MERGED: Queen Mary 2 world voyage 2024 Itinerary Change

tjunmin

4 hours ago, carran61 said:

But they can be held account to changing the itinerary to purely suit themselves . Dubai would be a perfectly safe port to call at. The omission of Dubai is 100% for Cunard's benefit and has nothing to do with the safety of quests. Dumping us in the southern hemisphere instead of Dubai where choices of flights is more limited and very expensive isn't on. Don't get me wrong I love Cunard and have done many cruises with them but they could at least be offering FCC. 

I believe Dubai & Persian Gulf are no longer deemed safe, due to increased Iranian activity.  Insurers may have decided that area would no longer be covered.  And what knowledge do you have that they have time to get to Dubai and back to SOU anyway?  It might mean dropping most port stops on the way, which would be a huge negative for everyone on the trip.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, rog747 said:

Also, P&O have done the same with the Arcadia world sector. They are not offering the option of joining in Cape Town. 

Incidentally, P&O Arcadia's altered itinerary is poorer than QM2's. Endless sea days (we absolutely love them, but not everyone does), no Walvis Bay or Lisbon and generally few ports of call from Singapore on (Penang, Langkawi, Phuket, or Colombo seemingly were not in the original itinerary, as were in QM2's). QM2's new itinerary seems comparatively well taken care of.

• Like 4

to misquote Lincoln: you can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time but you cannot please all of the people all of the time. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, carran61 said:

But they can be held account to changing the itinerary to purely suit themselves . Dubai would be a perfectly safe port to call at. The omission of Dubai is 100% for Cunard's benefit and has nothing to do with the safety of quests. Dumping us in the southern hemisphere instead of Dubai where choices of flights is more limited and very expensive isn't on. Don't get me wrong I love Cunard and have done many cruises with them but they could at least be offering FCC. 

These things happen and it’s unfortunate but not Cunard’s fault.

Have you considered flying from Cape Town to Dubai and getting your original flight home?

I’m not sure of the exact dates of your stop in Dubai but a flight on 12th April from CPT to DXB is £354 and there are two flights per day.

Call Emirates and see what they say with your original booking details. It’s worth a try!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Winifred 22 said:

Sorry I very much doubt if the powers that be at Carnival U K and Carnival Corp are reading C C and taking a steer from the comments on here. 

Actually, I did ask the Cunard phone reps and they say that the “powers that be” read comments on CC. I wonder if those powers roll their eyes at some comments but she said CC is looked at by them. 

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Cunard can't be held to account for having to change the itinerary for this cruise.

If your flights were booked with Cunard, they will get you home/change the flights, at their expense. If flights were booked independently, then having to arrange other flights at your own expense is  a pitfall of doing so.

Not all of what you say is necessarily correct, yes if you book flights independently then you do have to rearrange those yourself but depending on circumstances, Cunard can cover your costs of the new flights, if your insurers won't.

23 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

Not all of what you say is necessarily correct, yes if you book flights independently then you do have to rearrange those yourself but depending on circumstances, Cunard can cover your costs of the new flights, if your insurers won't.

Yes, they paid the cancellation charges Qatar charged us - a not inconsiderable amount - when our cruise was cancelled in 2020. We had booked that flight ourselves. And what’s more, we received the payment the day after we applied.

Edited by cruiseluvva
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

Actually, I am correct.

It IS a pitfall of booking your own flights.

Will Cunard will step in if insurers won't? I'm sure they can, but will they, for everyone? No idea.

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

Actually, I am correct.

It IS a pitfall of booking your own flights.

Will Cunard will step in if insurers won't? I'm sure they can, but will they, for everyone? No idea.

I did say that not all of what you say is correct and that is the case, for they can and do reimburse monies lost on cancelled flights.

5 minutes ago, seasickphil said:

I did say that not all of what you say is correct and that is the case, for they can and do reimburse monies lost on cancelled flights.

For all, and for the expense of rebooking a probably more expensive flight?

Whatever the outcome, the pitfall of booking your own flights will involve extra expense and the hassle of making your own arrangements.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

For all, and for the expense of rebooking a probably more expensive flight?

Whatever the outcome, the pitfall of booking your own flights will involve extra expense and the hassle of making your own arrangements.

I'm sorry to have to disagree again but we were on the Covid interrupted QM2 2020 cruise and we were not left out of pocket at all regarding flights.We were fully reimbursed our money we paid for our rearranged flights from Singapore that we did ourselves and as we didn't go to Singapore but instead ended up in Perth Australia and the Chief Purser for Cunard then rearranged our flights and a 2 night 5 star hotel stay in Perth at no cost for us at all.

All i'm trying to do is inform people who should have disembarked in Dubai who have made their own flight arrangements, that there is a possibility that Cunard could reimburse their costs, incurred in having to fly home from Cape Town instead of Dubai.While you rightly say that it's not Cunard's fault, it is also not the guests fault either.

