A few notes about the Discovery Jan 6-13

14 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Looks like this is definitely turning into a live from thread .. so will add a few notes in case there’s anyone reading this that hasn’t followed my live from thread from October. 

The beds are firm n this ship and not the normal Princess beds that we’ve had on other ships.  They are comfortable, just not super comfortable.

We booked this last minute so picked a wonderful location but I do sleep better when the head of my bed faces the other direction and there were none like that available when I booked.  Perhaps that is more in my head but I found myself sleeping the other direction last night to fall asleep.  I’m going to grab a blanket from up top or ask my room steward for an extra balnket for tonight.  
Our room steward brought us some appetizers last night before dinner consisting of some little bread rounds with shrimp, with prosciutto and one with sun dried tomato and olive.  They were quite tasty.  
The Discovery always set itself aside by serving only nice wine glasses.  I can only imagine that was a costly venture as they now do serve wine from those heavy duty wine glasses unless you specifically ask for a nice thin rimmed glass.  The bar staff is most accommodating.  I tell them if we don’t return them, they can charge our account $25 for each glass.  We always return them!   
I’ve mentioned already that the food has been fantastic.  There are a few changes, though.  I was surprised to see the edamame beans are already shelled and there was no pickled ginger at the sushi place. Definitely not a deal breaker for us .. just a change, is all.  Also, my concerto pasta wasn’t topped with Chilean sea bass as was on the Majestic at The Catch!  There was, instead, langostino, and not a complaint as the meal was superb!  We did split an extra appetizer so, definitely got our fill of seafood.  I didn’t even think about that until we were well out the door.

@RLK33853the formal nights are the first full sea day (yesterday) and again on day 6, so the second to last day while in Mexico. 

Thevstaff has been just amazing!  I’m going to start my list for my survey.  Many of them that were so impressive on our last sailing from a couple of months ago have been promoted.  They all seem like a happy group and that is reflected through the service they offer.

The officers engagement with the passengers is impressive!  We are in Cabo today but not until 2 PM.  I don’t much ever get off in Cabo so, will probably hit up the future cruise desk.  Late this aftrenoon, there is a Folkloric Show in the theater so we will definitely be hitting that up!  Another wonderful day onboard the most gorgeous Discovery Princess. 

Cole, our cruise director and the ever so gorgeous, Josie, his assistant!  

IMG_1534.jpeg

That’s a great photo. I’m on the April 3 solar eclipse cruise so I hope he will be there too. 

Tom😀

• Like 1

5 hours ago, nini said:

@Cruise Raider @Thrak @New2cruise2022 :

I have to say that I am always confounded when I see a Sommelier and a "Wine expert" drinking out of stemless wine glasses or stubby decorated Libby-type glasses! I belong to a wine group and time after time, I see these two women drinking out of improper wine vessels. It is a fun wine group who meets and we have a wine theme each time. And this is what would inevitably happen each time. I offer that I am the ONLY one who brings a Riedel or Spieglau wine glass (you bring your own glass).

I’ve used those glasses before but never purchased any. Any suggestions as to where to find them at a good price?

Thanks!

Tom😀

1 hour ago, trbarton said:

I’ve used those glasses before but never purchased any. Any suggestions as to where to find them at a good price?

Thanks!

Tom😀

I often find them at TJ Max, Marshalls, Home Goods. I also hunt for them at thrift stores like Salvation Army and Goodwill. You need to feel the rims (lip) and they will feel super thin and not rounded. If you carefully look on the base of the glass, you can see the brand engraved... Riedel or Spiegelau. Some other brands are also now imitating these brands and doing  a great job too.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, trbarton said:

That’s a great photo. I’m on the April 3 solar eclipse cruise so I hope he will be there too. 

Tom😀

He won’t be on our April 3rd cruise.  Kristoff will be on the Discovery as the Cd then.  
But yes, Cole has been amazing!  

8 hours ago, trbarton said:

Thanks!

