Live From Nova South America Grand Voyage

JSR

4 minutes ago, BBGrace273 said:

Came back to see if you ever talked about the attire again.  I'm interested because the Vancouver to Japan Nova in September will also be a mix of cool/cold to warm/hot depending on the weather patterns on the days we are there.  Just curious.  I know there have been mentions in a lot of places about every line (except maybe Cunard) becoming more casual as a general rule.  Have there been any super fancy nights?  Will I be OK with just my standard LBD, and maybe some necklace change-ups to make it work?  My Dad with a suit, and then some khaki's and button downs?  How on EARTH do people travel with only a carry-on, and still have a tux and cocktail dress packed?  

Yes you will be fine with your LBG. You’d be fine with dress slacks and fancy tops. You see everything on formal night. That’s the beauty of the Silver Nova dress code you can be as fancy as you like or just a little dressed up. My husband does not bring a tux. By the last formal night which was around day 40 for us the men at our table (3 of them) wore jackets but no tie. They started out the beginning of the cruise with dinner jackets, black suits and ties etc. I didn’t wear my lbd but instead a nice floral. I realize I could have brought one back dress and several jackets instead of several formals. We also skipped some formal nights and went to Marquee or dined in the room. 71  days for us requires some nights in. I have done Alaska 3 times on other lines and have found it to be the most casual as everyone is already hauling boots, layers, rain gear etc. Being organized about having layers and rain gear so that you can embrace ‘no bad weather, just bad clothes’ is far more important than  what you wear to dinner as you are far more likely to miss out if you’re too cold, wet or hot when you experiencing Alaska or Japan. Better to pay for expensive wet cleaning then haul another suitcase of clothes IMHO. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jpalbny said:

The hanging bird nest... Google says it might be an Oropendola. Does that sound right? 

In many places, it would be some kind of weaver, so that was my first thought. 

Thank you, that sounds correct. Let’s go with Oropendola. 

15 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

As we left the ship the couple in front included a man with a camera round his neck and a fanny pack (I'm guessing it held his wallet), both were wearing Rolex watches and the female was wearing a chunky gold (or at least gold-coloured) necklace. 

Good advice! In sketchy areas ways stay close to someone wearing lots of ostentatious jewelry and displaying valuables. You'll be safer.

• Haha 1

I think JP has the right hanging nest. There are apparently weavers around the Amazon but the photos of the nest look different to your image but the pictures for the oropendola look identical.

There are also pantanal birds that build hanging nests but totally different to the other 2.

However if it is then your guide was wrong about the nests. In the Amazon it would be the green oropendola or a crested oropendola ( which has recently been reclassified and is no longer called an oropendola ). However with both of them there is a dominant male in the group who breeds with most of the females so unlikely he builds a nest for every female he breeds with.

6 hours ago, JSR said:

@flyers I will look into which restaurants are open on port days and get back to you. 

@fletcher here you go:

Manaus, Brazil

Day 1- What an incredible day. We started with the abbreviated (by us) city tour stopping at the market and driving by the important buildings. We did a private tour with Sardes from Tours by Locals. We did everything that 5 separate ship tours did and more. He arranged for extra help so I could be lifted on and off the wonderful metal boat. The highlight of Manaus is a launching point for exploring the Amazon by small boat. We swam with the dolphins, had lunch at a floating restaurant, hiked up to see the only large lilies in bloom this time of year and saw a monkey as a bonus, Explored January Ecological Park and saw huge congregations of egrets, and so many other species of birds that Sardes pointed out. floating community with a school boat, floating market, school, and visited a private home for coffee. Then proceeded to fish for pirarucu. Then went to the meeting of the rivers. We made it home in time to shower and headed to the Manaus Opera House for a private Silversea concert. This day was an incredible day giving us an insight into life in the Amazon as well as experiencing the tourist highlights.

Silversea hosted a Grand Voyage event at the Manaus Opera House, other Nova guests were able to purchase tickets to the concert as a tour. We arrived to musicians playing, cocktails, and a few appetizers. The Opera House is dark this time of year so arranging for the Chamber Orchestra and Soprano was a treat. Amazing to experience the beautiful concert hall come to life.

Day 2 – The 3 of us split up and each did a separate tour. Nick did the survival jungle hike which he said was interesting and not strenuous, I did the city ship tour by accessible van, and Katie did the Muse Bio Park and music tour. Katie said the guide was not as informative or knowledgeable as the area called for however, the musicians and music was special.  My tour guide was the same one she had as our tours were split between morning and afternoon. My city tour consisted of going to the zoo refuge on a military base to visit animals that were rescued. The animals are mainly confiscated from poachers. If possible the animals are rehabbed and returned to the wild. We went to various neighborhoods and saw different housing situations and vistas. We also drove by the outside of many buildings. It was about my speed after the day before.

Day 3 was a half day and we opted to stay onboard as it was scorching hot.

Ual!!!You did a great tour! 

3 hours ago, JSR said:

We also skipped some formal nights and went to Marquee or dined in the room. 71  days for us requires some nights in. I have done Alaska 3 times on other lines and have found it to be the most casual  Better to pay for expensive wet cleaning then haul another suitcase of clothes IMHO. 

