Shuttle from LAX to Port

jamesnnb

We are booked on Princess shuttle from LAX to San Pedro for March. We are flying in the day before and staying at an LAX hotel which will shuttle us back to the airport. What time do the Princess shuttles start running  from the airport to the port and do we just go to the Arrivals of any airline and look for the Princess Rep near the luggage carousels? 

11 minutes ago, jamesnnb said:

What time do the Princess shuttles start running  from the airport to the port and do we just go to the Arrivals of any airline and look for the Princess Rep near the luggage carousels? 

You will find detailed transfer info in your Cruise Personalizer /Travel Summary.

This was the transfer info for a January 2020 Panama Canal Cruise, departing at 4:00 PM.

Meeting time was from 9:00 AM, the 1st bus departed around 10:00 AM:

Unbenannt.jpg.5ae649c48f2f46b6d69eff1d03322f8d.jpg

Edited by EDVM96
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, EDVM96 said:

You will find detailed transfer info in your Cruise Personalizer /Travel Summary.

This was the transfer info for a January 2020 Panama Canal Cruise, departing at 4:00 PM.

Meeting time was from 9:00 AM, the 1st bus departed around 10:00 AM:

Unbenannt.jpg.5ae649c48f2f46b6d69eff1d03322f8d.jpg

I’m not seeing any detailed info on my cruise personalized nor on the app. They say it is different now since most everything is on the app. I don’t see anywhere to enter my flight times like in the old days — plus I’m not flying in the day of embarkation. Are you on an upcoming cruise and can you direct me on Cruise Personalizer as to where it might be? Appreciate it. 

When you arrive ask around where the Princess representatives will be on the following day. They will be somewhere in the luggage areas.

Are you staying overnight at the same hotel Princess uses for their hotel packages. If so then there would be a Princess rep at the hotel. 

Edited by skynight

Thank you. Not sure which hotels Princess uses. We’re staying at the Hyatt Regency. I’ll try and find out if that is one Princess uses. I just asked Princess and they advised to check with T/A which I will do. I mainly want to know what time we should hotel shuttle back to the airport for Princess shuttle — as when do they start and do we just go to any Arrivals area to look for the agent or back to the airline we came in on the day before. 

This is what it says on their web site. Don't know if it's totally accurate.

Los Angeles Airport Marriott

This hotel near LAX offers a complimentary shuttle service to the airport, less than 1.5 miles away. Other nearby points of interest close to the hotel include the Hollywood Walk of Fame, Manhattan Beach, Third Street Promenade in Santa Monica and a variety of shopping and dining. Amenities include a resort-style pool, a 24-hour gym and fantastic on-site dining.

I would cancel the shuttle and take an uber instead that way you don't have to go back to lax and wait for the princess shuttle to fill up.  I took a cruise out of San Pedro 2 years ago and getting around with uber was very easy.

• Like 2

My advice would be to pack some patience.  If possible, cancel the transfer arrange for you own way to San Pedro.  

The anecdote because is a 2nd re account...

The January 7, 2024 transfers at LAX were a mess.  My friend's parents flew in the morning of the cruise on Southwest.  Their transfer instructions said the transfers would operate between 10:00 and 11:00 am and by 1:30 p.m., they were still waiting to be picked up by the buses.  Apparently, the port agents only chartered 3 busses to pick-up close to 500 passengers.  Because of the traffic situation at the airport (if you know LAX, traffic at the airport is a problem because it's a horseshoe shape, one way in and one way out), it was taking the coaches an hour to make the loop from Terminal 1 and Terminal 7 and finally onto the freeway.  My friend's parents got onto the bus that left at 2:00 pm and they didn't board until 3:30 pm, past the sail away time. The final bus with passengers didn't show up until 4:30 pm, resulting in the ship not departing until 5:30 pm.  To add insult to injury, there was more luggage than the UHaul truck to handle, so an empty bus had to go back to the airport just to pick up the remaining luggage.  Not a good start to a vacation and poor planning on Princess' part.

Below are some pics of the chaos.  The bus driver called the reps, but it took an eternity for the bus to arrive because of the traffic that the passengers were made to wait outside on the curb standing up and breathing in LA car exhaust for 45 minutes.

image.jpeg

IMG_4507.JPG

IMG_4508.JPG

7 minutes ago, avonlady6390 said:

I would cancel the shuttle and take an uber instead that way you don't have to go back to lax and wait for the princess shuttle to fill up.  I took a cruise out of San Pedro 2 years ago and getting around with uber was very easy.

I agree with this if it is still possible at this late date. 

Edited by skynight

1 hour ago, jamesnnb said:

I’m not seeing any detailed info on my cruise personalized nor on the app.

It's definitely still on the travel summary PDF.

