MERGED: Queen Mary 2 world voyage 2024 Itinerary Change

tjunmin

Really great pricing for Singapore-Cape Town for those who can make it - it's essentially a 21-night voyage for the price of a 7-night winter crossing!

P1: $5819 per person, with $800 OBC

Q5: $7899 per person, with $1250 OBC

I would have been really tempted if I didn't already have other travel plans during this period.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, AUH said:

Really great pricing for Singapore-Cape Town for those who can make it - it's essentially a 21-night voyage for the price of a 7-night winter crossing!

P1: $5819 per person, with $800 OBC

Q5: $7899 per person, with $1250 OBC

I would have been really tempted if I didn't already have other travel plans during this period.

Cape Town to Southampton a bargain too!  

1 hour ago, Wonky said:

Cunard are obviously looking after our US friends. If that’s US dollars? That equates to roughly £9000 for P1 where as it’s £11000 on the UK site!

This is P1 (zero OBC) in US dollars for the Singapore to Cape Town segment.

IMG_8770.jpeg

I'm surprised that the maps on the Cunard website still seem to show it going to Dubai, etc.

I also tried a dummy booking & the UK site doesn't seem to work for me & the US website seems to show no inside cabins (for example).  Maybe its because I am looking from Australia.

I guess they are probably concentrating on sorting out existing bookings to see what they have available & update their website accordingly.

3 hours ago, gaz1 said:

I'm surprised that the maps on the Cunard website still seem to show it going to Dubai, etc.

I also tried a dummy booking & the UK site doesn't seem to work for me & the US website seems to show no inside cabins (for example).  Maybe its because I am looking from Australia.

I guess they are probably concentrating on sorting out existing bookings to see what they have available & update their website accordingly.

I think they have a lot to do, so maps not at the top of the list. If you look at the Port Louis excursions I want to ride the ATV's upside down. LOL 

• Haha 1

FYI: All excursion refunds for the canceled ports were posted last night to our credit card (individual credits, not just one total sum). We are on the Singapore to Southampton trip and are going with the alternate route.

Edited by AuthBen3
  • Like 4

I did that ate excursion a couple of years ago, it was a blast and well worth it, the poor old guide had trouble stopping us from racing each other....it was like herding kittens...

14 hours ago, gaz1 said:

I have to imagine there are going to be a LOT of empty cabins after they sort through and process all the cancellations for voyages beginning in Singapore.  Or am I wrong in thinking so?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, ChrisMV said:

I have to imagine there are going to be a LOT of empty cabins after they sort through and process all the cancellations for voyages beginning in Singapore.  Or am I wrong in thinking so?

That's a fair assumption. As of now I'm seeing a total of 80 sheltered balcony cabins available on the Singapore to Cape Town voyage and 72 sheltered balconies on the longer Singapore to Southampton voyage. I didn't check any other categories. And that's not even looking at the voyages beginning in Sydney and Hong Kong that originally ended or called at Dubai or the voyages that were originally starting in Dubai to Southampton and New York.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bluemarble said:

That's a fair assumption. As of now I'm seeing a total of 80 sheltered balcony cabins available on the Singapore to Cape Town voyage and 72 sheltered balconies on the longer Singapore to Southampton voyage. I didn't check any other categories. And that's not even looking at the voyages beginning in Sydney and Hong Kong that originally ended or called at Dubai or the voyages that were originally starting in Dubai to Southampton and New York.

I tried searching for the Singapore to Cape Town voyage on the Australian Cunard site yesterday to no avail - doesn't seem to be available to book through this market which will not help fill all those cabins you mention!

54 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

I tried searching for the Singapore to Cape Town voyage on the Australian Cunard site yesterday to no avail - doesn't seem to be available to book through this market which will not help fill all those cabins you mention!

That is rather odd. When I pretend I'm in Australia, I'm seeing the same thing on the Cunard Australia site. Voyage M408, Singapore to Cape Town, is showing "Sold Out". But the longer voyage M408A, Singapore to Southampton, is showing the same availability as I'm seeing on the Cunard US site.

I suppose they never had to take voyage M408A (Singapore to Southampton) offline, but they did have to do so with the original M408 (Singapore to Dubai). Why they haven't brought the revised M408 (Singapore to Cape Town) back online yet in Australia is a bit of a mystery.

Edited by bluemarble

25 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

That is rather odd. When I pretend I'm in Australia, I'm seeing the same thing on the Cunard Australia site. Voyage M408, Singapore to Cape Town, is showing "Sold Out". But the longer voyage M408A, Singapore to Southampton, is showing the same availability as I'm seeing on the Cunard US site.

