Not feeling the love from Viking

bouy

Some specific points of comparison:

Nov '22 I booked July 29th sailing Amsterdam to Bergen, 7 days, category PS1.

Was: $8,149pp Now: $10,399pp. Of course, it's sold out, so it doesn't matter.

Nov '22 I booked August 5th sailing Bergen to Reykjavik, 14 days, category PS1.

Was $12,149pp. Now: $16,399pp. Three cabins still unsold, including the owner's suite. 😎

The first sailing is up more than 25%. The second more than a third. I seem to have done well with pre-payment, except of course that even what I paid 14 months ago seems like a lot. 8-)

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, ropomo said:

Viking has had a promotion in the US for a good while now that only requires a $25 deposit pp, not 25%. Allows a great deal of speculation for future cruises if not sure. Worst case scenario, we're out $50

We did that once and final payment was still due in full a year before boarding.

16 hours ago, Peregrina651 said:

Your arguments are based on mainstream cruise line behavior and not necessarily facts. Please show us the deep discounts on upcoming cruises.

Yes, they may happen but I don't think they exist in numbers worth worrying about. I'm sailing in May on BIE (the only thing I have "then" and "now" price points to compare) and on the few cabins still available on 4 sailings, at today's prices and available discounts, there is not a single DV6 cabin sold today that will beat the price I paid in 2022.  I'm glad I booked when I did.

If the argument is loss of interest, banks don't pay much interest, less than a percent where we live or less than $150 for a year on a $15000 cruise fare compared to the $900 I saved and the $1100 price rise since I booked. I'm even happier I booked when I did.

Banks have been paying 5% on CD’s for  the past year  fyi

Somehow, Viking's advanced PIF dates seem to generate much more angst than is warranted IMO. Here's an easy way to consider the effect.

Many other cruise lines will require PIF 3 or 4 months before sailing. So, Viking wants your money ~8 months sooner than others. Pick an interest rate you feel appropriate and do the math. For example, if 3% / year makes sense and the cruise is $15K, the effect is a 'price increase' of 2% - or $300.

So just pretend the Viking price is + $300 and factor that into your decision. I suspect it won't be a major issue for most pax. 🍺🥌

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, CurlerRob said:

Somehow, Viking's advanced PIF dates seem to generate much more angst than is warranted IMO. Here's an easy way to consider the effect.

Many other cruise lines will require PIF 3 or 4 months before sailing. So, Viking wants your money ~8 months sooner than others. Pick an interest rate you feel appropriate and do the math. For example, if 3% / year makes sense and the cruise is $15K, the effect is a 'price increase' of 2% - or $300.

So just pretend the Viking price is + $300 and factor that into your decision. I suspect it won't be a major issue for most pax. 🍺🥌

Yes, and if you pay with a bank transfer you get 3% back. Many credit cards have at least 2-3% back in rewards, plus other travel benefits.

The other point is that the payment due date is not the date the cancellation penalties begin like it is with other cruise lines.

• Like 3

Just to ask about the surprise-single-supplement that was mentioned earlier: if I'm traveling with a friend, and that friend has to cancel at the last minute, then I'm on the hook for paying my entire fare a second time or else abandon the trip? What if their flight is delayed and they won't arrive until a later port, so I'm checking in alone?

Maybe I misunderstood. Hopefully!

29 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

Just to ask about the surprise-single-supplement that was mentioned earlier: if I'm traveling with a friend, and that friend has to cancel at the last minute, then I'm on the hook for paying my entire fare a second time or else abandon the trip? What if their flight is delayed and they won't arrive until a later port, so I'm checking in alone?

Sorry to deliver the bad news.  I know how much you want to do this cruise but you have few options. YOU DID NOT MISUNDERSTAND.  Cancel now and get your money back, before cancellation penalties kick in. Read the T&C and you will see that making any changes forces you to cancel the booking and rebook at the current price.    Viking knows all the subterfuges and in their mindset, a contract is set in stone the moment you put down the deposit.   Even trying to find a another cabin mate means cancelling and rebooking. 

You can't lie about your roomie. Once they cancel to get their money back before cancellation penalties kick in, the gig is up. You're side of the equation will be cancelled as well.  Viking is not flexible about this and they are not sympathetic.

