9am flight from FLL; can I make it?

saltshell

If you got lucky on timing, including airport baggage check and security,  were first off the ship, and didn't stop for anything, you might make it.

How many ships are in port? More than

3? Your chances just diminished.

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, saltshell said:

Think I cam make a 9am flight if I carry my own luggage?

Yes. Just line up in the morning early to be first off ship. You shouldn't have a problem as long as no special events and your ship isn't delayed. We do this all the time. You just need to be okay with the possibility that you might miss your flight. If that doesn't stress you out then I say do it. A lot of folks on here will say you shouldn't do it. I've saved myself endless hours of sitting in the airport by doing it but I'm not risk averse so the thought of missing my flight doesn't bother me.

Edited by Denversail

3 hours ago, saltshell said:

Thanks. My only alternative was a couple of flights with connection in Atlanta of less than an hour; too old to make that run.

In order to make a 9 am flight...run it backwards.  The plane doors will close at 8:40 am.  You need to be at gate before 8:40 am.  If you mean by carrying your own luggage, you mean "carry on only", you need to be boarding before last call and all the overhead space is full.  If you mean just carrying luggage off the ship and checking a bag at the airport, you need to be there by 7:40 am and hope there is no one else in line.  

1 hour ago, Elaine5715 said:

In order to make a 9 am flight...run it backwards.  The plane doors will close at 8:40 am.  You need to be at gate before 8:40 am.  If you mean by carrying your own luggage, you mean "carry on only", you need to be boarding before last call and all the overhead space is full.  If you mean just carrying luggage off the ship and checking a bag at the airport, you need to be there by 7:40 am and hope there is no one else in line.  

That isn’t accurate. Bags for domestic flights must be checked in 45 minutes prior to departure.

4 minutes ago, Denversail said:

That isn’t accurate. Bags for domestic flights must be checked in 45 minutes prior to departure.

If you are trying to drop bags at 8:15 am for a 9 am flight, you would have to hope there is no one in Security and you had a ride to your gate to be on the jetway at 8:40 am as the doors close.  

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

If you are trying to drop bags at 8:15 am for a 9 am flight, you would have to hope there is no one in Security and you had a ride to your gate to be on the jetway at 8:40 am as the doors close.  

At FLL?

3 minutes ago, Denversail said:

I would also say your carryon reference isn’t relevant for making a flight. If overhead is full the bag would just be checked at the gate. No big deal.

It is a big deal if you aren't expecting it, if you have chargers in your luggage that need to be dug out, meds, car keys, plane stuff that is in that bag.  I have soft sided carryons which would not do well in the hold.  On some final legs, plane side checked bags go to the luggage carousal.   

If you are walking off the ship by 7:30 you will be there before 8:15. We have walked off by 6:30 before. It is of course a risk which is why I mentioned being okay with taking them. You are clearly someone who wouldn’t do such a thing. I understand.

1 minute ago, Elaine5715 said:

It is a big deal if you aren't expecting it, if you have chargers in your luggage that need to be dug out, meds, car keys, plane stuff that is in that bag.  I have soft sided carryons which would not do well in the hold.  On some final legs, plane side checked bags go to the luggage carousal.   

Well you sound risk averse so I would advise that you always schedule later flights.

2 minutes ago, Denversail said:

At FLL?

With Precheck, 20 minutes through Security.  If there are a couple ships in, it could be an hour to check bags.  I have been there when 7 ships return.  The curbside luggage drop was an hour, they would not let you into the luggage line until 2 hours preflight while they were pulling people out of line for flights less than an hour.  

Just now, Elaine5715 said:

With Precheck, 20 minutes through Security.  If there are a couple ships in, it could be an hour to check bags.  I have been there when 7 ships return.  The curbside luggage drop was an hour, they would not let you into the luggage line until 2 hours preflight while they were pulling people out of line for flights less than an hour.  

