancellation to rebook at higher rate for exact same room:

TaxesandTools

Requesting help or guidance on how to handle:  I called Princess to correct my daughter's name on 1 of the 2 rooms I booked during Cyber Monday deal.  The representative advised me that I received a promotion that was not available and FORCED me to cancel that booking and re-book the exact same room at $250 more per person and an additional $300 deposit.   He said if I did not do it on the phone with him, it would be cancelled anyways and I may lose the connecting rooms for my family.  I feel this is wrong and unethical.  Does anyone have any suggestions or contact information to escalate the situation?

1 hour ago, TaxesandTools said:

Requesting help or guidance on how to handle:  I called Princess to correct my daughter's name on 1 of the 2 rooms I booked during Cyber Monday deal.  The representative advised me that I received a promotion that was not available and FORCED me to cancel that booking and re-book the exact same room at $250 more per person and an additional $300 deposit.   He said if I did not do it on the phone with him, it would be cancelled anyways and I may lose the connecting rooms for my family.  I feel this is wrong and unethical.  Does anyone have any suggestions or contact information to escalate the situation?

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

So...did you actually do what this rep said? If so...it may be very difficult to get any positive satisfaction. 

As far as the situation goes, I have always been under the impression that it was a relatively simple matter to get a name corrected on a booking. This scenario just doesn't sound right. I agree...it sounds wrong!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, firefightermediclasvegas said:

If you booked through a travel adviser, let them handle everything.  TA’s should be able to handle it if you booked through them.  

This is yet another example of just how painless and easy a good TA can make any kind of booking hiccup! I used to be a control freak and try to do everything myself, but all the COVID madness put an end to that. 

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, firefightermediclasvegas said:

If you booked through a travel adviser, let them handle everything.  TA’s should be able to handle it if you booked through them.  

Book it through a TA? But I have read so many times on these boards that you then "lose control" of your booking. It does not seem that the OP when calling to make this simple change had much control of the booking. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

I had something similar happen to our group booking. After speaking to three different reps, on three different days, and a supervisor, I gave up and booked a different cruise. I will never book directly with Princess again. My regular TA tried to help me, even though she wasn’t getting a commission. Princess refused to speak with her. Lesson learned.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Rick&Jeannie said:

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

So...did you actually do what this rep said? If so...it may be very difficult to get any positive satisfaction. 

As far as the situation goes, I have always been under the impression that it was a relatively simple matter to get a name corrected on a booking. This scenario just doesn't sound right. I agree...it sounds wrong!

I did what the rep said:(  The name change was easy.  It’s when he saw the promo on one of the bookings, he told me it was a promo I should never had.   He told me I had to cancel & rebook at the current rate.  He said It would happen even if I didn’t agree & then I’d lose my connecting rooms.   I had to make a quick decision on the phone.  I did not want to lose the connecting room that has my 2 kids.  Unfortunately, I did not use a TA.  Thank you for response.  

6 hours ago, partybarbie said:

I had something similar happen to our group booking. After speaking to three different reps, on three different days, and a supervisor, I gave up and booked a different cruise. I will never book directly with Princess again. My regular TA tried to help me, even though she wasn’t getting a commission. Princess refused to speak with her. Lesson learned.

Oh boy…. Sounds like I’m going to learn this lesson.  I have called back, chatted, and sent email to customer relations.    I may just give up & book with a different cruise.  Thank you for response. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SKCruiser007 said:

I would call back today and insist on speaking to a supervisor. If this goes beyond today and the issue is not resolved, it surely will not be able to be reversed on Tuesday. Good luck!

Thank you!   I sat on hold with chat for over an hour today.  I requested an escalation.  She advised me it will be 3-5 business days for supervisor to contact me.  I also sent an email to customer relations.  Thank you for you assistance:)

13 minutes ago, TaxesandTools said:

I should have used a TA… learned my lesson 

I also use a TA, but only for perks...not because of things like this. That being said, I don't want you to take from this that *you* did something wrong...the rep did. The "lesson" to learn is never believe a rep and if you don't like what they are saying, hang up and call back. You'll get a different rep and almost certainly a different answer.

The sad truth is that every cruise line suffers from this. I read the boards for all of the major lines and you see stories like this (and perks going away, costs going up, etc.) across the board. Pick a cruise line that has an itinerary you like for a good price and sail with them. Loyalty is no longer rewarded, so sail with whoever gives you the best deal.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, TaxesandTools said:

I should have used a TA… learned my lesson 

I never settle for first agent if it doesn’t sound right.  Post pandemic there has been a drop in knowleable age answering the phones. Sorry this has happened to you.

Next 2 weeks May be worse.  iMO best to cancel and wait for next promotion if you have refundable deposits.

The princess call center is the single worst thing about Princess, and it is close to driving us away from the line (and on to other types of vacations).  I now use a CVP in order to avoid the call center, but I hate to bother the CVP with all the fare changes that Princess post along the way (usually have to re-fare a cruise 2 or 3 times as the fares change).   I prefer to do things myself, but simply will not call the call center anymore.  It is aggravating and a waste of time.  What you hope to accomplish just gets all confused with wrong answers and wrong directions.

• Like 4

Try this "Please send us a direct message on Instaxxxx or X(Twitxxx)with your booking information, and our Guest Services team can assist. Thank you."  People who post on a social media platform (that shall remain nameless) that they are having issues are advised to send a direct message.

• Like 1