Live From Nova South America Grand Voyage

JSR

On 1/29/2024 at 11:40 AM, JSR said:

@DavisFLSt8 I don’t drink beer however, I’ll ask around. I know my husband has had different local beers in port. In Alaska he also had different ones in port. I’ll ask our fav bartender as he will know. 

I was wondering about draft beers too.  My father loves Guinness, but can't stand it out of a can or bottle.  He isn't really into cocktails.  All the brochures talk about is beer, wine, and cocktails, but I can't find any info about specifics.  Also, I asked about the bathrooms earlier, but I saw later in the thread, that my question was already answered.  Thanks!  And thanks for all the help and updates.  You're the best for sharing your adventure.  Glad you made it past the 14 day mark!

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 8:37 AM, JSR said:

@Kalscruise Having been to Alaska 3 times (land and sea), I recommend layers. Weather can change multiple times throughout the day. 

The Marquee is comfortable if you dress appropriately as they have intense heaters and blankets available. There is also a wind barrier on one side. We have eaten there on several cold nights and afternoons. As for the bars, this is personal choice. I chose not however, I Scottish friends have not missed a single mid day champagne at the pool bar. Today while I had a warm sweater there was a gent having coffee at the pool bar in shorts and t shirt. The aft bar on deck 10,  I believe called the dusk bar, has a cover and I have seen people there everyday. Again, with the option for indoor bars on cold days I would find sitting still outside hard. 

As for viewing glaciers, etc. what we did was wonder outside then when were cold we went inside, a lot of back and forth, again clothes and personal tolerance make a difference. My husband is always warm so he is outside with a lot less clothes than I. 

Thank you JSR...  I tend to run cold so hoping double socks, boots and those foot warmers you snap and put in your socks,  if necessary will make it 'fun' ..  Alaska in May!   Can't wait.  Looking forward to giving it a go for at least 1 in every bar!

@BBGrace273 I now know someone that is in a cabin with a bath tub if you still need photos.

My husband says he thinks there is Stella on tap but js not positive. No Guiness on tap on this cruise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kalscruise said:

Thank you JSR...  I tend to run cold so hoping double socks, boots and those foot warmers you snap and put in your socks,  if necessary will make it 'fun' ..  Alaska in May!   Can't wait.  Looking forward to giving it a go for at least 1 in every bar!

Just got back from Marquee and it was super hot! It needs tweaking to be usable in different locales. Needs fans for hotter climates. 

7 hours ago, BBGrace273 said:

My father loves Guinness, but can't stand it out of a can or bottle.

My taste may not be as sophisticated as his, but – while the 'export' product in the bottle is indeed a completely different brew – the Guinness Draft in the cans [with the nitrogen gizmo] is the same to me as the draft in a bar.  The only difference is you aren't in a real Irish bar [kind of like why hot dogs never taste as good without a baseball game in front of them...]

• Like 2

11 hours ago, sea bright said:

Silversea doesn't usually have any tap beer. In our 20 day segment i didn't see any tap beer on Nova - just canned and bottled and very little local beer.

Thanks for letting me know. 🙂

On 2/27/2024 at 9:23 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

My taste may not be as sophisticated as his, but – while the 'export' product in the bottle is indeed a completely different brew – the Guinness Draft in the cans [with the nitrogen gizmo] is the same to me as the draft in a bar.  The only difference is you aren't in a real Irish bar [kind of like why hot dogs never taste as good without a baseball game in front of them...]

Yeah, he can tell the difference. He'll deal. 🙂

On 2/27/2024 at 8:56 PM, JSR said:

@BBGrace273 I now know someone that is in a cabin with a bath tub if you still need photos.

My husband says he thinks there is Stella on tap but js not positive. No Guiness on tap on this cruise. 

Would love that, yes please, and thanks! Hmmm, he's ok with Stella. That'll have to do!  🙂

On 2/27/2024 at 3:14 PM, BBGrace273 said:

I was wondering about draft beers too.  My father loves Guinness, but can't stand it out of a can or bottle.  He isn't really into cocktails.  All the brochures talk about is beer, wine, and cocktails, but I can't find any info about specifics.  Also, I asked about the bathrooms earlier, but I saw later in the thread, that my question was already answered.  Thanks!  And thanks for all the help and updates.  You're the best for sharing your adventure.  Glad you made it past the 14 day mark!

I was on the Nova for 32 days in November, so I can only answer about then. As a beer aficionado I was disappointed. Definitely, no tap beer, no IPA’s, and no local beers in the SALT bar which was a surprise as they usually stock local beers. I asked the F&B manager and he said we’ll try and get some before the TA. The bartender and server at SALT bar were frustrated too. Perhaps in the states they were able to order a greater variety. I did survive though, and had a great trip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 2/23/2024 at 4:45 PM, JSR said:

This the information I know fir making arrangements. @flyers

You must obtain a Visitor Request Form from Silversea. the names, nationalities, driver's license, and passport information of the guests. You should contact specialservices@silversea.com as soon as possible or call Silversea. Some special service reps are better than others so best to try again if you don’t get the help you need. 

Pleased to say that we have now received permission to board on the 8th. We are a party of 5 and wondering which restaurant on board would be the best for lunch. Not so keen for a buffet with our guest  but is Atlantide open for lunch on Port days ?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Fletcher said:

@JSR Anything to say about Manaus?

@Fletcher I visit Manaus more often and should you need any information, just ask. In advance it is hot and humid. 

The visits I like most: Teatro Amazonas and neighborhood square. Museu da Amazônia – MUSA; it is a park and the guided tour is well worth and there is the tower to climb.