What restaurants are you supposed to dress up for formal nights then? I didn't realize there were spots where it isn't necessary besides room service. (Or is it just everywhere other than Marquee?) 

New question thread too. Is the sauna and thermal plunge pool included, or do they cost money because they are in the Spa? (And honestly, no rush! I don't leave until Sept, and you need to enjoy your time on your cruise!) Like I said before, you're the best!

Posted (edited)

@drron29 I wouldn’t be surprised that our ship tour guide was inaccurate- though probably not intentional. He did say males built the nest and did not specify if it was the matting male. 

@BBGrace273 formal is optional on the Silver Nova. However, my husband had sandals on one formal optional night and was passing through Dolce Vita, ran into friends and sat down to chat for a minute and was sent home to change shoes. It is the only dress code mention we have heard in 50+ days. La Dame the up charge French restaurant requires a jacket every night. Formal night is what you make it. A collard shirt for men will do, however I would recommend a sports coat at least if you want to fit in with the majority. Marquee you can wear short pants though it’s rare and will be rare in Alaska as it is too cold for shorts at dinner which is not the case in the Amazon. Really bring a few outfits you’d wear to a nicer restaurant in a big city and you’ll be fine. Bring a gown if you’re looking for an excuse to wear one. It’s really your call. 7 of us had dinner together tonight and we all said how glad we are for the relaxed dress code especially after 50 Days. 

there is no charge to use the spa facilities you mentioned. Only charges are for spa or beauty salon treatments. 

Edited by JSR
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, BBGrace273 said:

Not according to their website. Is this first hand experience? Thanks for the help!

Yes, I sailed her back in November and there are some old posts about it too. When Nova came into the fleet HQ put an email out and specifically said formal nights on Nova are optional.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Yes, I sailed her back in November and there are some old posts about it too. When Nova came into the fleet HQ put an email out and specifically said formal nights on Nova are optional.

And this is confirmed to extend to Ray when she debuts.

• Like 1

Formal optional on the Nova. However, in our experience, the no shorts after 6 pm dress code was strictly enforced. On the first night of our 20 day Lima to BA trip in January we still did not have all of our luggage by the 7pm sailaway (a first in our 25+ years with Silversea). All of my husband's long pants were in the missing luggage, but as no one could tell us when the luggage would arrive,  we headed out for a drink. In the Panorama (the third bar we tried, but the first we could get a seat in) my husband was told he needed long pants in order to be served. We explained about the lack of luggage and after a fair amount of  discussion with multiple waitstaff we were eventually served. Throughout  the cruise we saw people in shorts turned away at multiple bars. 

• Like 1

2/29/24 Parintins, Brazil. Our last stop in the Amazon. We tendered to a boat which we then embarked on walked across and then disembarked on shore and up a hill to waiting pedi bikes and buses. A hot and fun day. Transportation on an accessible pedi bike. 400 and some cruise passengers head to the practice stadium of the Red Bull to see a one hour Boi Bumba Show. Once a year in June there is a competition between the Red Bull and the Blue Bull, the two groups perform in a stadium in front of 35,000 people and are judged with one winner. When cruise ships are in port one of the two groups puts on a performance at the practice space. We saw the red group. Nick and I also had a city tour on two pedi bikes with a 15 year old high school student guide. She took us by the blue school and the stadium as well as the obligatory churches.

• Like 1

Annoyed to angry. We just spent $1800each to rebook flights and will know arrive home late and probably exhausted. 

Needless to say they have managed to upset an otherwise happy and excited to return group of Grand Voyagers. 

Did they just discover this? Weren’t the ships scheduled months ago? Should have added an overnight way  ahead of time and we would have all planned to disembark on March 16. 

The whole thing is what you would expect of a 14 year old. 

My husband suggested we all show up on deck for the filming in the nude!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 7

32 minutes ago, JSR said:

My husband suggested we all show up on deck for the filming in the nude!!!

Do that. But don't forget it's rude to point. 

The bare-faced cheek of it. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

The irony is I am a RCI cheerleader. They have brought inclusiveness and wheelchair accessibility to Silversea. The Nova is light and airy and has lots of positives IMHO. This episode is just plain dumb. 

Nor sure which is worse:

- did they realize they would inconvenience and alienate people and not care?

or 

-did they not realize they would upset people? 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JSR said:

The irony is I am a RCI cheerleader. They have brought inclusiveness and wheelchair accessibility to Silversea. The Nova is light and airy and has lots of positives IMHO. This episode is just plain dumb. 

Nor sure which is worse:

a - did they realize they would inconvenience and alienate people and not care?

or 

b - did they not realize they would upset people? 

or

c - did RCG tell them to do it?  Why would you think Silversea is still calling the shots after so much evidence that 'Miami' is dictating everything?

38 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

or

c - did RCG tell them to do it?  Why would you think Silversea is still calling the shots after so much evidence that 'Miami' is dictating everything?

Defiantly C as well as A or B. I doubt Silversea initiated this idea. 

Hard to believe that a company could treat its customers with such contempt. But it's not really Silversea any longer, is it? Strange how we cleave to the brand even though only the name remains unchanged. 

• Like 1