Evacuation Question

JVes

Loosely tied into Fire Safety Question
How do those of us who can't climb stairs evacuate in an emergency?

I've done the muster drill, and used the lifts. Obviously, I can't do that in a real emergency. But I don't want the Captain or crew to go down with the ship just for us. Do they hunt the ship for us and have lovely strong buff sailors carry us out on their backs? (And if so, can I get the numbers for the hot ones?)

They will have devices called stair chairs to move you on the stairs if needed. They are like lightweight wheelchairs that can be operated by one person if needed. You should, at your muster, make sure they crew know you have limited mobility.

• Like 1

The elevators are not "shut down" in an emergency (except those in the fire zone), they are actually placed into "fireman mode" as they are in high-rise buildings.  This means that the call buttons at each deck will no longer call the elevator, but that operation from within the elevator can direct the elevator wherever needed.  If there are passengers who need mobility assistance, there will be crew directed to locate them (if you have notified the ship of your disability upon boarding), and assist them down stairs, either with a stair chair, or with a "four hand carry", or they can have the crew that are at the elevators during muster call the elevator (via radio) to the necessary deck to get you to the muster station deck.  In many cases, when you inform the ship of a mobility issue, they will assign you to the "special needs" muster station as well, where additional crew will be assigned to assist you getting to the boats, if needed, or wherever you need to go.  Has this never been discussed with you at your previous musters?  That is a total lack of protocol and training on the part of the crew.  Especially in the older format "in person" muster, this should have been explained to you.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I'm going with Darwins theory.

Now, if I can be safely assisted, then I'll accept it. If saving me is going to put anyone else in potential jeopardy??? Take care of yourself first and foremost. It may be coldhearted, but I accept that only the fittest survive.

1 hour ago, chengkp75 said:

The elevators are not "shut down" in an emergency (except those in the fire zone), they are actually placed into "fireman mode" as they are in high-rise buildings.  This means that the call buttons at each deck will no longer call the elevator, but that operation from within the elevator can direct the elevator wherever needed.  If there are passengers who need mobility assistance, there will be crew directed to locate them (if you have notified the ship of your disability upon boarding), and assist them down stairs, either with a stair chair, or with a "four hand carry", or they can have the crew that are at the elevators during muster call the elevator (via radio) to the necessary deck to get you to the muster station deck.  In many cases, when you inform the ship of a mobility issue, they will assign you to the "special needs" muster station as well, where additional crew will be assigned to assist you getting to the boats, if needed, or wherever you need to go.  Has this never been discussed with you at your previous musters?  That is a total lack of protocol and training on the part of the crew.  Especially in the older format "in person" muster, this should have been explained to you.

I have a bad back which makes standing for long period of times "difficult" When muster was out on deck, I would go to the special needs station (usually directed there when they see me hunched over). There was always someone that would come around and collect information (name, cabin, would we need assistance in the event of an emergency). Where the muster was in the dining room (or other location where you could sit), I don't recall someone checking for people not in wheelchairs or if it was obvious they might need help. With the new way of doing musters, I can't imagine how this would be checked. 

Recently [December?] Cunard added a section to their 'voyage personalizer' where you indicated if mobility aids were needed. They wanted to know if you can climb stairs unassisted, or needed help.

Mrs Bear brings a 'rollator' to help deal with long lines & wait times embarking & disembarking - plus a collapsable cane.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Has this never been discussed with you at your previous musters?  That is a total lack of protocol and training on the part of the crew.  Especially in the older format "in person" muster, this should have been explained to you.

Quoting only one, but answering all of you. 

No, this has never been discussed with me. My E-muster has required me to view the safety video, then go to my muster station. I use a rollator, so my 'special needs' status should have been obvious, but even so I was never asked (and didn't know to ask) for any special information.
BUT now I know to ask. And I know how people can help me get out of there safely. Thank you, all of you!

Klfrodo: 
The closest I come is that I don't want people to die rescueing me, but every emergency response manual has something like "if safely possible, we don't want to have to rescue both you and your patient".
If they judge it safe to rescue me, then yes please, I want to get out of here!

1 hour ago, JVes said:

My E-muster has required me to view the safety video, then go to my muster station.

I had the feeling that you had not experienced an "old style" muster drill.  Yet another indication that the e-muster format is not providing sufficient experience/training to the passengers.  While I know it is inevitable, I pray that the e-muster is never put to actual use.

• Like 12

Some lines (well, Saga) do try and make the e-muster as similar to the old-style as possible.

When muster is due, all bars/coffee outlets close, everybody is ordered back to the cabin to watch the safety video.

People are called to their muster station according to deck, lifts turned off, and crew stationed by stairwells, doors in exactly the same quantity as when the old style muster took place (meaning that if your nearest exit is via a crew staircase, that is the way you are directed).

All go through the muster station for cards to be swiped, crew making sure nobody stops for a gossip.

Announcement made when every deck/cabin/passenger is accounted for and bars/coffee stations re-open.

Added: announcement also advises that those who have asked for extra assistance to wait in their cabins for crew to attend.

Edited by nosapphire
  • Like 3

It all assumes things go as according to plan, which in the case of a real emergency has a good chance of not happening.  I like the previous advice about notifying your muster person of any mobility issues.  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ldubs said:

It all assumes things go as according to plan, which in the case of a real emergency has a good chance of not happening.  I like the previous advice about notifying your muster person of any mobility issues.  

The notification should be made at Guest Services, immediately upon boarding, so that the information makes it directly to those who prepare the muster lists, Guest Services.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

6 hours ago, nosapphire said:

Some lines (well, Saga) do try and make the e-muster as similar to the old-style as possible.

When muster is due, all bars/coffee outlets close, everybody is ordered back to the cabin to watch the safety video.

People are called to their muster station according to deck, lifts turned off, and crew stationed by stairwells, doors in exactly the same quantity as when the old style muster took place (meaning that if your nearest exit is via a crew staircase, that is the way you are directed).

All go through the muster station for cards to be swiped, crew making sure nobody stops for a gossip.

Announcement made when every deck/cabin/passenger is accounted for and bars/coffee stations re-open.

Added: announcement also advises that those who have asked for extra assistance to wait in their cabins for crew to attend.

It sounds like Saga does not do an "e-muster" at all.  The ability to watch a safety video has been allowed to take the place of any safety talk during muster drills for quite a few years now, even without it being done at one time.  They do a modified "in person" drill that does get everyone to their muster stations, one deck at a time, so that gives a more realistic atmosphere of what an actual emergency would look like than the e-muster that other lines use.  While I don't feel this is as effective training for both passengers and crew as the "in person" drill with all passengers at once, it is far better than the e-muster.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 1/30/2024 at 4:19 AM, chengkp75 said:

I pray that the e-muster is never put to actual use.

It sounds like we are having a Bon Jovi moment here.

Whoa, we're half way there
Oh-oh, livin' on a prayer
Take my hand, we'll make it, I swear
Oh-oh, livin' on a prayer

• Like 2