Is Cabo port on a princess cruise wheelchair accessible at all?

Morphumax

Going on a cruise with princess soon and 2 members of our party are in wheelchairs. One can walk minimally the other cannot walk at all. I haven't been able to find a very direct answer with princess, but does anyone know if it's possible for wheelchairs to get on any of the tenders thta go from the ship to the port and vice versa? I saw one comment somewhere that said something about a lifeboat tender, but that's all I've seen. Really hoping to find out for sure either way so we can plan ahead instead of being disappointed day of. Thank you

This may be a hard question to answer. Tender operations in Cabo may use either ship tenders or local boats. For the ship tenders, wheelchairs would not be allowed.  For the local tenders maybe, although I doubt it.  I have only ever used ship tenders there. I think that which tenders will be used may not be decided really far in advance, as it would depend on what other ships are in port. I would proceed with the idea that they will not be able to go to shore.

4 hours ago, Morphumax said:

One can walk minimally the other cannot walk at all.

That's going to be a no-go. If you cannot safely transfer between two rocking vessels without them being anchored together, meaning that they are moving independently, then you should not and usually cannot use the tender. There is no way to do it safely.

From Princess:

When tendering is required, passengers using mobility devices will not
be transferred into or out of the tender, if lifting in excess of the above limitation is required.
Many tender ports do not provide wheelchair access so even if the passenger can board the
tender they may not be able to disembark ashore. Again the shore-side facilities, movement of
the tender, weather and tidal conditions can also preclude tendering.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/faq_answer_legal/Passengers-with-Limited-Mobility.pdf

Another example from RCI:

Guests with assistive devices who are unable to take a few steps will be unable to board tenders unless roll-on capability is available. 

In order to safely board most tenders, guests must be able to take steps and use a collapsible manual wheelchair. In addition, motorized wheelchairs and mobility scooters can not be taken on tenders, unless roll-on capability is available. Inquire about tender roll-on capability at Guest Relations Desk while on board. Please note roll-on capability is not guaranteed. 

Weather, sea conditions and other factors may preclude tendering. Safety of our guests and crew is our primary consideration, and the Captain and his staff will make the final decision regarding transferring guests and their assistive devices based on safety reasons. 

If guests are unable to tender or disembark because of due to these circumstances, there will be no refund or credit for missed ports. While we recognize your disappointment, the safety of our guests and crew takes precedence.

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/experience/accessible-cruising/additional-assistance

Seems pretty clear.

Edited by Outerdog

Basically at all tender ports wheelchair access is limited and may not exist. Have been on many cruises with tender ports. The person has to be able to walk some to make the difficult step, with assistance, from the moving ship's pontoon onto the moving and rocking tender. They then must be able to navigate on the moving tender into their seat. A person that can not walk at all really can not be tendered ashore. A person with limited walking ability can be tendered ashore, but the risk of injury is increased. I would plan on staying on board in Cabo. It's like an off season resort on port days.

I believe I have seen some wheelchair access in cabo. But there are a lot of variables. They run a 2 deck local cabo tender. You board from the embarkation station directly to the 2nd deck of the boat and disembark that way too once on shore. 

Note that I can't guarantee that Princess does this, but I've seen this on NCL. 

I've often seen collapsible wheelchairs on Princess tenders. The crew will help you on and off the tender, but they will not carry you. If the person who can walk minimally can walk up and down a couple of steps with assistance, they may be able to go ashore. How well they can get around on shore is a different question. It will certainly help if they have a companion to push the wheelchair. The person who cannot walk at all is probably not able to use a tender.

Tender platforms are generally on deck 3.  You can take a midship/not glass elevator from anywhere on the ship to deck 4.  Then there is a small, very slow, elevator off to the corner that will take you from deck 4 to deck 3.

Scooters are not allowed, but they “may” load a collapsible wheel chair/walker.  

Remember that the two “boats” are rising and falling independently of each other.  Also, bring a cane.

• Like 1

We have cruised to Cabo many times. It is a tender port and they use both local tenders and ship’s tenders. Our Mom uses a wheelchair and has always gone ashore with us. The crew are very helpful getting her on and off the tender, but there is a caveat: she can walk the few steps onto and off the tender (with help). If you cannot walk at all, do not attempt the tenders! That’s our experience over many visits.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, wineglass said:

We have cruised to Cabo many times. It is a tender port and they use both local tenders and ship’s tenders. Our Mom uses a wheelchair and has always gone ashore with us. The crew are very helpful getting her on and off the tender, but there is a caveat: she can walk the few steps onto and off the tender (with help). If you cannot walk at all, do not attempt the tenders! That’s our experience over many visits.

