Solo cruising thoughts/advice

happycruiser7

You are 30 years old but still feel the need to ask for parental permission before doing something? Are you still living at home or dependant on them financially, which would infer such an obligation? No need to answer- it was rhetorical. Time (far past time IMO) to cut the cord. Dont ask your parents; tell them. Go and enjoy your independence. You've already been on enough cruises to know how to connect socially with your fellow cruisers when you want to.

I was travellling internationally, and living a couple of thousand miles from home by my mid 20s. Both of my daughters were the same. In fact my elder daughter had done more travelling than I had before she was 30. Be smart. Be prudent. Live your life.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mom says said:

You are 30 years old but still feel the need to ask for parental permission before doing something? Are you still living at home or dependant on them financially, which would infer such an obligation? No need to answer- it was rhetorical. Time (far past time IMO) to cut the cord. Dont ask your parents; tell them. Go and enjoy your independence. You've already been on enough cruises to know how to connect socially with your fellow cruisers when you want to.

I was travellling internationally, and living a couple of thousand miles from home by my mid 20s. Both of my daughters were the same. In fact my elder daughter had done more travelling than I had before she was 30. Be smart. Be prudent. Live your life.

I do still live at home. I have some visual issues that prevent me from driving so I do rely on them for things like transportation and while it wouldn’t hinder my ability to travel i do feel an obligation to consider and factor in their feelings considering they do a lot for me. I would love to move out and am trying to find a job that would help me financially achieve that. I didn’t go through a rebellious phase and while they think I’m capable and trust me I’m trying to break out of being sheltered and be independent. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, happycruiser7 said:

I do still live at home. I have some visual issues that prevent me from driving so I do rely on them for things like transportation and while it wouldn’t hinder my ability to travel i do feel an obligation to consider and factor in their feelings considering they do a lot for me. I would love to move out and am trying to find a job that would help me financially achieve that. I didn’t go through a rebellious phase and while they think I’m capable and trust me I’m trying to break out of being sheltered and be independent. 

Here's a virtual hugs from the Left Coast 🙂 Keep up the good work. And you do understand, don't you, that you have NO obligation to give private info on any site.  

• Like 2

Happycruiser7 just do it. A few years ago my travel partner was unable to go on a cruise we had been planning, so I thought I will just go solo. My husband and family were so upset I was going solo that I added a family member. We went on the cruise, it was fun but the whole time I kept thinking, I wish I had gone  solo and then I became a little angry that I as a 50+ women was not able to travel by myself on a cruise. Fast forward, I have a cruise booked for 2025 and I am going solo- that's the end of it.

Just go, have fun, people on Princess are very nice, lots of solo travelers. Be smart, go with your gut if you are unsure at times. As other people have suggested, join a roll call for your sailing. Get an internet package so you can keep in touch with family if that makes you feel better. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Prometheus1 said:

Happycruiser7 just do it. A few years ago my travel partner was unable to go on a cruise we had been planning, so I thought I will just go solo. My husband and family were so upset I was going solo that I added a family member. We went on the cruise, it was fun but the whole time I kept thinking, I wish I had gone  solo and then I became a little angry that I as a 50+ women was not able to travel by myself on a cruise. Fast forward, I have a cruise booked for 2025 and I am going solo- that's the end of it.

Just go, have fun, people on Princess are very nice, lots of solo travelers. Be smart, go with your gut if you are unsure at times. As other people have suggested, join a roll call for your sailing. Get an internet package so you can keep in touch with family if that makes you feel better. 

I have made a decision to go. Wednesday I’m calling my travel agent to book. 

• Like 7

It sounds like one thing you might be looking for is a way to tell your parents that you're going that will also enable you to leave your guilt behind and enjoy your trip.  Given the circumstances you've described, perhaps you could tell them you're just about to book the trip, but wanted to give them the courtesy of telling them just before you pull the trigger.  Tell them that you've thought seriously about all of the concerns they - particularly your mom - have expressed, and that you have plans in place to mitigate all of those.  (These would be things like buying the internet package, as suggested by @Prometheus1, so that you can touch base with them each morning and evening; joining the roll call for the cruise you've chosen so that you can establish some relationships in advance with people you can spend time with if you want to once you board, etc.)  End by saying that their support would mean so much to you, but that this is something you really want to do.  And then go and book it.   (From what you've described, it also sounds like it would be a good idea to tell them together, so that your dad can throw his support behind you.)  

