HAL Coffee

Rinderoo

Got off Eurodam a few days ago and I am missing the coffee. We found the Lido coffee quite good and very drinkable. A few days my room service coffee was weak but I never needed to buy it in Explorations.

Does anyone know what they serve on board? 

• Thanks 1

Rotterdam 1873 🙂

"Beukenhorst Coffee USA is proud to offer Holland America Line private coffee label Rotterdam 1873, a small-batch roasted premium coffee blend. Served on all ships in the Exploration Café and Grand Dutch Café. Now available for purchase to enjoy at home in regular and decaf, whole bean or pre-ground for pour over."

https://www.beukenhorst-usa.com/shop/p/rotterdam1873

Edited by Nattyg1723

9 minutes ago, Nattyg1723 said:

Rotterdam 1873 🙂

"Beukenhorst Coffee USA is proud to offer Holland America Line private coffee label Rotterdam 1873, a small-batch roasted premium coffee blend. Served on all ships in the Exploration Café and Grand Dutch Café. Now available for purchase to enjoy at home in regular and decaf, whole bean or pre-ground for pour over."

Which means it is NOT the coffee served in the Lido or dining room. 
Do you know what coffee is used there? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Nattyg1723 said:

Rotterdam 1873 🙂

https://www.beukenhorst-usa.com/shop/p/rotterdam1873

Saw that. But they didn't say it was ship wide in dining rooms and the Lido. I didn't care for what I had in Explorations. 

Holland America Line to sell its own branded coffee

|
Jan 22, 2019
|
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Holland America Line said it is the first cruise line to offer its own branded specialty coffee.

Called Rotterdam 1873, the roast is produced in partnership with Beukenhorst Coffee USA of West Palm Beach, Fla., a U.S. outpost of Dutch coffee house Beukenhorst Koffie.

Named for the city and year Holland America Line was founded, Rotterdam 1873 is a blend of Indonesian and Central and South American arabica coffee beans.  

Rotterdam 1873 is available for purchase by the cup, or guests can buy a regular or decaffeinated 12-ounce bag of the Rotterdam 1873 beans in the Explorations Cafe and Grand Dutch Cafe.

HAL said it has been serving Beukenhorst coffee imported from the Netherlands for more than 20 years in the Lido Market, dining room and other venues where complimentary coffee is served.

"Our hope with having Rotterdam 1873 available for purchase is that guests will go home and reminisce about their Holland America Line cruise each time they enjoy a cup of our coffee," said Hans Wiggemans, co-founder of Beukenhorst Coffee USA.

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, a1211 said:

At least on one previous cruises, I've seen crew filling the lido coffee machine with Folgers classic roast ground coffee.

Thank you that answers the question asked. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, a1211 said:

At least on one previous cruises, I've seen crew filling the lido coffee machine with Folgers classic roast ground coffee.

That beats the syrup they used to pour into the coffee machines on Princess…..

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

Excerpted from the article above by retird, "Rotterdam 1873 is roasted fresh in small batches in Beukenhorst Coffee USA Inc.'s West Palm Beach facility and supplied to the ships. For more than 20 years, Holland America Line has been serving Beukenhorst Koffie imported from the Netherlands in the Lido Market, Dining Room and other venues where complimentary coffee is served."

In the article (from 2019, when Rotterdam 1873 was introduced), it reads that coffee from Beukenhorst had already been supplying coffee to the free venues on HAL for 20 years. Since Beukenhorst makes various coffees, isn't it possible that Beukenhorst still supplies the Lido/MDR one, too? 

3 hours ago, a1211 said:

That explains why my mom preferred the Lido to Explorations -- she drinks Folgers at home!

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, QuattroRomeo said:

Excerpted from the article above by retird, "Rotterdam 1873 is roasted fresh in small batches in Beukenhorst Coffee USA Inc.'s West Palm Beach facility and supplied to the ships. For more than 20 years, Holland America Line has been serving Beukenhorst Koffie imported from the Netherlands in the Lido Market, Dining Room and other venues where complimentary coffee is served."

In the article (from 2019, when Rotterdam 1873 was introduced), it reads that coffee from Beukenhorst had already been supplying coffee to the free venues on HAL for 20 years. Since Beukenhorst makes various coffees, isn't it possible that Beukenhorst still supplies the Lido/MDR one, too? 

I would bet it's the Dutch stuff in Lido. It didn't taste like Folger"s to me. Too smooth.

• Like 1

Everyone has a different preference when it comes to a good cup of coffee. I use gourmet beans at home, and I know I'm never coing to find that quality on a HAL ship in the Lido, so I go to Explorations (or Dutch Cafe) where it's decent. 'You get what you pay for' applies here. 

• Like 2

I notice a difference in taste between the coffees brewed in the Lido and the Dining Room.  Dining room coffee tastes better.  Consequently, I rarely drink coffee in the Lido.

• Like 1

Proctor and Gamble makes a food service version of Folgers. It consistently rates high in blind tests in the restaurant industry. Generally makes the testers mad because they think that they are above such pedestrian coffee.

Perhaps they're too young to remember that the best part of waking up is Folgers in your cup. 😃

• Like 7
  • Haha 7

On the subject of nonalcoholic beverages, what black teas is HAL serving these days? Please not Bigelow. Their herbals maybe good but their black tea is... well, I can't think of a coffee brand  bad enough to do one of those old SAT analogies. Bigelow is to tea as swill is to coffee. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

We agree.

We always enjoy/choose the no surcharge coffee onboard.

I'm fine with it, too. I'm sitting at my desk with a cup of Chock Full o' Nuts from my Mr Coffee, so obviously not a coffee snob.  But when I have HIA, I indulge in a specialty coffee now and then. 

2 hours ago, BobbiSox said:

Everyone has a different preference when it comes to a good cup of coffee. I use gourmet beans at home, and I know I'm never coing to find that quality on a HAL ship in the Lido, so I go to Explorations (or Dutch Cafe) where it's decent. 'You get what you pay for' applies here. 

Yup

Just spent 39 days on K'dam - the coffee machines in the Lido are Melitta so I assume that's the brand of coffee they are brewing but that's just a guess.  Whatever beans they're using, we both thought it tasted much better than on past HAL cruises.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

On the subject of nonalcoholic beverages, what black teas is HAL serving these days? Please not Bigelow. Their herbals maybe good but their black tea is... well, I can't think of a coffee brand  bad enough to do one of those old SAT analogies. Bigelow is to tea as swill is to coffee. 

On our last 2 cruises there was a mix of Bigelow, Twinings for the black tea, and they have loose PG tips tea bags in a canister. We miss the HAL branded tea they used to have, but we like PG tips too. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

HAL always has PG Tips available. Be sure to look for the special container. 

10 minutes ago, sunviking90 said:

On our last 2 cruises there was a mix of Bigelow, Twinings for the black tea, and they have loose PG tips tea bags in a canister. We miss the HAL branded tea they used to have, but we like PG tips too. 

Agree, the HAL branded Darjeeling was a very nice tea- a wonderful afternoon tea. Not sure why they stopped offering this. 

37 minutes ago, OlsSalt said:

Agree, the HAL branded Darjeeling was a very nice tea- a wonderful afternoon tea. Not sure why they stopped offering this. 

I don't know why they discontinued it. I liked it so much DH said I should ask if I could buy some of the tea bags. The next cruise, I was all set to ask when it was gone.   I think I'll bring some Twinings Darjeeling just in case. 

The container of PG Tips is funny. I've seen people look at it like they didn't know what it is, probably because there are no tags. 

• Haha 1