Princess Juneau vs Harv and Marv

cusematt4

Hi all,

We may do a princess Alaska cruise and do not see any princess excursions that stand out.

Has anyone done any princess vs non princess tours in Juneau?  Has anyone done the Harv and Marv whale watching tour?  If so, how does it compare to the Princess offered whale watching tours and other non Princess tours in Alaska?

Are there any Princess or non Princess tours in Juneau that are the most highly acclaimed and rated?

Thanks!

Edited by cusematt4

• cusematt4 changed the title to Princess Juneau vs Harv and Marv

It was a few years ago but we did the Harv and Marv tour and had a great time! Can’t compare to others but we were more than satisfied 

we usually do independent tours, smaller groups than most Princess tours

Harv and Marv is awesome and highly recommended.

Choosing whale watching in Juneau is best done by comparing price and number of people on an individual trip. I prefer a smaller crowd, for example, and will pay the premium for it. Don't give too much thought on sticking with Princess for your excursions in Juneau. It's very safe in terms of getting back to the ship on time.

• Like 1

We've done two Harv n Marvs and each time just 6 passengers and the Captain. There were other excursions out there with 100 + people on big boats straining to get a good look at the whales in Auck Bay. They pick you up as you get off the ship in Juneau.

Always H and M for us. See some whales-point them out to the skipper and he goes there.

Norris

• Like 2

Another vote for Harv and Marv.  We loved our excursion with them and similar to Norris we only had six passengers on the boat.  Our captain got very excited about a pod of orcas and we followed them as they headed toward an island that was full of walruses.  Saw great whale activity too.  We saw the bigger boats that were loaded with people and we were so glad that we were with Harv & Marv.

I highly recommend Alaska Humpback Adventures.  The boat only takes 6, I believe.  When we went, my husband and I were the only ones.  We were picked up at the pier and got a great tour of the area as we drove to where the boat was.  I would definitely choose one of the independent companies over the ship tour for this.

9 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Hi all,

We may do a princess Alaska cruise and do not see any princess excursions that stand out.

Has anyone done any princess vs non princess tours in Juneau?  Has anyone done the Harv and Marv whale watching tour?  If so, how does it compare to the Princess offered whale watching tours and other non Princess tours in Alaska?

Are there any Princess or non Princess tours in Juneau that are the most highly acclaimed and rated?

Thanks!

We’ve been out with Jayleen’s Alaska and it was a fantastic experience. She operates two small boats that take out a maximum of 6 people. It was amazing to be down close to the water level.

We did a Harv and Marv excursion twelve years ago. It was the best whale watching experience we've ever had anywhere. There were three passengers and the captain. We had an awesome experience. 

We went  out with Jayleen’s Alaska last summer and had a great time. She was not our captain but runs a great company. Several years ago, we went with Jayleen when she was working for her dad at Harv and Marv’s. I definitely agree to find a small boat (6 people) for the best experience. 

Not that you probably need another vote for Harv and Marv but here's one any way.  Our first experience was with them in 2012.  My 3 siblings and spouses still talk about (just the 8 of us on the boat) the bubble netting right by the boat that went on for over 30 minutes.  One brother and spouse returned to Alaska last summer and booked with Harv and Marv again.  He came back and said it was even better.  Two humpbacks spent lots of time just swimming around and under the boat looking at the passengers looking at them.  Then a whale breached within 100 feet of the boat.

12 hours ago, cusematt4 said:

Thanks so much.  Does anyone know if there a really good whale watching tour in Juneau coupled with a good salmon bake?  

Most of the time, only cruise lines combine these type of tours. You can book them separately, privately. I have never done a salmon bake (allergic to seafood).

IMO - private whale watching tours are superior (smaller boats, sometimes longer time on the water, etc...). The exception is Gastineau Guiding (Whale Watching and Mendenhall Photo Safari). This is a small group and gets rave reviews all the time. This is booked through the cruise line.

• Like 1

When in Juneau, we always book with Jayleen's Alaska.  So far, we have gone out with Jayleen 13 times.  We have 4 whale watching tours booked for 2024 and 1 for 2025.  We have never had a bad experience.  Here is the link to her business:  https://jayleensalaska.com/  

There are a lot of good whale watching companies in Juneau.  I have gone with quite a few, but my preference is Jayleen.  I would suggest that if interested, check out the names of the companies mentioned and then do your homework on the companies to see which one matches your needs.

Coral statement about "private whale watching tours" is correct and one of the reasons we choose them.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Italy52 said:

When in Juneau, we always book with Jayleen's Alaska.  So far, we have gone out with Jayleen 13 times.  We have 4 whale watching tours booked for 2024 and 1 for 2025.  We have never had a bad experience.  Here is the link to her business:  https://jayleensalaska.com/  

There are a lot of good whale watching companies in Juneau.  I have gone with quite a few, but my preference is Jayleen.  I would suggest that if interested, check out the names of the companies mentioned and then do your homework on the companies to see which one matches your needs.

Coral statement about "private whale watching tours" is correct and one of the reasons we choose them.

Just to add to what @Italy52 adds - I would look for 3 hours on the water. Jayleen's has this and a few others do also. Most only do 2 hours on the water. Since it takes 30 minutes each way to get out to Auke Bay - if you are going on whale watching, spend as much time on water as possible because this increases the chances of seeing more whales. Don't go with a tour that only spends 2 hours on water (and you spend 1 hour combined on commute).

I personally (now) always choose small and private. I have been on others and they are not worthy IMO.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1