1 hour ago, jamesnnb said:

I don’t see anywhere to enter my flight times like in the old days 

This can be done just like the old days on the website / Cruise Personalizer. Just click on the Travel icon.

Flights.thumb.jpg.264d26f29b9df9cc5b8a73908868df92.jpg

I do see the page where you enter your flight info now. Princess, on the phone, said they were not sure how to fill it out if you are arriving a day early and hotel shuttle back to the airport. She did say to just put the last leg of the flight as it will only take one flight and that of course is the one landing at LAX. Princess referred me back to the T/A, which I will still do — the hold was super long this morning so I’ll try later. I’ll also ask the T/A where the detailed info on the cruise personalizer is — as I do not see it on mine?  The Summary page gives you option to upgrade to Princess Plus and to check in with the app (which I’ve done and in green lane) and advises dinning options moved to the app. That’s all I see on the Summary tab page.

45 minutes ago, jamesnnb said:

SCX22, this was a Sunday — do you know which ship and where it was going? What a mess that was for those poor people.

Emerald Princess to the Panama Canal.  My friends got dropped off at San Pedro at 11:30 am to be greeted with lines stretching around the curb.  Thanks to their heads up, we arrived at 1:30 pm and breezed right through check-in and security.  My poor friend's parents who took the Princess transfer got the short stick.  They were exhausted by the time we all got together for dinner at 6:30 pm.

Check the port schedule to see how many ships will have full turns on the date of you departure.  If it's more than one, pack your patience as Berths 92 and 93's curbs are horseshoe shaped and the traffic into the terminal can get crazy at times.  If one ship is only calling and not doing a full turn, the traffic isn't a problem.

4 hours ago, jamesnnb said:

What time do the Princess shuttles start running  from the airport to the port and do we just go to the Arrivals of any airline and look for the Princess Rep near the luggage carousels? 

Also, to answer your question directly...

Get dropped off at Terminal 1, Southwest Terminal.  This is where people who arrived before embarkation day are instructed to meet for Princess Transfers.  Go to the lower arrivals level.  Reps holding Princess signs will be waiting for you in the baggage claim.  You can arrive as early as you want, but as my anecdote reveals, you're at the mercy of the busses and when they arrive.

Thanks SCX22…you’ve been a great help. Right now, our ship is showing as the only ship at the cruise center that day. Going in/out of B92.  We have sailed out of there numerous times and sometimes it’s a breeze and sometimes not. Once the ship had to undergo a complete and thorough cleaning (completely unexpected until you got there) and everyone had to wait outside the terminal for hours. The longest line was for the food wagon, lol, who was really happy. Ours is a 7 day Mexico and return date also shows just our ship for turnaround. 

4 hours ago, avonlady6390 said:

I also did uber and it was quick easy pick up drop off and price is cheaper especially for two people...can't see any advantage to buying princess transfer and having to go back to the airport in a shuttle with luggage etc and then hang around waiting for bus to be full..by that time a uber would pick u up at your hotel and away you go...they pull right up to the bag drop area at the pier and next to security and check in counter....

• Like 1

Is the LAX shuttle to Port always a zoo? I cruised out of San Pedro numerous times and have always taken an Uber. I love some of.the restaurants and the vibe in the SP area. We have a cruise leaving Thanksgiving Sunday that includes transfers. I'm flying in a day early and because of hotel costs, I booked a hotel near the airport and was going to take the Princess shuttle. Should I rethink my decision?

I would cancel and take an uber from hotel to take the princess bus you would have to go back to the airport with your luggage and wait for it to leave or call an uber from your hotel and go directly to the port which is probably cheaper.  And you'll be on the ship that much sooner.

• Like 1

No way would we use the Princess shuttle.  The Uber will pick you up right at your hotel and take you directly to the ship.

Just looking at the pictures posted above makes me wonder why people subject themselves to that when its so easy to call an Uber and go.

• Like 1

We very often use a Princess shuttle...but we're usually going in a day early and the cost of the shuttle includes the trip from the airport to the hotel as well as hotel to ship.  That being said...we've never cruised on Princess out of any California port...only once on Carnival and strangely enough, they don't do shuttles.

I would seriously consider what many others have suggested...take an Uber or Lyft from your hotel directly to the port.  You're just setting yourself up for a lot of chaos and frustration in going *back* to the airport with luggage.  But...you know what works for you.

We’ve rented a car at LAX and are dropping it off in San Pedro the next day (Enterprise). We’ll drop luggage off and walk the 3/4 mile or hitch a ride back to the pier. Cost is $80. 

Taking an Uber or Lyft from a hotel to San Pedro is fine. However taking a rideshare from LAX to the cruise port is a different story. You will to shuttle to the rideshare lot to get an Uber or Lyft which is very confusing at LAX.