I know this is different than the "just do it" advice, and while that was my first instinct, to be honest, it did occur to me that that isn't going to work for you, so I hope the above is maybe partially useful.

Good luck.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, happycruiser7 said:

I have made a decision to go. Wednesday I’m calling my travel agent to book. 

I was typing my response, above, as you were typing this.  So, obviously, "good advice not needed" from me, but it was too late to recall it.  🙂  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, aungrl said:

I was typing my response, above, as you were typing this.  So, obviously, "good advice not needed" from me, but it was too late to recall it.  🙂  

You’re fine. I am going to use your advice. They know I was considering going anyway. It was just a matter of pulling the trigger. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, happycruiser7 said:

They’re just worried something will happen and are a little over protective. They’ve always been that way and I’ve always been the kind of person who needs their approval or I feel guilty doing something. My dad thinks I can handle it as does my therapist. 

They’ve been invited to come it’s just not a commitment my mom can make with work at the moment. I’m looking to commit when she can’t. 

Parents worry...doesn't matter how old you are. That said you are an adult! You've given them the choice to come with you, and they have said that won't work for them. That's their choice,

I've cruised twice, once with sharing a room with my Aunt (parents in a different room) and the second cruise was just me, myself and I in one room with my parents a few doors down. (dad was jealous cause my balcony was bigger lol) I was able to do what I wanted sometimes with one or both parents tagging along. Given the age difference there were many things I wanted to do they wanted no part of and the same could be said of me. Most nights we simply met up for dinner and compared notes.

I am now investigating solo cruises..the major issue I'm finding is simply being able to afford the airfare to the cruise port and of course the single supplement.  However if the stars align and those two things before more doable I'll be on the next boat outta town! it might be a canoe but I'll be on it! For the worrywarts in my family...I will make some accommodations and get the internet package so that I can email them at least each night (probably).

If you feel confidant that you can do a cruise (and the associated headaches that come with travel in general), you've found a cruise line that you like and can afford to do then I say Go for it!  I'm sure that your therapist can prescribe something for the anxiety if you need it. I took my meds with me but found that after the plane ride I did not need it (and in fact, would not have needed it then if Dad had not gotten me all worked up, Mom was less than impressed with him).

You might just surprise yourself with how capable you really are!

• Like 3

Solo cruiser? Welcome to the club. I just completed my second solo cruise with Celebrity as well as my second ten-day cruise. Don't worry about being a solo cruiser. Just take part in the Single/Solo travelers group that meets on board ship as well as ask for the "solo travelers" table in the MDR. (Don't say "single table" as the staff may think you are looking for a table for one.) Also take part in the trivia and game show contests. 

22 hours ago, happycruiser7 said:

You’re fine. I am going to use your advice. They know I was considering going anyway. It was just a matter of pulling the trigger. 

And please check back in and let us know how it went!  

• Like 2

I'm mid 50s and have been travelling & cruising solo since I was 15. 

To be honest (and sorry if I'm blunt) the idea of my parents having any say in my life at 30 horrifies me! I didn't even allow them any say when I was 15. I was very independent. I have a wide circle of friends of many ages and I honestly don't know a soul who would allow their parents that kind of influence in their lives after they turned 18 (legal adult in my country). It may be different where you are so I'm not judging. 

Everything you said in your first post about what you like (and dislike) in cruising tells me you really want to be a solo cruiser !!!

You are really doing nothing new to you. You have already cruised regularly so you know how it all works and what you like to do. The difference is you have the joy of that cabin all to yourself. All the decisions each day are yours. 

I live with severe anxiety. It literally disappears on holidays because I am at peace. The best bit about being a solo is that it's completely up to you whether you want to be an introvert or an extrovert. And that can change by the hour or the day. I'm introverted in the mornings. I like to have breakfast in the main dining room at a solo table in peace and quiet. 
At lunch and dinner I may feel more extroverted and join a group table and chat with strangers. I may feel totally different the next day if I'm too "peopled out" or if something happened during the day that caused a bit of an anxiety flare (say a tour got cancelled or ran late and I got over stressed). 
In addition, travelling solo removes the arguments about what everyone wants to do etc. And removing that constant argument situation actually reduces your anxiety. Win win !!! 