Has this been with princess or other cruise lines?

Do you think if 2 of us can carry him they'll allow that?

Have you ever been at a tender port?  I understand you desire to go ashore (but you really aren't missing much).  

The platform attached to the ship is pretty stable (it will rise and fall with the ship's movement).  The tender will come along side the platform.  Sometimes there are step ups/downs just get on to the tender loading area (about 4 feet by 4 feet).  Then you have to negotiate stairs down into the tender's belly.  All the while that the tender is moving.  It is "tied up" the the cruise ship, but the engines are in reverse trying to keep it butt up against the ship.

Reverse operation to get off the tender on to the dock at Cabo.  

I do not need to know how little or how much the passenger is capable of achieving on their own.  I am sure an officer will have the final say.  Yes, there are several officers who monitor the loading and unloading.  

I have not been on a Royal Class ship to Cabo...so here is a video.  Fast forward.

https://www.google.com/search?q=video+tendering+cabo+discovery+Princess&client=safari&sca_esv=601288450&rls=en&sxsrf=ACQVn0-r3olPEkcZp5ZqsuOCUvZ971O4vw%3A1706151106297&ei=wsyxZf_mEdjIkPIP7IawOA&ved=0ahUKEwj_z_6UxPeDAxVYJEQIHWwDDAcQ4dUDCA8&uact=5&oq=video+tendering+cabo+discovery+Princess&gs_lp=Egxnd3Mtd2l6LXNlcnAiJ3ZpZGVvIHRlbmRlcmluZyBjYWJvIGRpc2NvdmVyeSBQcmluY2VzczIFECEYoAEyBRAhGKABMgUQIRigATIFECEYoAEyBRAhGJ8FSOU-UKoFWI8mcAF4AJABApgB-QmgAfotqgENMy45LjMuMC4xLjctM7gBA8gBAPgBAcICDhAAGIAEGIoFGIYDGLADwgIHECEYChigAcICBRAhGKsC4gMEGAEgQYgGAZAGAw&sclient=gws-wiz-serp#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:e354e9b2,vid:I8y8usztLgc,st:0

Edited by cr8tiv1

As stated later in this board, the ship and the tender may move up and down quite a bit, but not always. It depends on the bay state that day. The ship anchors in the bay in front of the city. With us, the crew would take the folding wheelchair aboard separately and stow it after all were aboard. If the person can not walk to the seat and back off the boat, I don’t think they will let you board. Go down and to the boarding port before you take them down, If it’s calm, maybe they will allow it, but what if it gets rougher when you return? On the plus side, Cabo is our favorite Mexican port, but to be honest, we rarely go ashore in Mexico anymore. The cartels are wverywhere.

We live in LA, so San Pedro is a port we can drive too. Because of the wheelchair, we rarely fly to board a ship, so our cruises are, Mexico, West Coast and Hawaii. We usually for the cruise and the ship, not the ports. Airports, shuttles and hotels are really a pain with a wheelchair ( but it does expedite security, usually)

14 hours ago, Morphumax said:

Do you think if 2 of us can carry him they'll allow that?

I have yet to see a tender with wide enough access entry sections that are wide enough for 3 people to be abreast of each other.  I'm assuming that you are speaking of 2 people on either side and carrying in that manner.  Plus...this would potentially present a real safety hazard for all 3 with a moving (vertically) tender.  I just can't imagine that they would even allow an attempt given this scenario.  (I do NOT have direct, first-hand experience in this manner...this is primarily an opinion.  The final "authority" on a matter such as this would very likely be right at the tender itself when the personnel see what is required...I hope for your sake that I am wrong.)

• Thanks 1

My wife and I both have mobility issues.  I can manage a few stairs and can get in and out of a tender, but my wife cannot without a lot of assistance.  It is extremely stressful for her, therefore we forego tender ports and just consider it as a day to enjoy the ship without the crowds.

I also agree with Rick, that it would be a real safety hazard to attempt to carry an individual onto a tender.

• Thanks 1

No.

Cabo is a really rough, bobbing tender. 

The changing weather can make a somewhat doable tender in the morning, a complete no-go in the afternoon. 

The ship at anchor oftentimes in Cabo does a complete 180, so you never know what side you'll be boarding the tender or the ship. One is definitely more rocky than the other. 

As mentioned above, I haven't seen a tender with a wide enough opening for three people.  

Just plan to stay on the ship. 

Edited by startedwithamouse
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1