Museu do Seringal Vila Paraíso a bit far from downtown. Should you have time, please check if the guided tour will be in English (I do not have a recent photo).

Should you have time: Palácio Rio Negro.

Some pictures from in July 2023.

image.thumb.jpeg.364960a185eca014422ba77b007240ac.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.b388b80af47052f96641e1edd90a7a86.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.55d46b407807b3b5598428b858f17bd8.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Lirio, is that you? You look different from the last time I saw you in Svalbard, all bundled up in your winter clothes. I guess the tower climb would be even more difficult in a Silversea parka!

Thanks for the pictures. I always enjoy your posts.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, jpalbny said:

Lirio, is that you? You look different from the last time I saw you in Svalbard, all bundled up in your winter clothes. I guess the tower climb would be even more difficult in a Silversea parka!

Thanks for the pictures. I always enjoy your posts.

That´s me several years older....59 at the time of the picture and some kilos more. I am afraid of heights, so I needed 2 trips to Manaus to succeed climbing the 242 steps and the 42 meters high.....

• Like 2

When we visited Manaus, maybe 7 or 8 years ago, the Chronicles warned of a high rate of pickpocketing and not to wear  jewellery or ostentatious symbols of wealth, hide purses and wallets, and be discreet with valuables such as cameras etc. 

As we left the ship the couple in front included a man with a camera round his neck and a fanny pack (I'm guessing it held his wallet), both were wearing Rolex watches and the female was wearing a chunky gold (or at least gold-coloured) necklace. 

I bethought myself that if the pickpockets were active then this couple were an excellent decoy. Made us feel safer. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

@flyers I will look into which restaurants are open on port days and get back to you. 

@fletcher here you go:

Manaus, Brazil

Day 1- What an incredible day. We started with the abbreviated (by us) city tour stopping at the market and driving by the important buildings. We did a private tour with Sardes from Tours by Locals. We did everything that 5 separate ship tours did and more. He arranged for extra help so I could be lifted on and off the wonderful metal boat. The highlight of Manaus is a launching point for exploring the Amazon by small boat. We swam with the dolphins, had lunch at a floating restaurant, hiked up to see the only large lilies in bloom this time of year and saw a monkey as a bonus, Explored January Ecological Park and saw huge congregations of egrets, and so many other species of birds that Sardes pointed out. floating community with a school boat, floating market, school, and visited a private home for coffee. Then proceeded to fish for pirarucu. Then went to the meeting of the rivers. We made it home in time to shower and headed to the Manaus Opera House for a private Silversea concert. This day was an incredible day giving us an insight into life in the Amazon as well as experiencing the tourist highlights.

Silversea hosted a Grand Voyage event at the Manaus Opera House, other Nova guests were able to purchase tickets to the concert as a tour. We arrived to musicians playing, cocktails, and a few appetizers. The Opera House is dark this time of year so arranging for the Chamber Orchestra and Soprano was a treat. Amazing to experience the beautiful concert hall come to life.

Day 2 – The 3 of us split up and each did a separate tour. Nick did the survival jungle hike which he said was interesting and not strenuous, I did the city ship tour by accessible van, and Katie did the Muse Bio Park and music tour. Katie said the guide was not as informative or knowledgeable as the area called for however, the musicians and music was special.  My tour guide was the same one she had as our tours were split between morning and afternoon. My city tour consisted of going to the zoo refuge on a military base to visit animals that were rescued. The animals are mainly confiscated from poachers. If possible the animals are rehabbed and returned to the wild. We went to various neighborhoods and saw different housing situations and vistas. We also drove by the outside of many buildings. It was about my speed after the day before.

Day 3 was a half day and we opted to stay onboard as it was scorching hot.

• Like 4

Day 2 also went across the bridge. This is the only bridge across the Amazon. I forgot the name of the bird that has the hanging nest. The males build the nest and if the female doesn’t like it she cuts it down instead of using it. 

IMG_6850.jpeg

IMG_6864.jpeg

IMG_6872.jpeg

IMG_6888.jpeg

IMG_6889.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

The hanging bird nest... Google says it might be an Oropendola. Does that sound right? 

In many places, it would be some kind of weaver, so that was my first thought. 

Edited by jpalbny

On 2/6/2024 at 12:40 PM, JSR said:

Day time attire is far more casual, I am not the fashion police, just an observer. This maybe attributed the ship having arrived in the hot and humid portion of the cruise. Tonight is formal option so we shall see what we see. I have the obligatory black dress and multiple jackets so I will not be mistaken for chic or note worthy, just compliant, I do however enjoy seeing those that are able to pull of more high fashion or elegance. Everyone seems to be enjoying their ship tours. 

Came back to see if you ever talked about the attire again.  I'm interested because the Vancouver to Japan Nova in September will also be a mix of cool/cold to warm/hot depending on the weather patterns on the days we are there.  Just curious.  I know there have been mentions in a lot of places about every line (except maybe Cunard) becoming more casual as a general rule.  Have there been any super fancy nights?  Will I be OK with just my standard LBD, and maybe some necklace change-ups to make it work?  My Dad with a suit, and then some khaki's and button downs?  How on EARTH do people travel with only a carry-on, and still have a tux and cocktail dress packed?  

On 2/28/2024 at 2:27 PM, sea bright said:

Silversea doesn't usually have any tap beer. In our 20 day segment i didn't see any tap beer on Nova - just canned and bottled and very little local beer.

I agree. I don't remember any bars ever having beers on tap.