So go for it. Once you have done it and discovered to love it, perhaps the parentals will cut (or at least trim) the apron strings. 

good luck and happy cruising. 

• Like 4

A good test for travelling solo is do you enjoy going to a restaurant alone or a museum. Take yourself out on a “date night” and see if you enjoy the freedom of doing what you want when you want. I have anxiety but it’s much lighter when I travel solo plus worse case reach out to your support network virtually when you need it. You’re 30 it’s time to enjoy your life. Im 34 and took my first solo cruise at 31 so I get it. If your therapist thinks you’ll be fine just and you like your own company just book it. 

• Like 1

The freedom of solo cruises is great. Wake, sleep, eat, excursions, etc on your schedule and your wants is so nice. If you go to a bar, a trivia game and just say hi to your neighbor, most times you will get a response and possibly a lot of new info or insight. 

Plan on going. Make sure you sign up to the roll call and look for your sailing on other social media sites that cannot be mentioned by name.

Dont hesitate to mention that you are traveling solo, there may be others in the same situation.

Princess usually has a solo meetup posted the first evening/late afternoon. Look for it either on the app or their daily schedule that will be in your room. When I went on Ruby Princess they only listed it that first night,

If you see a meet and mingle, go to that. Also if you like to have a drink, sitting at the bar is better than sitting alone in a chair. 
Then enjoy just doing what you want to do when you want to do it. Sleep in late, read a book, party your butt off. 

you never know until you try.

• 3 weeks later...

I have always been on my own, single with no kids.  I love travelling and I love the sea.  I cannot handle the company of other people.  I went on a couple of trips with friends and I always had a miserable time.  

When I am on a cruise, I take the time to have some peace and time to myself. 

On a sea day, I have a big breakfast, hit a gym class, read, maybe go and have a spa treatment or relax in the thermal rooms.  If I am studying, I will do an hour of my Diploma studies.

On a Port day, I have an excursion booked, or explore on my own.  Then come back, have dinner, maybe chat to a few people and then hit the thermal room again before bed.

I love the sea and love waking up to a new port every day.  Solo travelling has definitely helped my confidence. 

• Like 4

You are the only person you get to please, so start declaring what pleases you. You can have chicken nuggets and shakes for every meal if that’s your thing or you can order steaks and lobster for snacks so what? You can turn the tv off watch nothing but SpongeBob who cares? Wear those shiny shoes or sleep in your swimsuit, read trashy novels or sing with the band, drink beers or tea, sleep in or wander through the ship- laugh or cry, be active or still, tell tall tales or whisper to the wind, rot your brain or nourish your soul and make a memory if you like, erase some memories. 

It’s your vacation. All meals and housekeeping and entertainment is available for you to enjoy or not. Go out there and realize you are a complete person on your own, and that is okay. 

• Like 6

Cruising is the best way to start travelling solo, because everything is arranged for you -- you don't need to plan where to go to dinner, or worry about walking into a bar alone; there's entertainment options all nearby if you want them, but safe and quiet places to go if you don't.  You will see the same people around the ship so often, they won't be strangers for long, and that will make it easier to strike up conversations with them, and you will all have some shared experiences (which are great for starting conversations). 

I think a 10 day trip is a good one to start solo cruising -- cruises of 7 days or less tend to have more of a party vibe, and cruisers are more likely to want to hang with the people they came with.  In a longer cruise, more cruisers are (in my experience) more laid-back, willing to talk with other travellers, and less focused on being busy all the time. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

I worried before my first solo cruise. But it turned out to be the best cruise ever! I met a wonderful couple I spent all my time with and even went on three trips with later. If you don't mind being alone, you will be fine. If you find it easy to meet people, you will be fine. Go and have a great time. You can make your own schedule. I've traveled alone now for over10 years and love it!

• Like 2

Kudos to you, Sambamama,from a Bay State neighbor who always enjoys your posts,especially those on the joys of solo cruising...Keep up the good work !.

• Like 1