Sapphire adrift in the South Atlantic!

ukbballfan

Posted (edited)

2 knots sais the tracker apps. Electric power is ok so Diesel works  it seems?
How can both electric engines not work?

Edited by EDVM96

24 minutes ago, ukbballfan said:

Engine has went out…they are working on it but for now we’re just drifting about. We are on our way to the Falklands. 

You are very lucky that the outage didn't occur in the Drake Passage!!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Petersonfcu said:

You are very lucky that the outage didn't occur in the Drake Passage!!

But if you miss Antarctica that will be sad.  We did this cruise on the Sapphire last February and it was one of the best trips we have ever taken.

Captains announcement…electrical problem with the generator that powers the engines…had to kill all power while being serviced…says we’re fixed and should resume shortl. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
49 minutes ago, ukbballfan said:

Captains announcement…electrical problem with the generator that powers the engines…had to kill all power while being serviced…says we’re fixed and should resume shortl. 

Hopefully that's the case and you are back up and running soon! 🤞 On the bright side, the seas look pretty calm where you are currently at as compared to the wave action south of the Falkland Islands.

image.png.8022fa03cf54d2feb8e19811981b3330.png

Windy "waves" weather forecast

But it does look like you may be delayed getting into Port Stanley.  Your original time looks like it was for 8 am and now the new estimate is 11 am. Hope that's wrong.

image.thumb.png.a978261cd830e7f5f2f6102c3c8355fe.png

SAPPHIRE PRINCESS Current Location (cruisemapper.com)

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, bostonbull2001 said:

Lordy….folks this was a brief interruption!  Capt had this under control.  The reaction here is ridiculous!  Social media showing itself once again at being alarmist.  I am on this cruise right now!

Glad to hear the ship is doing fine. We’re on the next 2 cruises after this one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bostonbull2001 said:

Lordy….folks this was a brief interruption!  Capt had this under control.  The reaction here is ridiculous!  Social media showing itself once again at being alarmist.  I am on this cruise right now!

I don't see the alarmist posts here. I appreciate the notice from the OP and you. I'm glad things are now under control. Have a great rest of the cruise. 👍

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, ChangeOrder said:

This is a cool site I hadn't seen before. Thanks for sharing this. And they have an app! Adding this to my cruising folder 😄

Windy definitely comes in handy when you’re on a cruise and curious about weather conditions anywhere in the world. 😁

On 1/7/2024 at 10:38 PM, Honolulu Blue said:

I don't see the alarmist posts here. I appreciate the notice from the OP and you. I'm glad things are now under control. Have a great rest of the cruise. 👍

The title of the post is alarmist. Exclamation mark and all!

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Aggie83 said:

The title of the post is alarmist. Exclamation mark and all!

Maybe, but it was not (at the time) untruthful.  If I were on a cruise where we were at sea and all engine-powered forward motion was stopped, I'd be alarmed.  Maybe enough to drop a gratuitous exclamation point or two!!!! 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Honolulu Blue said:

Maybe, but it was not (at the time) untruthful.  If I were on a cruise where we were at sea and all engine-powered forward motion was stopped, I'd be alarmed.  Maybe enough to drop a gratuitous exclamation point or two!!!! 😁

And perfect clickbait.

48 minutes ago, Aggie83 said:

And perfect clickbait.

The definition of clickbait is that it uses misleading headlines and exaggerated claims.  Is your statement based on the accusation that OP somehow misled us or exaggerated the situation in their title or that they used an exclamation point?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1