Cape Liberty to LGA

Hello.  I am looking for information and hope someone here can help.

On July 5 my family of 5 is sailing on Symphony out of Cape Liberty.  We return on July 12.  How do-able is an 11:25 AM flight out of LGA?  I am not familiar with NYC area traffic.  If it matters we are in Star class and would be using a sedan/SUV service.

I know EWR is closer to the port but the options to get from there to SRQ are not as good as the nonstop on Delta out of LGA that I found.

Thank you.

I would absolutely not chance that timing.

I'm sure there will be people who will come on and say "Oh, no problem!" BUT...

July 12 is a Friday. Meaning people will still be going to work, and you'll be going for it at peak rush hour assuming the ship gets in on time (more on that later).

While most of the construction at LGA is getting finished, there are still lane and ramp closures. I haven't heard of people getting out of cabs and walking lately, but never say never.

Now...to the ship getting in on time. Cape Liberty is primarily a commercial port with cargo ships being most of their business. And the channels are not super wide. I was on the Celebrity Summit (considerably smaller than Symphony) this past summer and around noon the day before we were to return to Cape Liberty, the Captain announced that we would be delayed docking until at least 9:30 because there was a large ship docked at the pier across the channel from our berth, and there was a large cargo ship that had to get out in the morning, and if we were docked they would not be able to make it. So there were a lot of people who were getting on the internet with their airlines to try and change their flights that they had booked because "I've never had a problem with that time before." It was a pretty stressed-out ship that last afternoon and evening.

I may be weird, but I'd rather pay a little more or take a later flight than end my cruise being totally stressed out.

17 minutes ago, mandersen12345 said:

I know EWR is closer to the port but the options to get from there to SRQ are not as good as the nonstop on Delta out of LGA that I found.

Thank you.

Do you have PreCheck or Clear?  Those lines move quickly in Terminal C (Delta) while the regular lines can be a mess.  Also be aware that the walk to the gates in Terminal C can be long.

Is it doable?  Probably, if all goes well with debarkation, traffic as well as checkin.

Also be aware that you will be paying big $$$ in tolls.

Posted (edited)

You're looking at easily a 60-90 minute door-to-door drive, if everything goes smoothly and there's only average traffic. Arriving 90 minutes early would be recommended, at the minimum. So now you're looking at three hours, which means you'd have to be in the car and on the road by 8:25am, preferably even a bit earlier. Is it possible? Sure. But what if there's even just a slight delay in docking, or immigration, or getting your bags? And, do you really want to end your vacation stressing about getting to the airport on time? 

Personally, I would stick to Newark and just accept that you'll need to make a connection somewhere like Charlotte, DC, or Atlanta. Or, look at taking one of the numerous nonstops from EWR to TPA or RSW instead. 

Edited by Zach1213

I live about 35 miles from LGA. Drove there one day in 45 minutes. Next day it took 2-1/2 hours. You just never know (which is why I avoid going there at all costs). 

Bear in mind that boarding for 11:25 flight closes at 11:10.  Also some of the gates Delta uses at terminal C are a pretty long walk from check-in.  If you're off the ship at 7:30, find your luggage right away, clear CPB without issue, locate your driver quickly and hit no traffic you could possibly be at the airport before 10am.  A few drops of rain however can bring traffic to a standstill.

1 hour ago, WrittenOnYourHeart said:

I would absolutely not chance that timing.

I was on the Celebrity Summit (considerably smaller than Symphony) this past summer and around noon the day before we were to return to Cape Liberty, the Captain announced that we would be delayed docking until at least 9:30 because there was a large ship docked at the pier across the channel from our berth, and there was a large cargo ship that had to get out in the morning, and if we were docked they would not be able to make it. 

Agree with you. Twice, that I am aware of, in 2023 Royal ships had the same issue docking at Cape Liberty. There was no forewarning the day previous.