BTW, they will not take your word, you will have to prove with name and flight number that your roomie is delayed. Moreover, lying could end up getting you banned -- attempt to defraud, etc. Boarding refused with no refund.  Cheaper to cancel and get your money back.  Viking holds all the aces.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

Sorry to deliver the bad news.  I know how much you want to do this cruise but you have few options. YOU DID NOT MISUNDERSTAND.  Cancel now and get your money back, before cancellation penalties kick in. Read the T&C and you will see that making any changes forces you to cancel the booking and rebook at the current price.    Viking knows all the subterfuges and in their mindset, a contract is set in stone the moment you put down the deposit.   Even trying to find a another cabin mate means cancelling and rebooking. 

You can't lie about your roomie. Once they cancel to get their money back before cancellation penalties kick in, the gig is up. You're side of the equation will be cancelled as well.  Viking is not flexible about this and they are not sympathetic.

BTW, they will not take your word, you will have to prove with name and flight number that your roomie is delayed. Moreover, lying could end up getting you banned -- attempt to defraud, etc. Boarding refused with no refund.  Cheaper to cancel and get your money back.  Viking holds all the aces.

Peregrina -- I'm not the OP. I'm asking legitimately what happens if I'm meeting someone and there is a problem, such as delayed flight, and I check in alone. Or if they have to cancel for a reason that they can claim against their travel insurance -- e.g. death of a relative -- but that may not be a reason why I get to claim against the insurance if we purchase insurance separately. So then I can't get an insurance payout, I'm just stuck either paying double (or more) or forfeiting the trip.

6 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

I couldn't find the "surprise-single-supplement" reference, but may have missed it.

In the circumstance you mention, I would not expect an issue from Viking - they would have PIF from a travelling companion prior to their last-minute cancellation or trip delay, so there should be no reason for them to levy additional charges on top of that. However, I'm happy to be educated otherwise!

I think Peregrina's reference was to trying to kite the system once one person cancelled at a point when PIF or penalties were not 100%. 🍺🥌

2 hours ago, CurlerRob said:

In the circumstance you mention, I would not expect an issue from Viking - they would have PIF from a travelling companion prior to their last-minute cancellation or trip delay, so there should be no reason for them to levy additional charges on top of that. However, I'm happy to be educated otherwise!

There have been a couple of reports in this forum of people showing up on the dock without their cabin-mate being charged the single supplement before being allowed to board the ship. Yes, Viking keeps the fare of the no-show and the guest has submit an insurance claim to get that money back (and I honestly have no idea how that works if you have the Viking insurance).

8 hours ago, FoggyEthan said:

I'm asking legitimately what happens if I'm meeting someone and there is a problem, such as delayed flight, and I check in alone.

If your cabinmate is legitimately delayed, then you will be able to give a name and flight number and Viking will be able to confirm that his flight has been delayed. Cabinmate should also contact Viking en-route to let them know what is going on. Of course, if they plan to arrive a day or two early, that reduces the possibility of this scenario -- hint, hint.

The real problem for you is last minute cancellation by cabinmate. This is the nightmare situation. As I said above, cancellation by one is cancellation by both. You could arrive at the dock and find that you have no cabin; you'll have to handle the cancellation process with care so that you understand exactly what is happening.  If you do have a cabin, you will have to pay the single supplement -- and unlike a spouse cancelling, the insurance money will go to the cabinmate not to you.  If you are talking about the changing cabinmates scenario you mentioned elsewhere, things may be even more complicated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 1/22/2024 at 1:42 AM, Peregrina651 said:

If the argument is loss of interest, banks don't pay much interest, less than a percent where we live 

Another reminder that everyone should be at a Credit Union, where 2.5% interest is not uncommon - we don't even live in the same State as our Credit Union 🙂 

1 hour ago, WanderingBrit said:

Another reminder that everyone should be at a Credit Union, where 2.5% interest is not uncommon - we don't even live in the same State as our Credit Union 🙂

If anyone has not looked into online banks, the rates are even better.  Our Capital One savings account, which is linked to our checking account, earns 4.35%, and our new Bread Savings account earns 5.15%.  We've been using Capital One since 2014 and have never felt the need for a physical bank.

1 minute ago, Kountess said:

If anyone has not looked into online banks, the rates are even better.  Our Capital One savings account, which is linked to our checking account, earns 4.35%, and our new Bread Savings account earns 5.15%.  We've been using Capital One since 2014 and have never felt the need for a physical bank.

