Embarkation in Bali compared to Valparaiso

zitsky

My husband is threatening to boycott our Bali cruise on Millie in a SS in early 2025 because embarkation for the Eclipse in Aqua in Valparaiso, Chile was so long and disorganized.  We saw no Retreat line at the terminal but there was one as you stepped off the bus.  (We were in Aqua.)

In contrast, the lines for Viking Jupiter were much shorter and buses were leaving half full.  Apparently no one wants to cruise on Viking.

Can anyone tell me what embarkation is and like in Bali?  We will be in one of the “fake” Sky Suites aka the Retreat but I may bid up.

Edited by zitsky

5 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

What is a fake Sky Suite?

Sky Suites are fake because they are not real “upper” suites.  Most people in Sky Suites drive Mercedes-Benz or BMWs instead of Bentley and Rolls Royce like people in the “real” suites.**

**If you’re still confused please refer to all the posts about Butlers.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

Sky Suites are fake because they are not real “upper” suites.  Most people in Sky Suites drive Mercedes-Benz or BMWs instead of Bentley and Rolls Royce like people in the “real” suites.**

**If you’re still confused please refer to all the posts about Butlers.

off the rails!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm glad it is XMAS as everyone is so Happy!

Nothing but complains today,

Food, drink up charges, boarding the ship.

You can tell we all are not from Jamaica. LOL If we were, we all would know 'poo poo happens. '

How can all those cruisers who cruise each week allow these problems. Maybe they change cruise lines after ever cruise?

Happy Holidays & if your don't complain, Happy Cruising! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mom says said:

If long lines at embarkation are a reason why you would cancel an entire cruise, have you considered arriving at the port terminal later in the day, after the initial scrum?

really. I can’t imagine cancelling a cruise over this. First world problems.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, mom says said:

If long lines at embarkation are a reason why you would cancel an entire cruise, have you considered arriving at the port terminal later in the day, after the initial scrum?

We boarded at 3:30pm.  We were told, perhaps wrongly, that the last boarding was 4:30.  What time should we have boarded?

Lots of sensitive people here who can’t read that it was my husband who wanted to cancel, not me.

Anyone with useful information to share?

Thing is, you can never expect disembarkation and embarkation lines to be as short on a 2500 pax ship as on a 1000 pax ship (like Viking). And never take a 5000 pax ship if you want to get off and on easily at ports. We like to take ships about 70o pax or less on cruises where port access is important.

• Like 1

Just now, Dolebludger said:

Thing is, you can never expect disembarkation and embarkation lines to be as short on a 2500 pax ship as on a 1000 pax ship (like Viking). And never take a 5000 pax ship if you want to get off and on easily at ports. We like to take ships about 70o pax or less on cruises where port access is important.

I’ve been on three cruise lines.  Never saw it so disorganized.

You need to be ready that not always everything goes smoothly and if you arrive at a unlucky time when a large group are already in line it can take a longer time.

X is going to offer cruises from Bali for the first time next season and from a recent stop on Edge i heard it was quite chaotic. Hence, you need to be ready that things will not go that smoothly, but deciding because of that not to go on a cruise is not the right approach in my view.

• Like 1

As you are probably quite aware, shore-side details like checkin and luggage handling and embarkation in general is handled by a shore-side team. Who are probably not Celebrity staff, particularly in seldom visited ports like Valparaiso or Bali. Not being snarky, just suggesting that a more general forum within Cruise Critic might be a place you could find more information. I could argue that the less used ports might get better service from the occasional staff. Or, maybe, they get worse service from the inexperienced occasional staff. In general, I would suck it up and enjoy any cruise from anyplace! 
safe travels and happy holidays.

Stan

• Like 2

14 hours ago, zitsky said:

Lots of sensitive people here who can’t read that it was my husband who wanted to cancel, not me.

no, we read that. You are 

1. Traveling to an area of the world that most people will never visit 

2. Complaining about traveling in a celebrity suite which most people can’t afford

3. Comparing a celebrity boarding experience to viking

4. giving your husband the ability to decide that waiting a couple hours to board outweighs taking a fantastic trip in a suite

if my husband wanted to boycott over this, I’d invite him to stay home and not ruin my trip

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

no, we read that. You are 

1. Traveling to an area of the world that most people will never visit 

2. Complaining about traveling in a celebrity suite which most people can’t afford

3. Comparing a celebrity boarding experience to viking

4. giving your husband the ability to decide that waiting a couple hours to board outweighs taking a fantastic trip in a suite

if my husband wanted to boycott over this, I’d invite him to stay home and not ruin my trip

I see you’ve proved my point.  😂

No one visits South America or Southeast Asia? The people who live there may not appreciate your perspective.  😂

Edited by zitsky

1 hour ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

As you are probably quite aware, shore-side details like checkin and luggage handling and embarkation in general is handled by a shore-side team. Who are probably not Celebrity staff, particularly in seldom visited ports like Valparaiso or Bali. Not being snarky, just suggesting that a more general forum within Cruise Critic might be a place you could find more information. I could argue that the less used ports might get better service from the occasional staff. Or, maybe, they get worse service from the inexperienced occasional staff. In general, I would suck it up and enjoy any cruise from anyplace! 
safe travels and happy holidays.

Stan

Who told you that Valparaiso was “seldom visited”?  I don’t go often but I’ve been there twice in the last 5 years.  Lots of South Americans might disagree that no one goes on cruises to Valparaiso.

Edited by zitsky

21 hours ago, asctony said:

I'm glad it is XMAS as everyone is so Happy!

Nothing but complains today,

Food, drink up charges, boarding the ship.

You can tell we all are not from Jamaica. LOL If we were, we all would know 'poo poo happens. '

How can all those cruisers who cruise each week allow these problems. Maybe they change cruise lines after ever cruise?

Happy Holidays & if your don't complain, Happy Cruising! 

Do you think other people might be interested in the boarding experience?

I see in 2025 X is using the Equinox on a round trip from Buenos Aires that goes to the Falklands and Montevideo which aren’t on this cruise from Valparaiso, Chile.

59 minutes ago, zitsky said:

I’m sorry.  I didn’t realize this was a competition.

No seriously, this is not a competition. You stated you cruised on three different cruise lines. So, I was just asking, in a funny way, which cruise lines and how many times have you cruised. If I offended you, Sorry.

I was just trying to find out what cruise lines and your experience to make a statement in regards of boarding a ship can be very stressful at times. Many things come into play at each port. The port team is not the cruise lines employees. They are subcontractors. 

You can go out of a port today and have a great experience and the next cruise can be terrible. Been there and done it. 

So, it is your choice to answer what lines and number of cruises.

6 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Do you think other people might be interested in the boarding experience?

I see in 2025 X is using the Equinox on a round trip from Buenos Aires that goes to the Falklands and Montevideo which aren’t on this cruise from Valparaiso, Chile.

I already answered your question before I read this. 

4 minutes ago, asctony said:

No seriously, this is not a competition. You stated you cruised on three different cruise lines. So, I was just asking, in a funny way, which cruise lines and how many times have you cruised. If I offended you, Sorry.

I was just trying to find out what cruise lines and your experience to make a statement in regards of boarding a ship can be very stressful at times. Many things come into play at each port. The port team is not the cruise lines employees. They are subcontractors. 

You can go out of a port today and have a great experience and the next cruise can be terrible. Been there and done it. 

So, it is your choice to answer what lines and number of cruises.

I understand the question.   I don’t post my entire cruise history when I post a comment because I don’t keep it on a sticky note.  You can find it in my signature.