I suppose they never had to take voyage M408A (Singapore to Southampton) offline, but they did have to do so with the original M408 (Singapore to Dubai). Why they haven't brought the revised M408 (Singapore to Cape Town) back online yet in Australia is a bit of a mystery.

Very curious. When I search using the voyage number you supplied I can find it on the Aust. website but if one searches more generally for voyages in March, 2024 boarding in Singapore there are only two - M408A and V408C. Searching again devoid of any port of boarding preference also fails to show M408 as a result.

Ah, but a further look on the M408 page shows all categories of cabin as sold out. So they have nothing to sell...?

Edited by LittleFish1976

This theory is slightly complicated by what bluemarble has said about the US site; but I believe Cunard's system is unable to make the same cabin available for two cruise numbers. That was certainly the case in September when we were making a booking through our agent. The agent had to contact Cunard and have the berthing team agree to release our cabin from the two shorter itineraries and allocate it to ours.

A fairly basic scheduling system would allow the same cabin to be available to: Singapore to Southampton, Singapore to Cape Town, and Cape Town to Southampton simultaneously. As soon as the cabin is sold to any one of those, the system would remove it from any others that overlapped.

If someone is keen to get details I would phone Cunard or get my agent to do so.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 12:24 PM, KJR999 said:

We certainly don’t plan cancel and will join the Cruise in Singapore which no doubt we will enjoy, but shine has been taken off it and feel that Cunard are short changing us because of the major route change.

My wife and I did a similar cruise on Queen Victoria and had an interesting time with some new ports.  

I wrote a blog on it....

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2019/05/06/queen-victoria-singapore-to-cape-town/

...though, having done the Cape Town to Southampton voyage a number of times we chose to spend some time in Cape Town. 

12 hours ago, D&N said:

This theory is slightly complicated by what bluemarble has said about the US site; but I believe Cunard's system is unable to make the same cabin available for two cruise numbers. That was certainly the case in September when we were making a booking through our agent. The agent had to contact Cunard and have the berthing team agree to release our cabin from the two shorter itineraries and allocate it to ours.

A fairly basic scheduling system would allow the same cabin to be available to: Singapore to Southampton, Singapore to Cape Town, and Cape Town to Southampton simultaneously. As soon as the cabin is sold to any one of those, the system would remove it from any others that overlapped.

If someone is keen to get details I would phone Cunard or get my agent to do so.

Yes, that's correct about the same cabin never being assigned to two different voyages that overlap. Here are examples from some of the voyages we're discussing here to illustrate this point. Each of these diagrams show the available sheltered balcony cabins in the mid-forward section of deck 4 on QM2.

Voyage M408 (Singapore to Cape Town)

M408.jpg.bb5c0b0052c9b2f9150f20ddb277a0e4.jpg

Voyage M409 (Cape Town to Southampton)

M409.jpg.3c944c12ef3bc4c395d95120374998bb.jpg

Voyage M408A (Singapore to Southampton)

M408A.jpg.465dc0d26237c501b16b0bd62fd03273.jpg

Quite a few of the same cabins are available on both M408 (Singapore to Cape Town) and M409 (Cape Town to Southampton). Those voyages don't overlap. But none of those cabins available on voyages M408 and M409 are also available on the combined voyage M408A (Singapore to Southampton). Similarly, none of the cabins available on the combined voyage M408A are available on either of the separate segments M408 and M409.

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 2

On 2/3/2024 at 4:09 PM, D&N said:

You could look into the possibility of disembarking in Colombo.

There are direct flights to Dubai that would get you there before your planned arrival.

Cunard will not let us disembark in Colombo as of today, when we checked again with them. 

1 minute ago, VIII88 said:

Cunard will not let us disembark in Colombo as of today, when we checked again with them. 

Have they explained why as I would be surprised if they could stop you especially as they have changed the routing?

If you had an emergency and needed to fly home urgently how could they stop you disembarking, especially if had a Visa?

It's interesting that the Cunard Australia website still has the Singapore-Capetown sector "Sold out" in all categories.  Maybe they have a lot of Australian bookings they are trying to process but its strange you can see new pricing on UK & US Cunard websites.

When I spoke with Cunard a week or so ago they said there was no time scale for cancellation.

We are booked for Singapore to Southampton and are on the verge of cancelling. We've been round the bottom of Africa before and have visited all the places it will be stopping at. So, whilst our cruise cost represents good 'value', particularly now with the OB spend and FCC, it just doesn't feel as exciting as a holiday should be.

12 hours ago, VIII88 said:

Provided that you are capable of carrying your own luggage off the ship and that you had arranged with immigration in Sri Lanka, I'm not sure how they could stop you.

Other folk will be leaving the ship for tours and shore visits, so there must be a gangway.