Tom😀

Tom, you can find Riedel glasses pretty much everywhere.  Even Target carries them from time to time.  I would just wait for a great Christmas sale at one of the major department stores.  You can get something close at Ross or Marshall’s, though for very little cost.  Just look for the really thin rim and the shape to go properly with either red or white.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I even think soda taste better in a nice glass. But I would be way too embarrassed to ask for that. 

Of note, we were on Celebrity last April and they served all of their beverages out of Riedel glasses.  They even had Riedel water glasses in the MDR.  I didn’t even know the Riedel made water glasses or martini and margarita glasses, for that matter.  

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, New2cruise2022 said:

I even think soda taste better in a nice glass. But I would be way too embarrassed to ask for that. 

Duplicate post 

Edited by Cruise Raider

The weather was just perfect in Cabo yesterday.  We don’t really go on tenders much anymore so, we stayed onboard. Usually, there is not a seat to be had in the public spaces onboard while people are waiting for their tender number to be called but we didn’t see that so much yesterday.   I’m not sure but perhaps a lot of people stayed onboard because w didn’t arrive there until 2 PM.  

We went to GiGis for lunch.  At times, it is crowded and there were a fair number of people in there but still had a nice table by the window for us.  We split a rollata and a pizza. Wow!  The food was great!  

We went to the future cruise desk and booked a couple more sailings, both being on the Majestic.  I looked over their list of discounted cruises for onboard bookings but there was nothing that interested me too much, well at least ones we haven’t already booked previously.  There were a couple of cruises I’ve had my eye on but was out of FCDs so waited until we were onboard to book them.  I was also hoping for some discounts on but those two cruises were not on the list.  Still, cruising is our favorite form of travel and prices are up all over the place so, what are we going to do?

The folkloric show in the theater was outstanding!  While we always attend that show when offered, this one was the best one yet!  The talent and costumes were spectacular.  Because we got into port at 2 PM and the show was at 5 PM, the show wasn’t well attended.  That’s unfortunate but I know they have to plan these shows for when we are in port.  

After that, we went to the PES lounge for a light dinner.  It really did not disappoint!  They had both vegetable and pork pot stickers and vegetable and tuna maki rolls, chicken salad, fruit cups, chheses, nuts and breadsticks / bread rolls.  It was one of the best assortments that I’ve seen.  We stayed to watch the comedian, Ken Boyd.  He was really funny .. and the audience gave him all the material he needed.  His shows were only 30 minutes long but he had 3 shows that night.  

On our way out, we listened to that great duo.  I did find out that they are Cola Sounds!  They get an A++++ in my book and I told them so.  I will definitely include them in my survey.  

We headed back to our cabin early as I haven’t slept the best on the first two nights onboard.  There really is something to it for me for that the bed faces in the right direction for my best sleep.  I asked the room steward for a twin sized duvet so I could put my pillows at the foot of the bed.  I slept like a baby.  Plus, the queen sized duvet under me made the mattress oh so comfy!  

So, there is music playing from the deck below us and does so all night.  I love it but my DH is not a fan and used the crew chat to ask them to turn it off or down.  We will see what they do but like I said, I love it!  It feels more like cruise to me while having music out on the balcony.  By the way, it’s only on the port side.  
Speaking of the port side, we normally stay on the starboard side.  I’m not even sure why, we just do.  So, we are sitting out here on our balcony and it’s not that hot humid weather as we normally experience in Mazatlan.  It’s so pleasant .. I will have to remember to sail down here in January more often.  
So, as we are sitting here we just got the show of a lifetime with the whales.  One came straight up out of the water and made a huge splash down!  Wow!  Port side .. music and a show!  ❤️❤️❤️

Another great beginning to a fabulous day in paradise.  

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Host CJSKIDS said:

@Cruise Raider glad to see you are having another wonderful cruise!!  I'll have to live vicariously through you until I get to sail again.  Enjoy!

