Am I wrong

We were on the Celebration last month. We booked back in February of last using a PVP. I told her that I was bringing my infant and needed all of our rooms next to each other. She booked us and told us we our rooms was next door with a connecting door. I put my infant in a room with my 20 year old because of the kind of offer we had.

After checking in I found out the boys were 20 rooms down. Carnival switched my husband with my infant. This caused my husband to lose the cheers package with our offer. Carnival said they couldn't do anything to fix him losing the package.  They couldn't even give a discount. The reason is because we knew our room numbers because they emailed them to us. 

I felt since the PVP booked us I should have had to check everyone's emails to make sure she did what she said. We had 3 rooms total but none ended up being where she said.

• Like 1

I don't know if they changed the site but this time I couldn't see the other numbers from cruise manager. I couldn't even check in for all the rooms this time. It only had the names listed. 

58 minutes ago, Ideb said:

Could you have just let your husband move into the room with the infant without officially changing it?

Honestly, I thought about that but I was too scared to try.   I thought we would get stopped or something. 

27 minutes ago, kayshalea said:

Honestly, I thought about that but I was too scared to try.   I thought we would get stopped or something. 

I've read that they don't care if you just switch and sleep in a different cabin.

• Like 1

When we book (and we always use our pvp) we immediately get a confirmation email with the cabin #, price paid, etc. on it.  Did you not get one?  Especially if you booked last February, and sailed last month?  As others have stated - you could have gone to the Guest Services desk and just switched cabins - gotten keycards for the other cabins.  Always double-check everything once you book, and keep checking to make sure no changes were made without your consent.  Hope it all worked out, though.

• Like 2

I the future, always have the website in front of you when booking, so you can see the cabins. NCL is strict about the under 21’s, we couldn’t even put our 19 and 20 year olds in a connecting cabin, had to book one of the parents in each on paper.

From CCL website: 

1. Minor Guest Policy: Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own. 

I gather that means to have cabin on their own.  Booking a 20 year old and an infant in 1 cabin doesn't meet CCL's requirement.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

This is an unpopular opinion but this is why I always book myself. I had an issue where a PVP messed up a simple thing and wouldn’t correct it. 

There is nothing a PvP can do that I can’t. But they can mess things up for sure. 

Edited by Hoosierpop
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, pe4all said:

From CCL website: 

1. Minor Guest Policy: Guests are required to be 21 years of age (on embarkation day) to travel on their own. 

I gather that means to have cabin on their own.  Booking a 20 year old and an infant in 1 cabin doesn't meet CCL's requirement.

Here's the part of the policy that applies in the OP's case.

Where minor guests can be booked in relation to relative or guardian:

• Guests 12 and younger
    If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older) traveling in the balcony stateroom with them. 
  • Guests 13 - 17 years of age
    Can be separated by up to 3 staterooms from a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older).
  • Guests 18 – 20 years of age
    Do not have any restrictions and may book whatever location they prefer.

It seems that the infant should not have been booked in the room with the 20 year old since they were not across the hall or next door. But the OP should have known from the beginning what their room numbers were unless they booked a category guarantee. Doesn't seem like that's what happened though.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Hoosierpop said:

This is an unpopular opinion but this is why I always book myself. I had an issue where a PVP messed up a simple thing and wouldn’t correct it. 

There is nothing a PvP can do that I can’t. But they can mess things up for sure. 

Years ago I used a TA then booked our Carnival cruises myself after the restart. I then found an amazing PVP who has been invaluable to us. When the Freedom caught on fire a couple days before we were supposed to be on it, she quickly switched us to Mardi Gras, which was nearly sold out. If I had to wait on hold with Carnival to switch it myself, chances are it may have been to late to grab a room and we would have been out of luck. All PVPs are definitely not the same though, so happy I found a great one.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)

Yeah the unexpected circumstances, like a ship going out of service suddenly or the long and drawn out COVID shutdown with cruises being booked and cancelled and booked and cancelled for years - that's when having a PVP or good TA is invaluable, because dealing with the standard Carnival customer service was horrific. 

Edited by mz-s
  • Like 5

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, Ideb said:

I've read that they don't care if you just switch and sleep in a different cabin.

It seems the issue here is that the offer code probably included drinks on board for a companion, so whoever was booked in the same cabin would get the Cheers package.  Once hubby was moved to the other room to accommodate the minor policy, the Cheers package was lost.  Booking him originally with the infant wouldn't have granted him the Cheers package either.

Edited by StephPS79
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, pe4all said:

From CCL website: 

You are correct.  I missed that.  

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, pe4all said:

From CCL website: 

I was referring to this policy: 

• Guests 12 and younger
    If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older) traveling in the balcony stateroom with them. 

I understand the original posters concern is a little different since she is claiming a bait and switch was done to her family.

Edited by Purvis1231
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

I was referring to this policy: 

• Guests 12 and younger
    If the relative or guardian insists on booking separate staterooms, minors must either be directly across the hall or next door. Guests 12 and under may not be assigned to a balcony stateroom without a relative or guardian (25 years of age or older) traveling in the balcony stateroom with them. 

I understand the original posters concern is a little different since she is claiming a bait and switch was done to her family.

Either way, the 20 yr/infant needed to be linked to the parents' so the OP would have have access to both of them.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, pe4all said:

When we book (and we always use our pvp) we immediately get a confirmation email with the cabin #, price paid, etc. on it.  Did you not get one?  Especially if you booked last February, and sailed last month?  As others have stated - you could have gone to the Guest Services desk and just switched cabins - gotten keycards for the other cabins.  Always double-check everything once you book, and keep checking to make sure no changes were made without your consent.  Hope it all worked out, though.

I only got the emails for my room. I should have had everyone send me their emails. We booked with the same person but did it together in one call so we knew we were together.  The room number was off by one digit. They should have been in 5380 and they were in 5480.

2 minutes ago, kayshalea said:

I only got the emails for my room. I should have had everyone send me their emails. We booked with the same person but did it together in one call so we knew we were together.  The room number was off by one digit. They should have been in 5380 and they were in 5480.

That's too bad but there's quite a bit of difference between 5380 and 5480

• Like 2

9 hours ago, mjkacmom said:

I the future, always have the website in front of you when booking, so you can see the cabins. NCL is strict about the under 21’s, we couldn’t even put our 19 and 20 year olds in a connecting cabin, had to book one of the parents in each on paper.

Thanks for the advice.  We are looking into doing a NCL. It will be our first time with them. 

8 hours ago, pe4all said:

From CCL website: 

When we talked to a manager they said we could be up to 3 doors away. It was just no more rooms near us to put them 3 doors away. That's why they ended up having to switch the names.

Sorry this happened to you. I do encourage you to escalate this to Carnival's guest relations, but I think the most you'll get is a discount on a future cruise. So it's up to you if it's worth the time to invest.

While we shouldn't have to, it is a good lesson to always check behind the PVP or travel agent.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1