Not at 7 am

If you are first off the ship you get there before all those folks. I have done it multiple times. How many flights prior to 10 am have you attempted? From experience I can say it is doable but of course a risk. I have yet to miss a flight but understand it is a possibility. Our last was a 10 am flight out of Miami. Our ship clearance got delayed and we were slow getting in line to exit the ship, we then were faced with a not super long but VERY slow moving taxi line. I think we didn’t catch a taxi until 8:30ish. We checked our bags, made it through security and still waited a few minutes at the gate. If I’d had an earlier flight I would have been in line earlier. I’ve done earlier than 9 am flights from FLL. 

8 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

At 8 am which is when you said is fine.  If you get to FLL at 7 am for a 9 am flight, odds are good.  Arriving at 8 am, odds going down.  

Have you been to FLL? 8 am for a 9 am flight is plenty of time.

30 minutes ago, Denversail said:

Have you been to FLL? 8 am for a 9 am flight is plenty of time.

Not even.  I usually fly in and out of FLL.  That 9 am flight is starting to board at 8:20 am.  

OP - to revisit a question asked earlier:  how many ships are in port that day? 

And a new question:  do you have a plan B?  Will there be seats available on later flights (tied to how many ships are there in port that day) and how much will tickets cost you? 

One caution:  not everyone can be first off the ship.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

Interesting. We've flown out of FLL a dozen times in recent years, though always Terminal 2 (Delta and Air Canada) We have Pre-Check and have NEVER taken more than 5 minutes in the security line for our morning flights and with me needing extra "attention" due to my metal hip.

On a side note, for the OP, having airline priority check-in can be a huge time saver. When we arrive for check-in there may be 50+ people snaking through the slow moving check-in line, while we never see more than one or two folks ahead of us in the priority line, and usually nobody. That alone can shave a half hour off the check-in time.

4 hours ago, lx200gps said:

Interesting. We've flown out of FLL a dozen times in recent years, though always Terminal 2 (Delta and Air Canada) We have Pre-Check and have NEVER taken more than 5 minutes in the security line for our morning flights and with me needing extra "attention" due to my metal hip.

On a side note, for the OP, having airline priority check-in can be a huge time saver. When we arrive for check-in there may be 50+ people snaking through the slow moving check-in line, while we never see more than one or two folks ahead of us in the priority line, and usually nobody. That alone can shave a half hour off the check-in time.

I am also on Delta and seems every time, people are arguing that they "should" be allowed in PreCheck line.  My favorite is people trying to bring on their ship box of booze as a carry on.   Sometimes the person at the PreCheck entry is there and sends them back but if not, they are shocked they can't get pass security.  I also have Delta Priority check in and that has increased wait in the past few years.  

Posted (edited)

I certainly think it CAN be done, especially with Priority debark, TSA-pre, and carry-on luggage. With those all in place I would certainly want to be IN my cab/Uber by 7:15-7:20. Would I personally try it? Probably not, at least not without a very solid Plan B. All this stress over a simple plane change in Atlanta on the way home at the same price point? Never.

Edited by jsglow

Decided to bite the bullet, and with moderate extra charge, changed my flight(s). Now leaving FLL at 1:30 leaving me with a leisurely disembarkation. Also changed my FLL arrival from 9pm to 3:30. Worth the expense. 

• Like 1

On 1/4/2024 at 3:13 PM, saltshell said:

Decided to bite the bullet, and with moderate extra charge, changed my flight(s). Now leaving FLL at 1:30 leaving me with a leisurely disembarkation. Also changed my FLL arrival from 9pm to 3:30. Worth the expense. 

In my opinion, you did the smart thing. I am one of these people who has no desire to rush at the end of a cruise......can I make it on time? Is the ship going to be delayed? Etc....etc......etc....I have flown in and out of Ft. Lauderdale multiple, multiple times over years and years.......I would never book a 9:00am flight.....but that is just me. 

• Like 1