We do cruise quite a bit .. mostly because Covid taught us that life is so fragile and there are no guarantees for a tomorrow.  But, I never expected this cruise to be as phenomenal as it is turning out to be.  It just doesn’t get better than this!  

IMG_1599.jpeg

• Like 8

@Cruise Raider It is great to see that as travelled and experienced on cruising as you are that you continue to enjoy all of the little details and experience life without entitled expectations. 

Thanks for sharing! I can’t wait for our trip in 6 weeks as we have the same ship and sailing as you. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Tom, you can find Riedel glasses pretty much everywhere.  Even Target carries them from time to time.  I would just wait for a great Christmas sale at one of the major department stores.  You can get something close at Ross or Marshall’s, though for very little cost.  Just look for the really thin rim and the shape to go properly with either red or white.  

which is better? - a $50 wine in a (deleted)

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, voljeep said:

True, even Target has them often and has some sales. Take a look at Post #54. Also, there are quite a few shapes and sizes. I enjoy swirling room in my glass for aeration purposes.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

"So, there is music playing from the deck below us and does so all night.  I love it but my DH is not a fan and used the crew chat to ask them to turn it off or down.  We will see what they do but like I said, I love it!  It feels more like cruise to me while having music out on the balcony.  By the way, it’s only on the port side."

Thanks for the report. Can you please provide more information about where the noise is coming from, what cabin you are in and why is it on the port side only? Thanks, we have some bookings on future cruises that maybe close to your location.

Edited by Slowdining

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

The weather was just perfect in Cabo yesterday.  We don’t really go on tenders much anymore so, we stayed onboard. Usually, there is not a seat to be had in the public spaces onboard while people are waiting for their tender number to be called but we didn’t see that so much yesterday.   I’m not sure but perhaps a lot of people stayed onboard because w didn’t arrive there until 2 PM.  

We went to GiGis for lunch.  At times, it is crowded and there were a fair number of people in there but still had a nice table by the window for us.  We split a rollata and a pizza. Wow!  The food was great!  

We went to the future cruise desk and booked a couple more sailings, both being on the Majestic.  I looked over their list of discounted cruises for onboard bookings but there was nothing that interested me too much, well at least ones we haven’t already booked previously.  There were a couple of cruises I’ve had my eye on but was out of FCDs so waited until we were onboard to book them.  I was also hoping for some discounts on but those two cruises were not on the list.  Still, cruising is our favorite form of travel and prices are up all over the place so, what are we going to do?

The folkloric show in the theater was outstanding!  While we always attend that show when offered, this one was the best one yet!  The talent and costumes were spectacular.  Because we got into port at 2 PM and the show was at 5 PM, the show wasn’t well attended.  That’s unfortunate but I know they have to plan these shows for when we are in port.  

After that, we went to the PES lounge for a light dinner.  It really did not disappoint!  They had both vegetable and pork pot stickers and vegetable and tuna maki rolls, chicken salad, fruit cups, chheses, nuts and breadsticks / bread rolls.  It was one of the best assortments that I’ve seen.  We stayed to watch the comedian, Ken Boyd.  He was really funny .. and the audience gave him all the material he needed.  His shows were only 30 minutes long but he had 3 shows that night.  

On our way out, we listened to that great duo.  I did find out that they are Cola Sounds!  They get an A++++ in my book and I told them so.  I will definitely include them in my survey.  

We headed back to our cabin early as I haven’t slept the best on the first two nights onboard.  There really is something to it for me for that the bed faces in the right direction for my best sleep.  I asked the room steward for a twin sized duvet so I could put my pillows at the foot of the bed.  I slept like a baby.  Plus, the queen sized duvet under me made the mattress oh so comfy!  