Us either!  We are currently using Sofi Bank, earning 4.6%.  

I'll have to look into Bread saving accounts.  Never heard of them!

56 minutes ago, farmecologist said:

Us either!  We are currently using Sofi Bank, earning 4.6%.  

I'll have to look into Bread saving accounts.  Never heard of them!

I believe they pay out your earnings in either multi-grain or rye. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Haqdeluxe said:

I believe they pay out your earnings in either multi-grain or rye. 

Oh, no, not that fancy! 🤣 Just plain old white bread (maybe Wonder bread🍞 ?)!!!  I had never heard of them either, but found them in a search for the best CD rates.  We've had CDs there since last May, and they are earning real money!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kountess said:

Hi Kountess!

We have Capital One as well.  Always been happy with them.

I'll have to check into this "Bread Savings" account. 🙂

On 1/23/2024 at 8:55 AM, Peregrina651 said:

The real problem for you is last minute cancellation by cabinmate. This is the nightmare situation. As I said above, cancellation by one is cancellation by both. You could arrive at the dock and find that you have no cabin; you'll have to handle the cancellation process with care so that you understand exactly what is happening.  If you do have a cabin, you will have to pay the single supplement -- and unlike a spouse cancelling, the insurance money will go to the cabinmate not to you.  If you are talking about the changing cabinmates scenario you mentioned elsewhere, things may be even more complicated.

I had a chat with a Viking rep, and I just wanted to clarify one thing that I think was uncertain earlier: the single supplement is at the rate you originally booked. You are not repriced to current rates. But everything else is as stated.

I guess I just have to hope that my friend doesn't have any issues that force her to cancel. Because of the way travel insurance works, it would push me to choose to cancel my own cruise too, even if I'm already at the dock when I find out she's not coming. If I cancel because she can't make it, I get paid out a full refund via insurance. If I pay the single supplement and sail without her, I get nothing.

1 hour ago, FoggyEthan said:

I had a chat with a Viking rep, and I just wanted to clarify one thing that I think was uncertain earlier: the single supplement is at the rate you originally booked. You are not repriced to current rates. But everything else is as stated.

I guess I just have to hope that my friend doesn't have any issues that force her to cancel. Because of the way travel insurance works, it would push me to choose to cancel my own cruise too, even if I'm already at the dock when I find out she's not coming. If I cancel because she can't make it, I get paid out a full refund via insurance. If I pay the single supplement and sail without her, I get nothing.

Your insurance will cover your cancellation FOR A COVERED REASON of your travel companion.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 3:25 PM, bouy said:

Well thank you everyone for your opinions and advise ,sorry I scanned the site and didn’t see anything about this type of topic  

And again I did something I typically don’t do is I bought insurance ahead of time so if I cancel or rebook I’ll loose that.So thanks ropomo for putting into perspective for me I  appreciate it 😎 still planning on going and having a great time

I've never understood buying insurance before penalties start. Up until then, one can cancel with little or no loss. There is nothing to insure until there is a risk of loss. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kahuna21 said:

I've never understood buying insurance before penalties start. Up until then, one can cancel with little or no loss. There is nothing to insure until there is a risk of loss. 

It has to do with existing medical conditions. That is why many purchase it within two weeks of booking, so they can be covered if needing to cancel.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, nini said:

It has to do with existing medical conditions. That is why many purchase it within two weeks of booking, so they can be covered if needing to cancel.

Exactly. And it isn't just the travelers' existing conditions but those of business partners and relatives described in the coverages as well.  

It’s all simple and moot if you don’t do Tripmate and get travel insurance from a good 3rd party where you don’t lose if you cancel the trip, but can transfer it to another trip.  And you only insure the minimum until penalties, so the cost for us is usually at most $125.

means that way you get to waive pre existing conditions at a very low risk and cost.  It would be stupid not to do it this way.

Edited by CCWineLover
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, FoggyEthan said:

If I cancel because she can't make it, I get paid out a full refund via insurance. If I pay the single supplement and sail without her, I get nothing.

Yup. That is why it is the nightmare situation. There are lots of moving parts-- Viking, insurance, timing of the cancellation, separate insurance for each party occupying the one cabin, etc..