Flowers, keep the vase???

Mosaic

I've known it is mine to take home, but how? It's usually big, frequently glass, and so cumbersome to pack. I have my own, very nice vases, at home waiting. (not to mention a few crappy ones I need to give away)
I just leave it, rinsed, and hope the florist can recycle it by using it for the next arrangement made for a passenger. 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, RuthC said:

I've known it is mine to take home, but how? It's usually big, frequently glass, and so cumbersome to pack. I have my own, very nice vases, at home waiting. (not to mention a few crappy ones I need to give away)
I just leave it, rinsed, and hope the florist can recycle it by using it for the next arrangement made for a passenger. 

If it's an ordinary florist glass vase, I wouldn't bother, either. But since I have a lot of OBC for my next cruise, I'm going to buy myself an arrangement in one of the pretty Delft vases.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

If it's an ordinary florist glass vase, I wouldn't bother, either. But since I have a lot of OBC for my next cruise, I'm going to buy myself an arrangement in one of the pretty Delft vases.

The vases are beautiful  - you can also buy them in boxes w/o arrangements. 

Flowers are a great way to use OBC - pretty and smell good.

20240103_185750.thumb.jpg.5a52773c824a63367cfdae6c5e3043a3.jpg

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Those are small enough---and so nice--- to take home! I wouldn't want to leave mine, either. 
I would double check with the florist that they are purchased with the flowers (perhaps when I order the arrangement in the first place), then be sure to pack it carefully. The florist may have a box, and perhaps some bubble wrap. Failing that, fluffy sweaters, or sweatshirts, make good packing wrap. 

• Thanks 1

There are also some large vases available to purchase. As @RuthC said, they'd be bulky in a suitcase, but my sister got a very cool set that she had Florist box up then carried on the plane. They looked like random shapes until you looked down on them from above- one was the shape of the USA. I don't remember the other; I think it may have been Holland?

The flowers we have ordered for the stateroom have always been in large glass vases, I do like the look of the patterned vases.   Are they available to buy in the ship shop?

11 minutes ago, erewhon said:

The flowers we have ordered for the stateroom have always been in large glass vases, I do like the look of the patterned vases.   Are they available to buy in the ship shop?

I know you can pre-order on the website (under Extras/Flowers). They are $17.50 for the wedge-shaped ones and $35 for the "block" vases.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, erewhon said:

And once onboard, you can order from GS (they have a large book), buy from the Florist at his presentation or one of the "pop ups" you'll see around the ship.

They're not sold in the shops.

2 hours ago, Haljo1935 said:

And once onboard, you can order from GS (they have a large book), buy from the Florist at his presentation or one of the "pop ups" you'll see around the ship.

They're not sold in the shops.

@Haljo1935 thank you for your reply.

If necessary I will request help from the concierge .

Edited by erewhon
  • Like 1

When I last purchased an arrangement on the Rotterdam I went to the craft open house on the first day of the cruise and spoke to the florist. I was able to give my flower choices and pick out the vase that I wanted. It was one of the flower Delft vases.

When the flowers were delivered to my room the next day, they brought the box for the vase (they even put a sticky note on the box to tell me what it was for), so I was able to take it home. In the box it easily fit in my suitcase nestled in with clothing and there was no issue with getting it home safely with no breakage. 

Edited by Ready2go11
  • Like 6

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2024 at 9:38 PM, Ready2go11 said:

When the flowers were delivered to my room the next day, they brought the box for the vase (they even put a sticky note on the box to tell me what it was for), so I was able to take it home. In the box it easily fit in my suitcase nestled in with clothing and there was no issue with getting it home safely with no breakage. 

Thanks for the tip, Ready2go11. After reading this thread I was eager to order myself some "cruise" flowers for the first time. The arrangement was beautiful, and I knew enough to ask the florist for a box in order to take my Delft vase home. It's a lovely souvenir.

flowers.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Mr. Boston said:

We purchased two of the wedge shaped ones onboard the Rotterdam last week, 2 for $30.  They’re very nice.

I went to the flower arranging demo on my cruise and I learned that they call those vases "bow vases" because they're shaped like the bow of a ship. 

• Like 3

On the way to our 1/7 cruise in San Antonio, Chile I asked the driver to stop somewhere so that I could purchase flowers.  I purchased 3 varieties of flowers.  I had a travel vase with me.  When arriving at our stateroom our room steward, Yudi, asked if I would like one of the ship's florists to help.  The ship's florist came, looked at my flowers, and asked if he could arrange them for me.  The arrangement was amazing and lasted for our 3 week voyage.  I also had some of the flowers in another vase.  Of course I tipped the ship's florist and really appreciated his arrangement.  I love flowers and especially loved being able to pick out the ones I wanted. Cherie

• Like 4

On 1/27/2024 at 6:02 PM, Haljo1935 said:

The vases are beautiful  - you can also buy them in boxes w/o arrangements. 

Flowers are a great way to use OBC - pretty and smell good.

20240103_185750.thumb.jpg.5a52773c824a63367cfdae6c5e3043a3.jpg

We bought several of these on a past cruise and they were mailed direct to our home so we didn't need to pack them home.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Btimmer said:

We bought several of these on a past cruise and they were mailed direct to our home so we didn't need to pack them home.

Did the cruise line arrange for shipping? Where would one find that option?

3 hours ago, daisy-mae said:

Did the cruise line arrange for shipping? Where would one find that option?

When we purchased them on board, that was an option.  I can't address shipping options when purchasing them off the ship.

• Like 1