So, there is music playing from the deck below us and does so all night.  I love it but my DH is not a fan and used the crew chat to ask them to turn it off or down.  We will see what they do but like I said, I love it!  It feels more like cruise to me while having music out on the balcony.  By the way, it’s only on the port side.  
Speaking of the port side, we normally stay on the starboard side.  I’m not even sure why, we just do.  So, we are sitting out here on our balcony and it’s not that hot humid weather as we normally experience in Mazatlan.  It’s so pleasant .. I will have to remember to sail down here in January more often.  
So, as we are sitting here we just got the show of a lifetime with the whales.  One came straight up out of the water and made a huge splash down!  Wow!  Port side .. music and a show!  ❤️❤️❤️

Another great beginning to a fabulous day in paradise.  

You say the music went on all night. Is that 24/7 or just till midnight or do. We generally turn in around 1am or so and always sail in aft suites and have never encountered music that late. Sailing on the Crown out of SF in 2 weeks 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

Approaching Mazatlan

IMG_1596.jpeg

Beautiful pic😊

Have you seen a soda kiosk by the Wake view Bar?  If so, is it for everyone or package people?

Thanks for your great updates, we will be on eclipse cruise.

Diana

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CulverCityCruisers said:

Any MDR Menu photos of what is being served now?

Actually, we don’t really go to the dining room when we have the premier package as a rule.  However,  I will try to remember to pop by the take a photo of a menu or two.  

BtW, I think I saw you in a post about good whiskey.  Guess what we found at the Retreat Bar today?  

3 hours ago, voljeep said:

Rombauer is great in any glass but a lesser wine in a good glass is better than a great wine in a cheap glass.  😆 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Slowdining said:

"So, there is music playing from the deck below us and does so all night.  I love it but my DH is not a fan and used the crew chat to ask them to turn it off or down.  We will see what they do but like I said, I love it!  It feels more like cruise to me while having music out on the balcony.  By the way, it’s only on the port side."

Thanks for the report. Can you please provide more information about where the noise is coming from, what cabin you are in and why is it on the port side only? Thanks, we have some bookings on future cruises that maybe close to your location.

We are midship on the port side on the Emerald deck.  We have been on both starboard and port side on this ship several times and the port side is always the one with the music and yes, it is all night.  Even with the balcony door closed, you can hear it faintly from inside your cabin.  It does not bother me in the very least and I actually like it.  
My DH may not hear me always but he can hear that music.  lol!  

It is coming from the deck below right outside of the Catch by Rudi.  We were in a cabin right down the hall from our current cabin back in April 2022 and my DH complained of the same issue.  But, we’ve never heard it on the starboard side.  
And again, I love it and I’m a light sleeper.  It just does t bother me one bit but it’s constant and loud sudden noises are what keep me awake.  

Edited by Cruise Raider

2 hours ago, memoak said:

You say the music went on all night. Is that 24/7 or just till midnight or do. We generally turn in around 1am or so and always sail in aft suites and have never encountered music that late. Sailing on the Crown out of SF in 2 weeks 

We have never heard it on any other ship except on the Discovery and we’ve only ever heard it when our room is on the port side midship. 
We are also on the Crown in earl Feb .. I’m sure it won’t be on that ship.  
It more so suits the gorgeous weather are experiencing on this sailing.  

1 hour ago, Fun4sure said:

Beautiful pic😊

Have you seen a soda kiosk by the Wake view Bar?  If so, is it for everyone or package people?

Thanks for your great updates, we will be on eclipse cruise.

Diana

No, we haven’t been there so looks like now we are on a mission.  
We’ve been there in the past but don’t drink soda so not sure we’ve seen any soda machines. 

Let me try to get back there .. I will check out what you are taking about. 

16 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

No, we haven’t been there so looks like now we are on a mission.  
We’ve been there in the past but don’t drink soda so not sure we’ve seen any soda machines. 

Let me try to get back there .. I will check out what you are taking about. 

Thank you, I appreciate you looking😊

• Like 1

16 hours ago, trbarton said:

Tom😀

Nope. Kristoff will be the CD on that cruise.