4 hours ago, seasickphil said:

I'm sorry to have to disagree again but we were on the Covid interrupted QM2 2020 cruise and we were not left out of pocket at all regarding flights.We were fully reimbursed our money we paid for our rearranged flights from Singapore that we did ourselves and as we didn't go to Singapore but instead ended up in Perth Australia and the Chief Purser for Cunard then rearranged our flights and a 2 night 5 star hotel stay in Perth at no cost for us at all.

All i'm trying to do is inform people who should have disembarked in Dubai who have made their own flight arrangements, that there is a possibility that Cunard could reimburse their costs, incurred in having to fly home from Cape Town instead of Dubai.While you rightly say that it's not Cunard's fault, it is also not the guests fault either.

we were on the same  2020  world cruise and they reimbursed us for every penny including first class and hotels etc

5 hours ago, Fayetheatre said:

we were on the same  2020  world cruise and they reimbursed us for every penny including first class and hotels etc

How exactly did they do this?  Was there some kind of Cunard reimbursement request form that you filled out and mailed in with a copy of your expenses?

Whilst this is not a Covid scenario and it's not the fault of Cunard or passengers this situation has occurred it highlights the pluses of having a flight bundled up into the cruise ticket.

I will keep my fingers crossed those who made their own flight arrangements manage to be reimbursed by one way or another and that rearranging flights is fairly painless.

Anyone involved, please keep us informed.

• Like 2

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has been offered any incentives for staying on the Singapore to Dubai (now Singapore to Cape Town) sector?

On 1/30/2024 at 7:49 AM, Vulcanair said:

Just been informed by  our TA that the QM2 is now NOT rouiting through the Red Sea in April. We are on the Singapore to Dubai leg. Notsure what is happening after Singapore. Any further updates anyone? They will let us know by 7 Feb s to what is happening

Cunard website (USA version at least) slowly updating with the new itineraries

https://www.cunard.com/en-us/find-a-cruise/M408/M408

I have been mulling over Cunard’s offer of OBC and FCC for the last 24 hours given the major itinerary change due to the crisis in the Red Sea. Whilst understanding Cunard had no choice in having to make the change, I feel what is offered as compensation is very very disappointing. My compensation equates to 17% of the original fare paid which IMHO does not compensate for such a major change. We have previous cruised the new itinerary route on the QM2 and specifically booked the Singapore to Southampton because it was stopping at ports in the UAE. So we are being offered a cruise we didn’t book or want to do and the compensation does not that does not make up for such a major change.

I’ve written this to seek other people’s opinions to see if what is being offered is fair given such a major change?

Edited by KJR999
Update

38 minutes ago, Victoria2 said:

I don't for one moment envy Cunard. Legal requirements or gestures of goodwill, whatever, there are going to be some very upset passengers.

On the other hand, there would have been even more passengers, even more upset, had they pressed on through the Red Sea. And I am rather inclined to think that, if I were the malevolent owner of a missile, QM2 is the ship I’d be keenest to hit, because of its fame, recognisability, and publicity value.

2 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

it highlights the pluses of having a flight bundled up into the cruise ticket.

That i do have to agree, unfortunately this don't work for us because as we have got older getting down to Heathrow has become more of an unnecessary chore. For us we now find it more convenient to fly out of our local airport via Schiphol. When we sail with Regent and Viking they can offer us flights out of Norwich but unfortunately Cunard can not, leaving us with no other option than booking our flights independently, although since the 2020 kerfuffle we do get our TA to book our flights along with the cruise and then if anything unforeseen happens again to us, then at least they can deal with all the hooha that goes with that and not us.

1 hour ago, KJR999 said:

I have been mulling over Cunard’s offer of OBC and FCC for the last 24 hours given the major itinerary change due to the crisis in the Red Sea. Whilst understanding Cunard had no choice in having to make the change, I feel what is offered as compensation is very very disappointing. My compensation equates to 17% of the original fare paid which IMHO does not compensate for such a major change. We have previous cruised the new itinerary route on the QM2 and specifically booked the Singapore to Southampton because it was stopping at ports in the UAE. So we are being offered a cruise we didn’t book or want to do and the compensation does not that does not make up for such a major change.

I’ve written this to seek other people’s opinions to see if what is being offered is fair given such a major change?

I think it’s reasonable given the circumstances and I don’t think they are not likely to increase it. 

Edited by Winifred 22

1 hour ago, KJR999 said:

While i appreciate your understandable disappointment, Cunard, along with all the other cruise lines with ships in that area have no other option than to reroute. I can't think there would be anyone who would think it pleasurable to be on a cruise ship around that area at the moment. It is a hugely depressing situation for everyone in that area at the moment.